Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by battensea
Well, the court didn't specifically address searching travelers. So this was just my drawing a connection.
The irony is, as BoggieDog pointed out, we have to wait on these criminal cases (what's legal on an INMATE in a PRISON) and hope innocent travelers can get at least a similar protection!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the court didn't specifically address searching travelers. So this was just my drawing a connection.

But both situations involve the scope of authority of law enforcement officers, gender, and Fourth Amendment rights. (As well as rights to privacy and other Constitutional rights.)
I understand the court did not address travelers.

Your connection did and is inappropriate.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:39 am

What if the TSA rubdown officer is gay?

Then I suspect he enjoys his job much better than most of us.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by motorguy
Good question. Can the TSA shills here assure us that the agency does not hire sex offenders to be screeners?
What does it matter?

If they weren't sex offenders before they were hired, then they became sex offenders after their first passenger genital rubdown, or viewed a child naked in the private AIT-peek-booth.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's a shame that court cases dealing with convicted felons would enter the arena of citizens who are only exercising their right to travel unmolested by government.
Regrettably, a lot of case law seems to come from extreme cases, rather than the mundane everyday civil rights violations. Or as it's put otherwise, "Bad cases make bad laws"
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I understand the court did not address travelers.

Your connection did and is inappropriate.
Thanks for sharing.
But seems I may not be the only FTer who disagrees with you.

New Ruling in the Ninth Circuit on Cross-Gender Searches

Is your "screener" male or female?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I can't think of any TSA employee doing pat downs and getting a "sexual" thrill out of it. Moreover, despite the newsreports, I doubt that most will go too far (in other words touching your junk because they want to or can). And finally how do you know that the screener is gay. Despite red neck stereotypes, most gay men are "masculine" in nature.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for sharing.
But seems I may not be the only FTer who disagrees with you.

New Ruling in the Ninth Circuit on Cross-Gender Searches

Is your "screener" male or female?

My argument is not the gender of the screener. It is the comparison of law abiding citizens going about their business of traveling to actions taken against convicted criminals.

Even in the case of prisoners I personally believe the friskings should be conducted by a person of the same sex. The reality is that federal correctional facilities are staffed by both men and women in every area.

I have little sympathy for felons in prison but I know that they have more rights than you do when going through a TSA Screening.

I don't think any person should get a frisking unless they are suspected of a criminal act and are being taken into custody, or if the person has been convicted of a crime and is incarcerated then certain situations will lead to frisking.

Even in prison (one is about 75 yards from my desk) getting frisked is limited to very specific situations and what TSA is doing to the general public, who want nothing more to exercise their right to travel, would result in Correctional Officers being brought up on charges.

If these frisks that TSA subjects the public to cannot be done to convicted criminals then how can anyone make a case that doing it someone wanting to fly is ok?

Going to an airport in order to spend money with a private corporation does not meet that threshold and should never lead to a frisking unless some very clear reasons are presented to do so.

I truly believe that TSA is out of line in this area and those TSA employees who are conducting these actions should be held legally accountable for violating the civil rights of travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.