Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle

As and from 22 November 2013, passengers who are selected for a body scan may decline and receive a "private search alternative".

Body scanners are in place or on their way to the majority of major international airports in the UK. As of the end of 2013, they are deployed in LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN, EDI, GLA, STN, LCY, and BFS and were deployed in late 2014/early 2015 to ABZ, BHD, BRS, CWL, EMA, LBA, LPL, LTN, NCL and PIK. Until 21 November 2013, passengers declining a scan once selected were denied passage through the checkpoint and offloaded from their flight. As of 22 November 2013, passengers selected may decline a scan and will be hand-searched in a private room. This search may require the loosening or removal of some items of clothing and the passenger may have a witness present. The passenger's carry-on items will also be thoroughly searched and may be subject to explosive threat detection swabbing. Details of some FlyerTalkers' opt-out experiences can be read in post #606 and #661.

All body scanners in the UK are of the millimetre wave type. Backscatter machines were previously used but withdrawn in 2012. There are 4 models in use: the L3 ProVision, the L3 ProVision 2, the Smiths eqo (which has a passing resemblance to the single-pose Rapiscan backscatter), and the Rohde & Schwarz Quick Personnel Scanner. All use Automatic Threat Recognition software so the result of the scan is immediately visible in the form of a so-called "Gumby" figure on the screen. The passenger and the security clerk will see the figure and any anomalies are outlined with boxes; these areas are then patted down.

Scanners are not used as primary and all passengers pass through walk-through metal detectors in the first instance. In most locations, the scanner is associated with one WTMD and if you trigger this WTMD you will be directed to the scanner. Note that WTMDs in the UK are set to randomly beep with a certain probability (perhaps 15%) even if you have no metal. In some locations, however, the scanner is set back from the checkpoint and security clerks select people based on undisclosed criteria, sometimes after they have already packed up their stuff and put it back in their bags/pockets/etc.

A passenger may, if so inclined, request to be screened by the scanner rather than passing through the WTMD, which one supposes may be preferable to certain passengers possessed of metal implants which they cannot divest.

Historically the chance of being selected for scanning on any given trip was quite low, as there are generally multiple lanes at any given checkpoint but only one or two scanners. This is now changing at non-London airports where the lanes with scanners are used most and non-scanner lanes only opened to handle peak demand, and at London airports where more scanners are being installed. It was also usually the case through 2014 that fast track lanes for premium and status passengers were WTMD only; this is sadly history now.

Unless otherwise stated, the scanners below are located behind WTMDs and passengers beeping the WTMDs are scanned.

Scanner locations per airport:

LHR T1: Closed
LHR T2: Scanners on all lanes behind WTMD, except the very furthest lane from the entrance.
LHR T3: Recent information required.
LHR T4: Recent information required.
LHR T5: Scanners on most lanes behind WTMD. Due to limited space the lanes at either end of north checkpoint and at either end of south checkpoint (but not fast track) are scanner-free.
LGW TN: WTMD + scanner in every lane.
LGW TS: WTMD + scanner in every lane. Sometimes scanners switched to primary.
MAN: Scanners: one per checkpoint, used as secondary screening in lieu of pat-down if WTMD triggered.
EDI: Update needed from new checkpoint
STN: Scanners behind the WTMDs for lanes 7/8 and 15/16.
LCY: Scanners in both checkpoints, used as secondary. Two safe lanes in the old checkpoint (the one with automatic boarding pass scan gates) so use that and try to SDOO.
GLA: Between lanes 3 and 4. Note, fast track normally uses lanes 1 and 2 but you can get unlucky. (Updated 25 January 2014)
BFS: Scanner used as secondary if you trip the WTMD.
ABZ: Information needed
SOU: Scanner behind the only WTMD
BHD, LPL, BRS, EMA, NCL, LBA, LTN, CWL: Information also needed

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ty-scanners--2
Print Wikipost

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I've updated the wikipost as the number of scanners continues to proliferate. Those visiting London may wish to use Southend (SEN), which is reported scanner free, to leave.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Stansted now has two body scanners.

One located between lanes 7 and 8, the new one between lanes 15 and 16.

At less busy times, only these lanes appear to be open.
There are now at least four body scanners at Stansted. They are very difficult to avoid, as your choice of automated boarding pass entry gate dictates which lane you end up in. The lane barriers are not fixed, so staff can move them around depending on demand.

There are lanes without the body scanner, but these appear to be the first to close when the airport is least busy.

Selection criteria appears to be those who set off the WTMD only (whether random or because of an actual reason).

I have no experience of opting out here, as I am yet to be asked to use the device.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:10 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have now tried opting out in all LHR terminals. In all cases, the "security manager" tried spurious reasoning followed by threats of an indeterminate wait to convince me to go through. In all cases, I waited less than 5 minutes before being directed to a room.

Also in all cases, I was asked to pick up my belongings and then follow, as in walk behind, the screeners who were only looking forward and not actually watching me.

No attempts were made to observe whether I moved items between my person (not yet screened) and my bags, which had already been through the X-ray. In fact in one case I was encouraged to remove my coat, which I had not sent through the X-ray, and this was not searched during the private screening.

