Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gulag Archipelago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Gulag Archipelago

I'm a fan of Solzhenitsyn, and I decided to look back through Gulag Archipelago, which I read a few years ago. Though we're not (yet) being sent to prison camps, the parallels to the TSA are unsettling. I recommend it, especially a chapter called, incredibly, "The Bluecaps":

Here's an excerpt...

The motivations and actions of the bluecaps are sometimes so petty that one can only be astounded. Security officer Senchenko took a map case and dispatch case from an officer he'd arrested and started to use them in his presence, and, by manipulating the documentation, he took a pair of foreign gloves from another prisoner. (When the armies were advancing, the bluecaps were especially irritated because they got only second pick of the booty.) The counterintelligence officer who arrested me had a yen for my cigarette case -- and it wasn't even a cigarette case but a small German Army box... And because of that piece of s*** he carried out a whole maneuver: As his first step, he omitted it from the list of belongings that were confiscated from me... He thereupon ordered me to be searched again, knowing all the time that it was all I had in my pockets. "Aha! What's that? Take it away!" And to prevent my protests: "Put him in the punishment cell!"(p. 152-153)
There's also an interesting part about the use of criminal prisoners in the camps to terrorize the political prisoners. I haven't found it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.