Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV speaks out on Phil's case

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by doober
You've said it yourself, Flies. TSA shows up on your train and starts doing searches of passengers, there is going to be a revolt.
You think so???

As much as I would like to believe it to be true, how many brave folks will start to wilt when hit with thousands of dollars in administrative fines (which have a dubious appeal process?)

The framework is already in place. The ability to fine for rail events is already written into the enforcement policy. A few tweaks, and it is there.

How many people have read this document?
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/enforc...nce_policy.pdf

Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Just curious. If the penalty for 'false threat' is $1-$2k, what is the penalty for a 'real' threat? How does a TSO determine whether a threat is 'false' or 'real'? Or is that a BDO determination?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Just curious. If the penalty for 'false threat' is $1-$2k, what is the penalty for a 'real' threat? How does a TSO determine whether a threat is 'false' or 'real'? Or is that a BDO determination?
It can't be left to a TSO's discretion without objective standards -- that would render the regulation impermissibly vague.

I'm also curious how "threat" is defined. Is saying, "You're not following your SOP and I'm going to report you to your supervisor," a threat? How about, "I'll submit to your pat down because I need to fly today, but I'm reserving all of my rights under law,"? Or, as I once said in response to a threat from a TSO, "Not only do I want you to call a cop, I insist that you do. I'm not moving until you call one over,"?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by PTravel
It can't be left to a TSO's discretion without objective standards -- that would render the regulation impermissibly vague.

I'm also curious how "threat" is defined. Is saying, "You're not following your SOP and I'm going to report you to your supervisor," a threat? How about, "I'll submit to your pat down because I need to fly today, but I'm reserving all of my rights under law,"? Or, as I once said in response to a threat from a TSO, "Not only do I want you to call a cop, I insist that you do. I'm not moving until you call one over,"?
And those 'objective standards' are most likely SSI.

I wonder if 'interfering with the screening process' also constitutes a threat?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
You think so???

As much as I would like to believe it to be true, how many brave folks will start to wilt when hit with thousands of dollars in administrative fines (which have a dubious appeal process?)

The framework is already in place. The ability to fine for rail events is already written into the enforcement policy. A few tweaks, and it is there.

How many people have read this document?
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/enforc...nce_policy.pdf

Knowing Flies, I don't think he makes idle threats.

Interesting that no where on the list provided do I see a fine in the amount of $11,000 for failure to complete the screening process.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by doober
Knowing Flies, I don't think he makes idle threats.

Interesting that no where on the list provided do I see a fine in the amount of $11,000 for failure to complete the screening process.
I would guess they are using a combination of 2a and 4.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:26 am

Every TSO should be fined the maximum $3000 each and every time they enter the sterile area without screening.

Oh, I forgot....they've been vetted by worthless criminal background checks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.