Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Chastised at Admiral's Club for anti-NOS flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond

As I was placing some anti-NOS flyers in the LGA Admiral's Club, a lady who works there noticed and said that I can't do that. Her words were:

"We hate them too but they have nothing to do with us so we can't keep these here."

I had to laugh when she said that ( ^ )and could have gone into a discussion how they aren't for you but for the passengers but I knew what her point was. I just said, "OK, chuck em then!"

Then as I was exiting the club I heard her say to her co-worker "That's the guy that was putting these out". I turned around, smiled and waved, and said "That's right and I'm gonna keep doing it too!"

Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Bad flyer, bad bad flyer, go sit in coach next to the lav

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jan 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:49 pm

I suspect what she meant was that they are not allowed to condone ANY "advertising" material from "outside".. no matter how much they personally might agree with it!

Sensible policy really... otherwise stuff relating to everyones pet concerns would have to be given equal treatment... and that would be a nightmare I'm sure...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Glad to see that you stood up to them ^ If only you were continuing to fly, I'd be interested to see what the reactions from the staff were
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
I suspect what she meant was that they are not allowed to condone ANY "advertising" material from "outside".. no matter how much they personally might agree with it!

Sensible policy really... otherwise stuff relating to everyones pet concerns would have to be given equal treatment... and that would be a nightmare I'm sure...
I agree. I would prefer not to have any outside advertising. There is enough in there as it is.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:56 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone ever leave them in the inflight magazenes, safety card or just the seatback pocket?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Ari
Anyone ever leave them in the inflight magazenes, safety card or just the seatback pocket?
I usually leave them in the Hemispheres magazine, as well as in between the paper towels in the RCC..
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Every. Single. Flight.

I put several in the section with the maps and terminal maps.

I try to gauge what the popular article of the month is and place several in there.

I literally litter SkyMall with them.

I put a couple in the safety card.

There is sometimes a credit card application, that gets at least 2.

I also leave several loose in the seat back pocket.

If it's earlier in the month I leave several. If it's later, I don't leave as many as there is a higher likelihood they'll get chucked.

Since I have access to actual booking data, I intentionally pick flights with several open seats when I can (to be fair, I'd probably do that anyway since I fly standby, but I've gone out of my way to do it now w/ the flyers). Then I expand my NoS flyer exposure to as many empty seatbacks as possible.

At the airport newstand I put some in magazines yet to be purchased.

I leave a few on seats in gate areas.

I leave a few on condiment bars in the coffee shops in the terminal.

I "drop" a few on interterminal trains.

When I encounter a checkin kiosk with old holders that used to have ticket jackets and now sit empty, I leave a stack in there. When there isn't a holder I leave a stack on the counter holding the kiosk.

I purposefully take more bins than I need, and use more of them than necessary. When I cart all of them off to put my shoes on, they get stacked neatly, w/ a NoS flyer inside. Sorry if I unintentionally held any of you up with my unnecessary bin usage.

That about covers it.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by barbell
Every. Single. Flight.

That about covers it.
I think I love you.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trooper

Of course that's what she meant. That was why I didn't get angry with her. As a private enterprise, their position makes sense.

Barbell - those are superb ideas. I have to admit I never thought of HALF of them. I am definitely changing up my tactics if I have to fly again soon.

Right now my only future trip booked is next week (paid with FF miles in August and an important one for me). I remember when I used to access "My Reservations" on aa.com and have a list of 8-10 future reservations. Not any more!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 7, 2011 at 2:26 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
I don't understand. What were you placing? Anti-NOS????
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Cityhawk
I don't understand. What were you placing? Anti-NOS????
Print-outs critical of the use of the expensive, obsolete junk strip search machines by the TSA.

NOS = nude-o-scope = strip-search machines that use primarily one of two types of radiation to check out passengers' naked bodies.

Anti-NOS = anti-nude-o-scope.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Print-outs critical of the use of the expensive, obsolete junk strip search machines by the TSA.

NOS = nude-o-scope = strip-search machines that use primarily one of two types of radiation to check out passengers' naked bodies.

Anti-NOS = anti-nude-o-scope.
Ahhhh. That reminds me, our friends at the TSA wouldn't happen to have had any progress on those liquid testing machines, would they?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cityhawk
Ahhhh. That reminds me, our friends at the TSA wouldn't happen to have had any progress on those liquid testing machines, would they?
Check back in 2090+++++..
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I usually leave them in the Hemispheres magazine, as well as in between the paper towels in the RCC..
I did on my measly 2 flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.