Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How have the new "procedures" affected regular business travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How have the new "procedures" affected regular business travelers?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:42 pm

Welcome Judith.

Can you tell us what happened in the private room? Were you asked to remove any piece of your clothing?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:53 pm

Well, I hate to break it to you people, but the "public" has spoken and told their government that any means that "enhances security" is just dandy. There are many in the industry who have been sounding the alarm regarding invasion of privacy and nuisance procedures, but we were silenced by the drumbeat of the "public" who was willing to sacrifice personal liberty in the name of "security". So please, tell your representatives that virtual strip searches and not allowing liquids and all the other nonsense we are subjected to at the airport have to stop. But don't be surprised when nothing gets better-frightened people have made terrible, unconstitutional policies, and good luck overturning them.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by HighPotter
I am curious what other business travelers are doing, if anything, to let there dissatisfaction be known to the TSA?

HP
I absolutely opt out of every Nude-O-Scope when I am directed toward the machines. I have yet to have the 'new' pat down (feel up) but imagine I will while flying to see family from BDL to CMH for the Thanksgiving holiday and then again in Dec. flying BDL to RDU for work. I have in the past, with the old pat down, announced loudly which part of the body the TSO is touching. Not screaming, just saying out loud, "You're touching my head. You're touching my neck. You're touching my lower back, etc...." Now i will get to add Penis and Testicles to my vocal description of what is happening. I need to fly often for work, maybe 20 to 30 RTs per year. It should start to get interesting now. Not quite civil disobedience, but at least a recorded record every time I get sexually molested by the government.

Cheers,

JB
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
My IAD-LAX-IAD trips (formerly twice a month) have gone to zero since I got an invasive frisk as punishment for "refusing" the strip-search machine in October. I have one more trip to Europe this year (booked in August, non-refundable), and I may have to make one more west coast trip but I am going to do my best to avoid that. And Christmas, IF we travel, will be by car.

It's probably cost the airlines $5K of my company's money already, plus the hotel and rental car. Yes, work is less efficient, but I don't have to be humiliated at the airport.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

2. If I have to, I get in line behind the prettiest young women I can find. While they get scanned I get the WTMD. Got in line with the Denver University Women's Soccer team. I became invisible. They did not even swab my bag.
By the way, I do not consider it a sexual assault. An assault, yes. Just not sexual.
This is a sad state of affairs. It may not be sexual assault to you but the way you describe it is for the women being singled out based on appearances. This sort of thing should be investigated.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:15 am
Suspended

Judithbriles wrote:

Why has Congress approved this outrageous, personally humiliating “search” that screams sexual harassment?
Congress has not approved these searches.

Francine Kerner, the TSA's Chief Counsel, in partial response to EPIC's suit has said:

"TSA is not required to initiate APA (Administrative Procedures Act) rulemaking procedures each time the agency develops and implements improved passenger screening procedures."
IOW, she feels that the TSA needs no approval of any sort to institute any new screening procedure.

Hopefully, her comeuppance is near.

Last edited by doober; Nov 16, 2010 at 6:43 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MajorJim
Aside from the pilots and flight attendants, having tried to deal with issues directly with the airlines in the past, I fear they are of the same thinking ability as the TSA. They need to step forward - NOW.

What will happen? Frequent travelers will become less frequent travelers. Suddenly, a pleasure trip or a vacation will not be a way to lower your blood pressure. People will start to look at the alternatives. And use them.

Video conferencing will become used more often. If the destination is a day's drive, people will opt for the car add it up - 2 hours before your flight, two to 3 hour flight, getting through the airport, grabbing a car...what's another couple hours?

Unfortunately, this will not bode well for the airlines, hotel business, rental car business and it will impact the oil business. Unlike after 9/11, that business will not return. Companies that pay for travel won't mind if they see their travel expenses significantly cut.
When you say " Frequent travelers"......do you mean business travelers? Because to be honest, I don't say any way around this. I appreciate and respect every ones response and hope this invasion ends soon, I still have to travel.

