Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US airline "security" contractors scanning & printing out passport bio-data pages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US airline "security" contractors scanning & printing out passport bio-data pages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

A significant group of the foreign "security" contractors hired by US airlines to check out passengers flying to the US are scanning (and storing) at least parts of the personal information/photograph pages on passports -- including US passports -- of the passengers flying to the US.

These (mostly foreign) contractors have all the required passport information/photo image to make real the dreams of identity thieves -- some being government employees engaged in identity theft for a variety of purposes, including espionage and other related criminal activity -- and make a headache for persons whose personal passport details are mishandled/misused by the contractors.

Add in that such contractors have been known to sometimes print-out the scanned passport page(s) and do who knows what with the print-outs, and this is a recipe for more trouble than has been the case already for victims of identity information being misused.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A significant group of the foreign "security" contractors hired by US airlines to check out passengers flying to the US are scanning (and storing) at least parts of the personal information/photograph pages on passports -- including US passports -- of the passengers flying to the US.

These (mostly foreign) contractors have all the required passport information/photo image to make real the dreams of identity thieves -- some being government employees engaged in identity theft for a variety of purposes, including espionage and other related criminal activity -- and make a headache for persons whose personal passport details are mishandled/misused by the contractors.

Add in that such contractors have been known to sometimes print-out the scanned passport page(s) and do who knows what with the print-outs, and this is a recipe for more trouble than has been the case already for victims of identity information being misused.
?? How are they gaining access to US passports if they are overseas and the pax are US-bound?

I'm just reviewing my travel experiences, and the only time anyone overseas has access to my passport (regarding flying) is when I actually present myself at airport checkin and passport control.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:15 pm

Please substantiate this.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Please substantiate this.
Don't hold your breath-- it is often a "trust me, I'm right, I know" sort of thing. Though one can hold out hope . . .
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
?? How are they gaining access to US passports if they are overseas and the pax are US-bound?

I'm just reviewing my travel experiences, and the only time anyone overseas has access to my passport (regarding flying) is when I actually present myself at airport checkin and passport control.
They gain access to US (and other) passports when the passengers are overseas and are in the line to get checked in on US-bound flights on US airlines. They being the contractors who scan the passports into the portable computer devices just before the passengers even check-in with the airline rep at airports, the contractors who also ask questions of passengers waiting to check-in for the US-bound flights on US airlines.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
They gain access to US (and other) passports when the passengers are overseas and are in the line to get checked in on US-bound flights on US airlines. They being the contractors who scan the passports into the portable computer devices just before the passengers even check-in with the airline rep at airports, the contractors who also ask questions of passengers waiting to check-in for the US-bound flights on US airlines.
Oops, you're right, completely spaced on those folks. At the very least, they seem to be using laptops and we all know how secure data on a laptop is...
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Oops, you're right, completely spaced on those folks. At the very least, they seem to be using laptops and we all know how secure data on a laptop is...
The data (including scanned image files) on some of those computers ought to be a concern for those who really care about preventing misuse of passenger identity as noted in currently valid passports (US passports or otherwise); also what ought to be a concern is the airline- and/or contractor-handling of print-outs made from the scanned images made by the contractors.

How much do DHS and State care about these substantial "opportunities" for identity thieves (government-employed identity thieves or otherwise) to get access to US passport info/images and exploit the use of the same? Not enough is my answer.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:38 am
Suspended

How much do DHS and State care about these substantial "opportunities" for identity thieves (government-employed identity thieves or otherwise) to get access to US passport info/images and exploit the use of the same? Not enough is my answer.
They don't even care about TSA employee data enough to safeguard it.

Why should they care about random passengers?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:17 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The data (including scanned image files) on some of those computers ought to be a concern for those who really care about preventing misuse of passenger identity as noted in currently valid passports (US passports or otherwise); also what ought to be a concern is the airline- and/or contractor-handling of print-outs made from the scanned images made by the contractors.

I happen to agree with you here; do you know which private contractors do this? Do all? Some don't scan my passport at all.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I happen to agree with you here; do you know which private contractors do this? Do all? Some don't scan my passport at all.
And who are these people ie are the local, or US employees, or other? I ask because at MUC the last few times I encountered several who spoke almost no German or broken German (granted, it was a US carrier bound for the US, but still....) A few also used 'ma'am' and other American forms of speech. At LHR it was not as pronounced to me in my last few experiences.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:40 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
And who are these people ie are the local, or US employees, or other? I ask because at MUC the last few times I encountered several who spoke almost no German or broken German (granted, it was a US carrier bound for the US, but still....) A few also used 'ma'am' and other American forms of speech. At LHR it was not as pronounced to me in my last few experiences.
Private contractors; it will vary from airport to airport. Sometimes it might be the local airport security people under contract to do the extra screening, sometimes it might be an Israeil contractor* or a US contractor or one from another country. The employees seem to be 'of all nations'.

*ICTS International was the Israel-owned security contractor in charge at AMS when the panty-bomber boarded.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:41 am

Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
I happen to know of some who have done this -- it's not all of them.

They are usually not US government employees and most of the referred to contractors are not Americans. Many of them are not even citizens of the country in which they are working at the airport in these roles -- and at some airports the majority of them are foreigners. Almost none of them would qualify for a so-called Yankee White in the US. They are mostly private contractors retained by the US airlines but some others of them work for the airport operators.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:17 pm

Very disturbing.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:14 pm
KCK

Originally Posted by Ari
I happen to know of some who have done this -- it's not all of them.
They are usually not US government employees and most of the referred to contractors are not Americans. Many of them are not even citizens of the country in which they are working at the airport in these roles -- and at some airports the majority of them are foreigners. Almost none of them would qualify for a so-called Yankee White in the US. They are mostly private contractors retained by the US airlines but some others of them work for the airport operators.
Besides this august group, who have you notified of this practice? Have you complained to the airline(s) involved? Have you contacted your Congresscritter about this very real threat to your personal security and potentially to national security?

Honestly, what percentage of Americans would qualify for a Yankee White clearance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.