Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

House Dem Leader Calls For Special TSA Treatment for Congress

House Dem Leader Calls For Special TSA Treatment for Congress

Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by aeleva
I don't get how Senators+TSA has anything to do with the horrible tragedy in AZ -- am I missing something obvious here or is there no real connection? The fact that he invoked this tragedy to try to improve his own position is so scummy I don't even have a word for it.
You are missing nothing.

Tieing the 2 together is absolutely reprehensible.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
This is ridiculous -- a legislator-slimeball trying to leverage the tragedy in Arizona to score smoother airport transit for himself.

The next guy will claim the shooting means he shouldn't have to fly commercially anymore and needs a government Gulfstream of his own.

And Congress wonders why everybody hates them.
+1 x ∞
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
The likely reaction of the American mandarin class to this proposed amendment is precisely why the Founding Fathers proposed and ratified the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is the ultimate check and balance on government.
What do you suggest, that the individual states re-establish their own well-organized militias and finance them to wage war against the federal-level mandarin class?

Sub-state-level militias and such militants have a long history of being crushed by the national government. Apparently the Second Amendment of the US Constitution has no history of being the ultimate check and balance on the federal government.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What do you suggest, that the individual states re-establish their own well-organized militias and finance them to wage war against the federal-level mandarin class?

Sub-state-level militias and such militants have a long history of being crushed by the national government. Apparently the Second Amendment of the US Constitution has no history of being the ultimate check and balance on the federal government.
I have faith in the millions of law-abiding citizens who would resist a national government that attempted to impose a totalitarian form of government. I pray that such resistance will never be required of us, but that is the right of the people and the reason for the Second Amendment. The militia is ordinary people, not just state-organized groups.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I would have no idea on the above subject matter (seeing as how I have never seen nor touched the genitals of any of the folks I have mentioned), and if I ever did, I would not discuss it with anyone to begin with.
Yes I would be ashamed too.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have no idea on the above subject matter (seeing as how I have never seen nor touched the genitals of any of the folks I have mentioned), and if I ever did, I would not discuss it with anyone to begin with.
Nor would I, TSA would burn you at the stake for admitting the truth, that screeners do grope gentials.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
I have faith in the millions of law-abiding citizens who would resist a national government that attempted to impose a totalitarian form of government.
I have less faith than ever in an engaged citizenry. I think if martial law were declared tomorrow less than 5% of the population would actively resist. Another 20% would oppose it by writing blog posts and signing online petitions. About 20% would be all for it and turn their neighbors in for reeducation because they drive Saabs, and the rest would miss the whole thing because they're playing Farmville or watching "Dancing With the Stars."
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
A top House Democrat said the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) should change how members of Congress are screened at airports.

“I really believe that that is the place where we feel the most ill at ease, is going through airports,” Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), who serves as assistant minority leader, said on "Fox News Sunday."
Who wants to point out to Rep. Clyburn that by obviously bypassing security, he paints himself as an obvious high-value target to any observer?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Congressman Coble, Congresswoman Foxx and Senator Burr come through our checkpoint just like everyone else does when they fly from Greensboro (quite often I might add). I am uncertain as to how much traction this will get at this point.
Your fellow screeners in SLC treated Rep. Chaffetz "just like everybody else" and he is now about to become your worst nightmare.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
The best comment of the bunch:
“Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”

No, sir. There are no titles of nobility in the United States of America. If you actually defended the Constitution as you have sworn to do, you would know that. You are an ordinary citizen just like everyone else. The only difference is that you represent other citizens in the United States government by their choosing. Therefore, if you believe a law or regulation is unfair for you, then you should consider it unfair for everyone, and you have the responsibility to change it … FOR EVERYONE, not just you and other self-serving elitists.
^^^^
by "THE TRUTH HURTS"
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...age=2#comments
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Rather than resorting to the 2nd Amendment, the proper remedy at this point, should the federal courts and Supreme Court fail to live up to the demands of the EXPLICIT conditions laid down in the bill of rights in the 4th Amendment, is through the states. The states have the right and duty to interpose for the safety and dignity of the residents of the state where the federal branches have departed from the Constitution on grave matters of Constitutional violation, and this one, the casual visual strip searching and touching of sexual organs of passengers traveling, with no probable cause, certainly qualifies as a grave matter and an obvious violation of the 4th.

It won't take many states to make a significant dent in this process. The states have a status, power, and levels of organization that make this route preferable to the 2nd Amendment. A case could be made that the founders saw the 2nd as buttressing these powers of the states in their ability to resist encroachment from the federal.