Or look for another job.
And that is not going to happen.

HP
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
Does anyone know if the new TSA mandates has created an increase in business for fractional companies (NetJets,Flight Options,etc). One would think this would be the time in which they could drum up some new business with large corporations who regularly send employees to different locations to conduct business..
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by HighPotter
I make my way through the NudieScan when told, have had the "pat down" a few times, both in the past and recently,
Since you seem to be one of the few people posting who've had that experience, can you summarize the differences you felt/saw between the pre-October 28 and post-October 28 pat-downs? That will greatly help in evaluating claims by TSOs that that pat-downs haven't changed much.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K
I SDPOO as much as possible

This morning I got part way to the airport and realized I hadn't brought my Nexus card - turned around and went back home to get it. For domestic Canadian travel. Go figure. But I did that because YYZ has a Nexus security line - the fastest and most reasonable security I've been through in years (with no NoS).
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by AirShuttle6162
Does anyone know if the new TSA mandates has created an increase in business for fractional companies (NetJets,Flight Options,etc). One would think this would be the time in which they could drum up some new business with large corporations who regularly send employees to different locations to conduct business..
From this NYTimes article.
Demand for chartered private flights is growing. CSI Aviation Services, which provides charter flights, has had an increase of 14 percent in bookings for so-called executive jets in the last 12 months, said Erica Morgan, the marketing coordinator.
That's a big increase in a down economy. OTOH, the article says that TSA wants to increase security on chartered and company owned planes.

Originally Posted by Judithbriles

Told to assume “the position,” two feet are placed on the mat, spread eagle and the TSA agent—same gender—gives you her verbiage drill that she will “feel” and no longer pat … blah, blah, blah. Arms out, palms up. Beginning at my neck, she feels all around my collar and under it … mind you I have no visible jewelry but small earrings and a wrist watch. I am not asked if there is anything that lurks hidden. I always say that I have double knee implants and bolts in my right shoulder as a courtesy to them.

She then proceeds along my arms, running both her hands along them from my armpits to the wrists. She then moves to my back and does a full feel over it … now moving her hands fully across my butt, moving them inside my waist band and then circles to my front side, readying for the frontal assault. Jeeze. Beginning with her hand flat on my chest under my chin, she begins her downward stroke between my breasts, and running her hand under each. I want to swat her away. She says, “If you want, you can have a private screening…” I’m thinking, “Yeah, to feel me up more –hey, hey TSA, how many boobs have your felt today …”

I tell her, “Just get it over with …” Hmmm, the procedure doesn’t move more swiftly. She then moves her hands, both of them, to my waist and belly. Hands move sideways across my belly, lifting my shirt, and feeling inside my waistband. I’m getting pissed … I don’t like strangers in my pants. The legs are next. Beginning at the ankle of each inner leg, she firmly moves the palm side of her hand up, all the way to my crotch, not once, but twice. Now, I’m really pissed … and feel incredibly violated. I want a shower … I want to get home … I don’t want to fly anymore … and I know I have my final roundtrip flight in two weeks for the year, then off the road for a month ….
That's hideous and beautifully written. I suggest you just sent that just that bit to every congressman on the list at the OptOutDay website.

H-ll, send it to the NYTimes as an op-ed or letter to the editor.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 17, 2010 at 12:19 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by doober
[B]
Congress has not approved these searches.
Also, don't forget that members of Congress aren't subject to the same security measures as the general public.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have switched six roundtrips from DL to Amtrak for the remainder of this year. Haven't decided about my 2011 travel.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have switched six roundtrips from DL to Amtrak for the remainder of this year. Haven't decided about my 2011 travel.
It might be a good idea to write and let DL know what you did and why. The lost revenue will show up in their data, but make it easy for them to connect the dots.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by neko
That's a big increase in a down economy.
But not such a large increase in an improving economy, which is what we have, especially since the business jet sector took a very bad beating after the negative PR about having a "private jet". I think the timing is wrong to view it as related to TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.