Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pistole on NBC's Today Show Nov 15

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:07 am

Is it just me, or did the picture of the pax being displayed on the monitor show quite clearly that he was a "dangler?"

It certainly didn't look as innocuous as the pictures used in TSA signage.

Also, while I'm not in favour of the gropage, considering the use of children as soldiers in other parts of the world I think saying that those 12 and under are exempt from pat-downs is "irresponsible" on Pistole's part.

Last edited by FXWizard; Nov 15, 2010 at 9:08 am Reason: typos
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
The Today Show interview just aired here on the west coast. One thing that piqued my interest was that the statement about travelers 12 and under not receiving "that level of patdown" came after a question by Matt Lauer about a hypothetical 9 year old getting patted down in order to fly. "Are we really going to subject that 9 year old to the kind of screening we're seeing on the video?", says Matt.

Combine the fact that this policy was shared after a moderately aggressive question with the fact that this policy is not on their website yet: they are seriously feeling the heat and are therefore choosing to share customer-friendly policies that are not yet 100% ready to go. I don't discount the trouble that will be caused in the immediate near-term when TSA in the field don't follow this new edict (and the traveler has no clear means to remind them of the policy quite yet), but I do like the idea of their scrambling from the increased heat and light on the way they run their organization. ^
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I was still drinking my morning coffee when the interview came on. The video shown did indeed show a clerk reaching "resistance" on the one man in dark pants. It looked like the guy didn't have a belt on and had to hike up his pants. At that time, the clerk hit "resistance." And, it showed a rather forcefully firm rubdown of the grandma on her breast area, down the sides, front, in between and under.
I did get the impression that Lauer wanted to be more aggressive with his questioning. He asked Pissy if the new patdowns were meant to encourage people to go through the AITs instead. Pissy deflected with babble. Lauer looked truly upset to me when he asked about kids getting groped - I know he has at least one young kid, so he had reason to be concerned. Pissy made it "clear" (as mud) that kids under 12 won't get the "enhanced" patdown, but will continue to get the "standard" patdown.

Me - I won't be flying again until next June (already paid for a trip to Africa) unless I have no alternative. I'll drive. But, then, I fly out of SLC - land of sheeple. I probably wouldn't have much of a wait when I opt-out...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:14 am

Just saw the interview with John Pistole here i LA.

What a weird guy. he looked like he didnt like to be questioned at all.

If he thinks all this is so good and appropiate. Why doesnt he have him and his family (including kids and parents) groped and scanned.
All in public to show how he feels about it.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanja
....he looked like he didnt like to be questioned at all.
The TSA is an arrogant organization, and they are not used to this kind of resistance from the general public.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by LessO2
The TSA is an arrogant organization, and they are not used to this kind of resistance from the general public.
And Pistole came from the FBI which is even more arrogant.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
Matt Lauer asked some decent questions but didn't press him. Pistole sounded like Rudi Guiliani with 9/11 - Christmas Day bomber terrets. Lauer did mention National Opt Out Day. Again, Pistole responded that it would be irresponsible for people to opt out that day and delay fellow passengers.
Oh, so we should be responsible, and let some clerk run his hands over everybody's body, and allow perv clerks view naked men, women, and children?

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
The video accompanying the interview made it pretty clear that the procedure is, as usual for TSA, hardly consistent. It's also clear that the terms "grope" and/or "fondle" are applicable.

Link for those who missed it.

~~ Irish
Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
People will kids should get that clip from Pistole on their phones, to play to the TSOs that have not yet gotten the memo on the policy.
They'd probably pull the trick about it being out of date..

Originally Posted by tev9999
He was also on CNN American Morning after the Fox bit. John Roberts did press him on the claims that NoS would not have detected the underwear bomber. He basically said "it would have (trust us)" and went on about how they had to make everyone on the plane feel that every other passenger had been screened properly and there were no box cutters or bombs on board. He also hinted there might be some compromise coming with pilots.
What's the problem with a box cutter Is somebody going to try and cut through with flight deck door with a box cutter? I bet they won't get very far... idiot.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Of course. The networks don't do real news any more. They just spout the government party line.