The manual searches themselves were all rather cursory. In T3 only, after the search I was asked to sign a form consenting to the manual search. There were 4 forms per page and I noticed the name above mine was potentially a joke/fake name. After I signed I was told to leave the clipboard on the table, where nobody looked at it and we all left the room.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
I have now tried opting out in all LHR terminals. In all cases, the "security manager" tried spurious reasoning followed by threats of an indeterminate wait to convince me to go through. In all cases, I waited less than 5 minutes before being directed to a room.

Also in all cases, I was asked to pick up my belongings and then follow, as in walk behind, the screeners who were only looking forward and not actually watching me.

No attempts were made to observe whether I moved items between my person (not yet screened) and my bags, which had already been through the X-ray. In fact in one case I was encouraged to remove my coat, which I had not sent through the X-ray, and this was not searched during the private screening.

The manual searches themselves were all rather cursory. In T3 only, after the search I was asked to sign a form consenting to the manual search. There were 4 forms per page and I noticed the name above mine was potentially a joke/fake name. After I signed I was told to leave the clipboard on the table, where nobody looked at it and we all left the room.
But I'm sure you feel a lot safer now.

/s
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:13 am

How best to complain to CAA?

Or maybe this is all just not worth complaining about. Manchester, T1, first was told no scan no fly. Then was told the scanners are perfectly safe, no different to a cell phone even though I had already said I was not opting out through safety concerns. Finally was pressured with the intensive search threat.

While waiting, was again asked why I didn't want to go through. Reiterated that I have a philosophical disagreement with the machines and that I do not enjoy being made to stand in a surrender position. I stated that that that was my opinion. Was told that that was "silly" - direct quote. Asked for the screener's name, at which point she covered her badge, told me I couldn't have it, and that was her opinion.

She was actually the one who conducted the search, kept her badge tucked inside her cardigan the entire time, blocked my view of the form when she signed it.

The search itself was completely professional, although very in depth, but *I felt* that my treatment prior to the search was anything but professional.

So, complain, or put on my big girl panties and get over it? If complain, how?

(For info, I've done enough travel to be LH FTL since 2004, including at least one trip yearly to the States. I get how security works, but the UK has lately surpassed TSA *in my opinion*.)

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shippeb
the UK has lately surpassed TSA *in my opinion*
In my opinion as well.

You can write a complaint but without the person's name it won't hold much water. I suspect the policy of discouraging opt outs is quite deliberate and comes down from above.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by shippeb
but the UK has lately surpassed TSA *in my opinion*.)
I also agree, if you remove the word 'lately'.

Question: What on earth is that scanner they use at LCY? I normally see the ATD teleporter-style things, but that was something else.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Skatering
I also agree, if you remove the word 'lately'.

Question: What on earth is that scanner they use at LCY? I normally see the ATD teleporter-style things, but that was something else.
Is it one of these?
http://www.smithsdetection.com/index...0#.WHkmgn1u0TA
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
LCY has two L3 ProVision 2s and one Smiths eqo.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:37 am

Yes, that's the one. Always unnerves me when I see a new piece of equipment when I'm not expecting it.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:42 am

Yes, that's the one. Always unnerves me when I see a new piece of equipment when I'm not expecting it.
Do you know how it works? Looking at the picture, it seems to have a walk through arch built in - is that a WTMD? Then stand in the surrender position.

I guess this has an advantage of not being enclosed, which is one of my objections to the current millimetre wave devices.

Considering how much I travel, I am very surprised I'm yet to be offered one of these scans (in the UK). Reading the experiences on here, I'm likely to comply (unfortunately) as I rarely allow enough time for any hassle on the way (typically 45 to 55 mins allowed for security, compulsory shop walk through then walk to gate).
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:58 am

Do you know how it works? Looking at the picture, it seems to have a walk through arch built in - is that a WTMD? Then stand in the surrender position.

I guess this has an advantage of not being enclosed, which is one of my objections to the current millimetre wave devices.

Considering how much I travel, I am very surprised I'm yet to be offered one of these scans (in the UK). Reading the experiences on here, I'm likely to comply (unfortunately) as I rarely allow enough time for any hassle on the way (typically 45 to 55 mins allowed for security, compulsory shop walk through then walk to gate).
IIRC there isn't a WMTD and you're just directed to stand in the surrender position. After all, building in a WMTD would be too sensible for today's security theatre.

I've only been selected for one of these scans (CPH) and not having a clue what it was, promptly opted out. In the ten minutes of 'discussion', I was repeatedly ordered to stand in front of it (without walking through anything first). After saying 'No thank you. I opt out. Pat down', about twenty times, they finally relented. Then my carry-ons were 'randomly' selected for a search. Such coincidence.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You stand adjacent to the arch with hands held slightly raised to either side (not the surrender position). The clerk switches the machine on and you do a 360 degree twirl on the spot.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by stifle
You stand adjacent to the arch with hands held slightly raised to either side (not the surrender position). The clerk switches the machine on and you do a 360 degree twirl on the spot.
And there I was thinking that ATD machines were undignifying.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:03 pm

And there I was thinking that ATD machines were undignifying.
Maybe they should "put one finger on the tip of your nose and tap your head" to the procedure...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.