You do not have to win this fight. You just have to make it expensive for the TSA to continue looking at our spouses and children naked and feeling their sexual organs.

Anyway, I do appreciate gsoltso's candor and willingness to admit that there is a problem in this area. We are lucky that there are some, and perhaps many in the TSA who see that there is a problem here and do not like this at all. Those types of folks have basic decency and that should always be respected.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm sure there are TSA employees who are not happy with the orders they have been given and/or who are unhappy with the way their colleagues and/or higher-ups are (mis-)behaving with passengers. But a lot of that has to do with a discomfort with behaving in a manner that would be considered criminal sex predator activity if done by a random stranger on the streets. Toss in homosexual contact, and it's no surprise that some TSA employees are unhappy about the situation even more than many passengers are unhappy with it.

Originally Posted by BearX220
I have less faith than ever in an engaged citizenry. I think if martial law were declared tomorrow less than 5% of the population would actively resist. Another 20% would oppose it by writing blog posts and signing online petitions. About 20% would be all for it and turn their neighbors in for reeducation because they drive Saabs, and the rest would miss the whole thing because they're playing Farmville or watching "Dancing With the Stars."
Having had some personal exposure to how people behave in the immediate aftermath of declarations of emergency rule in otherwise democratic environments with far higher participation levels, more varied segmentation and diversity of opinion than seems to be the case in the US, I remain of the thought that the above scenario is probably far more generous than would be the actual case in the US. In other words, I expect there to be far less American resistance in any form to the creepy authoritarianism that is a persistent threat to what remains of American liberty.

I will mention in passing how it was the constituent states of the then-young US that are responsible for the federal government supremacy in so many matters, including those of arms and armed violence. Welcome to the results of those constituent states wanting the national government to assume the state-level Revolutionary War debts that were due to their having militias in various states of organization. Guess who pushed for that national debt roll-up of state debts? John Adams, Alexander Hamilton and a bunch of cronies living off British trade. Guess who opposed? The likes of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were strongly opposed. Now we live with the consequences of a bunch of Anglophile sell-outs getting their way some two centuries ago.

Until there is a massive change amongst the the currently passive American masses, the American mandarins and a bunch of their foreign partners/patsies will continue to get their way no matter what critics of DHS/TSA wish. And Clyburn, for example, will remain in office (1) until he chooses otherwise or his health is such that it no longer permits continuing in such position; or (2) unless another group of self-serving American mandarins manage to rig him out office somehow or another. That's been the way it's been for centuries now.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
All Federal employees, including and especially Congressmen, should have to go through the metal detector, the nudoscope, AND get a full and thorough grope, because we DO hold you to a higher standard.
^ ^ ^

From an article in the POST HERE thread back in December...

http://www.lacanadaonline.com/news/o...,7066397.story

Churchill remained in London during the Blitz. He was in a position to move to safer areas. He was in a position to pull rank. He refused. Every night during the bombings Churchill remained in London. As soon as the all clear sounded, he hit the streets in a very public fashion. He visited areas in London bombed out by the German Luftwaffe. He stayed in London in unpleasant and dangerous conditions. Londoners viewed Churchill as one of their own. They were inspired by him because he did not lead from the rear.

The United States Marine Corps also has a long history of leadership. Marine Corps officers are taught to put their enlisted troops first....Ever since 9/11, frequent fliers have put up with the TSA shenanigans because we want to cooperate with our government in the battle against terrorism. Sadly, airline passengers bear witness to TSA's bumbling and inconsistent application of what appear to be nonsensical airport security rules.

(snip)

If Winston Churchill were alive today, and if he thought this TSA stuff was that important, he'd be the first in line, along with his family, to publicly undergo the enhanced pat down and the back-scatter X-ray. He would do it to empower us, to show us that he is one of the people and to keep TSA honest. He would undergo both the back-scatter X-ray and the enhanced pat down each and every time he boarded his taxpayer-funded, private jet.

I call upon President Barack Obama his wife, First Lady Michelle Obama, their daughters, and Vice President Joe Biden and his family, and all our elected officials to follow Winston Churchill's example.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
^ ^ ^

From an article in the POST HERE thread back in December...

http://www.lacanadaonline.com/news/o...,7066397.story
Obama doesn't need Churchill anymore.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...o-Britain.html
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:30 pm

“Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”
Rep. Clyburne, "ants don't serve grasshoppers...it's you who need us." Your attitude is shameful (particularly so today.) If you want any support for the TSA keeping its hands off your private area, get out there and work on keeping its hands off ours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.