That and the Pilots - intended to divide and conquer the public.
+1 Sad, but way too true.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I, too, was disappointed with the "storming the cockpit with boxcutters" example, especially. Ever since they've battoned down the hatches, so to speak, it seems unlikely that this would work.

I've also always wanted to ask if they've ever had to undergo the invasive patdowns, or if they would allow their teenager to be subjected to it.
I still don't understand why he is spouting info about the box cutters. They were not prohibited when 9/11 occurred, so he should not be saying that. what a jerk
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
But, then, I fly out of SLC - land of sheeple.
Slidergirl - as you in west Salt Lake?! I really may PM you about this - if you are, the Congressman out there, Jason Chaffetz, is one of the best anti-WBIers there are. He introduced legislation last year that passed the House by an overwhelming margin - go here for more info.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tions-act.html

It'd be great if a constituent (you?) could call his office and talk to his legislative aide for transportation.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:55 am
Suspended

Link to Contact Us for 60 Minutes

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The next step will be if the evening news shows cover this. The ultimate would be a 60 Minutes grilling next Sunday, if they have the guts to do a story and if he is stupid enough to be interviewed.
Here's a link to contact 60 Minutes. Ask them to have Pissy and Nappy on Sunday morning for a good thorough discussion of screening procedures and National Opt Out Day.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/feedba....shtml?tag=ftr

News category: 60 Minutes
Comment: Suggestion
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Me - I won't be flying again until next June (already paid for a trip to Africa) unless I have no alternative. I'll drive. But, then, I fly out of SLC - land of sheeple. I probably wouldn't have much of a wait when I opt-out...
I wouldn't go that far. Jason Chaffetz is a Congressman out of UT and flies regularly out of SLC. He's been the main champion against TSA in Congress. Not bad for being elected by a bunch of sheeple.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Slidergirl - as you in west Salt Lake?! I really may PM you about this - if you are, the Congressman out there, Jason Chaffetz, is one of the best anti-WBIers there are. He introduced legislation last year that passed the House by an overwhelming margin - go here for more info.

It'd be great if a constituent (you?) could call his office and talk to his legislative aide for transportation.
Matheson seemed like a reasonable guy when I lived there too. Might want to see how he voted on it and you may be able to get him on board. He's also a Blue Dog Democrat so he might also be open to the idea of reigning in TSA on the premise of excess wasted money.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark

No, Mr. Chaffetz is not my representative. We have 3 reps in UT - Chaffetz, Bishop (both R) and Matheson (D, but votes most of the time with R). Bishop is mine. He seems to be 100% True-Red and is very pro-military and security.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The image of a nun being patted down by TSA now posted on Drudge should make TSA take a step back and reconsider what they are doing.

Wishful thinking I know but that image does more than anything to demonstrate how far out of touch TSA has gone.

Some folks at TSA need to be locked up for their own mental health.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The image of a nun being patted down by TSA now posted on Drudge should make TSA take a step back and reconsider what they are doing.

Wishful thinking I know but that image does more than anything to demonstrate how far out of touch TSA has gone.

Some folks at TSA need to be locked up for their own mental health.
I am under the impression that all religious groups had to remove their head coverings at the checkpoint.

I am not Catholic but what does a Num in her habit do at the security screening.

Is she allowed to remove parts like the Coif, Rosary and her Cross? What does the TSA require a Nun to remove to go through the WBI screening?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fschmidt
I am under the impression that all religious groups had to remove their head coverings at the checkpoint.

I am not Catholic but what does a Num in her habit do at the security screening.

Is she allowed to remove parts like the Coif, Rosary and her Cross? What does the TSA require a Nun to remove to go through the WBI screening?
I'm not Catholic either, but your question brings up another question. If CAIR's statement about self-screening of the neck/head area are to be believed, why is TSA affording Muslim women a courtesy that is likely not to be afforded to nuns?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.