Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What wil happen to a US citizen who entered US using a foreign passport with US visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What wil happen to a US citizen who entered US using a foreign passport with US visa?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:49 am
Original Poster

What wil happen to a naturalized US citizen who entered the US using a foreign passport with a US visa? Naturalization occured twenty years ago.... the US tourist B1/B2 visa was issued by the US embassy in her native country a couple of years ago. The US CBP officers at port-of-entry(airports) never asked any questions and just let her in... multiple times....

any information on this issue appreciated!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:52 am

Sorry don't have an answer to the question but I'm curious why someone would do that.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blue_can
Sorry don't have an answer to the question but I'm curious why someone would do that.
I can only reveal two words: politician, election...
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:57 am

That's bizarre.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
That's bizarre.
exactly....
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Kind of weird. If you are a US citizen, aren't you required to enter the US with your US passport?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Kind of weird. If you are a US citizen, aren't you required to enter the US with your US passport?

Yes you are. I can't imagine why this person would lie to the consular officer to obtain a visa if already a citizen. Very bizarre and I imagine very illegal.

Where's Firebug?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Sandra_D
any information on this issue appreciated!
Your answer is here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

"Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United State"
It's rather imprecise, but it seems like the answer is "trouble".
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Asking for trouble - unnecessary

Not sure of what the goals are for, we live in the dark Homeland Security shadows these days filled with terrorism-phobia, and I believe you are just asking for unwarranted trouble, attention & more than just a detailed secondary at the CBP checkpoint upon entry. Plus, you will be photographed and fingerprinted - required of all "foreigners" visiting the US (with exceptions, of course)

My understanding (could be outdated) is that the B1/B2 visa issued (several years ago, as you said) is generally good for 6 months only - as it's designed for short stay only and possibly renewed for another 6 months upon meeting certain conditions. I wonder if the visa stamp issued by US Consulate abroad is still good for entering the US at the airports.

Sound real "fishy" to me - besides, if your passenger info entered into SecureFlight comes up with possible (mis)matches along with other biometrics like your fingerprints & photo (which're taken of you when applying for naturalization) - there is a good chance (never 100% but close enough to it) - you could land yourself on earning a "no fly" list suspected of god-knows-what; being pulled aside for questioning; and, "invited" to a private area for a detailed body search, etc.

This is beyond "civil disobedience" to protest TSA and absurd security measures that we have serious problems with. If you try to do it, better have the name & phone number of an experienced immigrant attorney handy & memorized in your head as you could be in deep, deep water over it.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
It's rather imprecise, but it seems like the answer is "trouble".
Let's see what FB has to say, but my feeling is that, although it's technically illegal it may not be something that anybody cares much about. I have a few friends who are dual Canadian/US citizens and often enter the US on their Candian passport simply because they couldn't find their US passport that morning. They've never gotten into any trouble because of it. The OP's case is a bit more peculiar, of course, because an actual visa was obtained. To me, I think the issue, as was stated, was whether that visa was obtained under false pretenses. In other words, if the dual citizen obtained the visa and actually used it for the purpose it was obtained (including maximum stay length) and then left the country, I suspect this will be ignored. But if they applied for that visa under false pretenses (as shown, for example, by not subsequently leaving), I think that's far more serious.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How did the OP get their visa issued in the first place when a check of their name and other particulars would have discovered they were a US citizen?

Does the OP want to lose their naturalization? The Gov could make a good case that the act of using a foreign passport AND a US visitor visa to enter/leave the US is a form of abandonment - the act of affirming the foreign status on the visa app to a consular official could be construed as saying "I am no longer a US citizen".

Very bizarre, very strange, very risky and I won't comment further without knowing the backstory....which I doubt we'll be treated to.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
How did the OP get their visa issued in the first place when a check of their name and other particulars would have discovered they were a US citizen?

Does the OP want to lose their naturalization? The Gov could make a good case that the act of using a foreign passport AND a US visitor visa to enter/leave the US is a form of abandonment - the act of affirming the foreign status on the visa app to a consular official could be construed as saying "I am no longer a US citizen".

Very bizarre, very strange, very risky and I won't comment further without knowing the backstory....which I doubt we'll be treated to.
OP here... I asked the question, but I'm not the one in this situation. It's a politician who's stuck in this pickle(or perhaps limbo).
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
OP here... I asked the question, but I'm not the one in this situation. It's a politician who's stuck in this pickle(or perhaps limbo).
The serious answer is that I've heard threats that it can be considered a renunciation of U.S. citizenship but I haven't confirmed that. As others have said, it does seem like an odd situation indeed.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 6, 2010 at 1:28 pm Reason: OMNI remarks
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
There are very good reasons for someone who is a US citizen as well as a citizen of another country or countries for traveling to certain countries on a foreign passport, though it is becoming harder to do so unless the name on the foreign passport is accidentally different from one's US legal name.

Most people who need to do this are traveling to countries that they would rather not publicly acknowledge traveling to. This could be because of business, tax or reasons of privacy. So, if someone has a consulting gig with a company in Iran for instance, best practice in this instance is to utilize a foreign passport to travel to Iran from a third country using a name that is not on any US databases. Obtaining a US visa would not work in this case, so I am all ears as to why OP's friend did what she did.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:40 pm

at the risk of going omni, if it's a politician, it sounds like they have the means to be asking an immigration lawyer, not a free internet forum

All seriousness aside, though, I could see a similar scenario:
Say Anne Appelbaum got divorced, but preferred to live in Poland, and flew back here for to visit someone using her Polish passport and a B1/B2 visa for some reason, and as the hypothetical ex-wife of a Polish diplomat she would no longer have access to diplomatic travel documents. (Yes, I know she's a natural born US citizen, but from a passport perspective I don't think that's relevant to the case at hand, except for those couple of lines in the bio section).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.