Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

DHS Advertising For New TSO's At Gas Pumps In VA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

The slogan: "A Career Where X-Ray Vision And Federal Benefits Come Standard" is more than a bit creepy considering the Nude-O-Scope™ installations.

Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Sounds just like the advertising they were doing on pizza boxes..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...oyee-pool.html

I wonder what kind of weird people apply..
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is it possible for them to be any more disrespectful? Insinuating that X-Ray vision is "cool"? As long as these policies are in place the TSA should adopt the attitude that these practices are unfortunate even if they are required to continue them (for now). Making it sound cool to be spying on innocent people is nauseating.

(By the way, when I use words like "nauseating" and "sickening" in my posts I am not being facetious. I truly do get a physically sick stomach and waves of nausea when I see things like this.)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I would have removed that from the holder and took it with me so i could some "ehancements" then have a few hundred made and put them at gas stations.

Nothing like using the enemys proganda against them.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I'm with you, TX. I don't think I could have swallowed a bite of that pizza.

Yeesh. Sickmaking.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: SM-GM ~ PC-PM ~ HGP-PM ~ SPG-GM
there scrapping the bottom, next thing you know they'll be recruiting from halfway-houses and trustee's from the local jail/prison
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
McDonalds is also advertising in DC on the radio for employees.....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:56 pm

That TSA has to advertise at these places in this economy to find people to work for them is telling.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What's the unemployment rate in Virginia? In my county it's 12% and I doubt they'd have to advertise at all for employees. Lots of folks around here are looking for work.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Cholula
The slogan: "A Career Where X-Ray Vision And Federal Benefits Come Standard" is more than a bit creepy considering the Nude-O-Scope™ installations.

Oh.

My.

Frakking.

GOD.

Any pretense that this was a valid, innocuous application of legitimate security protocol went right out the window. Not that I'm at all SURPRISED, of course.

Just disgusted.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
What's the unemployment rate in Virginia? In my county it's 12% and I doubt they'd have to advertise at all for employees. Lots of folks around here are looking for work.
...as high as 11% in southern rural counties. There are no airports anywhere near these counties, except for perhaps Richmond or Roanoke. A lot of these people would burn 2x their hourly wage in gas commuting. (FYI, a sizeable percentage of the screener workforce at Dulles lives in West Virginia and southern PA.)

The most important question -- where was this sign? If it's anywhere close to Dulles, I would be happy to gas up and autograph the sign at the same time.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
If one could check deep, this is probably a contracted advertising agency, selling add space to the DHS or TSA, that is paid to put up the signs for them whether the jobs are there are not. It generates a list of prospects (suspects) to contact in the event a job opens up. In other words, just someone else with a hand in our pocket.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns
Originally Posted by Cholula
Wow. Just wow. You can't make this stuff up. Kinda like how the company that makes the backscatter machines is called "Rapiscan."
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ugh
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The most important question -- where was this sign? If it's anywhere close to Dulles, I would be happy to gas up and autograph the sign at the same time.
The FT'er who sent me the picture told me it was at a Liberty Station on Route 1 just North of the Beltway in Alexandria, VA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.