Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

POST HERE: Links to articles about WBI/groping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

POST HERE: Links to articles about WBI/groping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:23 pm

hmm wonder what would haoppen to you if you refused to go thruogh the machine at the court house but yet had to be in court for some reason...

like you could stand in the lobby but refuse to be irradiated... it wouldnt be like you were trying to avoid court, but instead you could say you were protecting your health since the govt doesnt give a .... about your health
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
And! It's starting: Outlets are beginning to cover the fact that more people are opting out - of flying altogether. I predict increasing hysteria as opinion makers begin to realize what this cratering of passenger numbers is going to do to the U.S. airline industry.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ving-travelers

Travelers opt for autos over air
As airport hassles mount, AAA expects 94% to drive this Thanksgiving
November 18, 2010
By Jon Hilkevitch, Tribune reporter

Amid growing public uproar over invasive airport security procedures and assorted fees tacked onto the price of airline tickets, this Thanksgiving will see the largest share of automobile drivers versus air travelers of any holiday in the past decade, travel experts said.

Next week, 94 percent of Thanksgiving travelers nationally are expected to drive — up from 86 percent in 2008 and 80 percent in 2000, according surveys conducted by AAA.

The air-travel share is projected at 3.8 percent this Thanksgiving, the lowest figure in a decade. Air travel accounted for 13 percent of Thanksgiving travel in 2000, AAA said.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Drudge is now referring to TSA as T&A.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:37 pm

Did the stress of the TSA checkpoint kill her cat? (warning, post is a CHALLENGE to READ with TOO MANY caps, but a sad story nonetheless) http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/80389-shame-tsa-canada/

Edited to add: story is from 2009 and is very odd indeed after reading all the way through to the end...

Last edited by exbayern; Nov 29, 2010 at 10:42 pm
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Shocker! TSA's nude scans would miss taped-on bombs

A new peer-reviewed scientific study says the backscatter full-body imaging X-ray machines being used by the federal Transportation Security Administration could be fooled by terrorists who simply would mold explosives to conform to their bodies.
Abstract is available in the article, but I do not think that the paper has been published.

Ain't this great.

Spend the money, back up the lines, irradiate me, look at me naked, and they can still be defeated.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Abstract is available in the article, but I do not think that the paper has been published.
In sharing with WND a pre-publication copy of the Kaufman-Carlson paper, Brenner stressed once again that the TSA is depending upon government-sponsored research and manufacturers' specifications to deny or minimize risk, instead of independent scientific research published in peer reviewed journals.

Perhaps this paragraph will help the TSO's on this board why independent peer review is so important.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Saitek
hmm wonder what would haoppen to you if you refused to go thruogh the machine at the court house but yet had to be in court for some reason...

like you could stand in the lobby but refuse to be irradiated... it wouldnt be like you were trying to avoid court, but instead you could say you were protecting your health since the govt doesnt give a .... about your health
No more jury duty.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Here's a long essay written by a former Assistant Chief of Police in Montgomery County, Maryland; she writes extensively about her experiences and analysis of why she's always singled out for additional screening:

http://www.hlswatch.com/2009/10/15/%...arch%E2%80%9D/

I am left to wonder whether my own passive acceptance of these evolving search procedures has contributed to a potentially fatal dichotomy: what we allow TSA screeners to do in order to maximize efficiency and enhance our perception of safety, or what we really need them to do in order to preserve our rights and dignity and enhance our actual safety.

We have asked TSA to find the tools terrorists use and prevent both from boarding a passenger plane. We have unintentionally created an agency that now seeks efficiency and compliance more than any weapon or explosive.

While returning my computer and shoes to their proper places, I watched the screening line at BWI. I thought about the haphazard events surrounding the security screening process. As I watched the screening officers, I wondered what information drives their decisions. Left only to my observations, I concluded that their decisions were entirely random, and likely based upon three criteria: passenger load, staffing, and whim.

I was left to conclude that I am not screened because I look like a terrorist. I am routinely screened because I look like someone who will readily comply. I decided then that my next invitation to enjoy additional screening would be met with more inquiry.
Although her essay is a year old, it still resonates.

As an aside, I am never singled out for additional screening, and I suspect it's because despite being a petite, middle-aged woman, I walk fast, stride purposefully, and make frank, aggressive (yet still polite) eye contact with TSA personnel. Her observations are consistent with mine.

Game on! Here are the first glimmerings of some travel industry revenue implications:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40440009...l-travel_tips/

With the economy slowly rebounding, 2011 was shaping up to be the best year for travel since the recession began. Prices were expected to rise only slightly, and people were making plans to take a long-postponed vacation.

But now that the Transportation Security Administration has introduced full-body scanners at many American airports, and subjected those who opt out of the machines to an "enhanced" pat-down, the 2011 outlook has changed, say travelers.
Even-handed story, reports on other possible causes for flat revenue in the travel industry in 2011.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:55 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
That is very good news indeed. Economic effects, unfortunately, will trump legal and political implications every time (in the U.S., anyway).

Bruce
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
UK Daily Mail: "Fergie gets the TSA treatment at LAX"

The bad publicity for potential foreign tourists to the US continues...

Even celebrities have to go through airport security: Black Eyes [sic] Peas singer Fergie gets the TSA treatment at LAX

Being a celebrity gets you a lot of free stuff and extra privileges - but not when going through airport security.

Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie had to experience the new stricter TSA security rules yesterday at Los Angeles International Airport as she headed to board a flight to New York.

The 35-year-old star had to de-layer and go through the new full body scanners just like everybody else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz16oeqv243
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Two new articles that I have not seen posted elsewhere. The first is a commentary that offers a possible reason that we have not had another terrorist attack. No, it is not the TSA.

Four years ago in these cyber pages, I coined Lott's Law of Diminishing Returns on (Islamic) Terrorism. For some reason, I noticed, a pattern had emerged in Western nations following September 11, 2001. Jihadist terror networks would get one really big bang for their buck, followed by a series of screwups and failures. This was true in the U.S. (9/11), the UK London Metro), Spain (Madrid), and Australia (Bali).

Moreover, I speculated why that was the case. I argued the world political situation had changed so that Islamo-terrorism now sets a six-part process in train:

And then there is this.

Local TSA Agent Speaks Out On Pat-Downs

“I truly feel that it is morally and ethically wrong to do it,” the agent noted. “This does not make flying safer. It’s just taking away American citizens rights.”

And all the horror stories at other airports only make things worse.

“Everybody shudders when they hear that because they know that is not what we’re supposed to be doing,” the agent said.
Be sure to read the comments.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

Ain't this great.

Spend the money, back up the lines, irradiate me, look at me naked, and they can still be defeated.
With effort and time most any security method can be compromised.

I would suggest that TSA's weakest point are the employees.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
http://www.lacanadaonline.com/news/o...,7066397.story

Churchill remained in London during the Blitz. He was in a position to move to safer areas. He was in a position to pull rank. He refused. Every night during the bombings Churchill remained in London. As soon as the all clear sounded, he hit the streets in a very public fashion. He visited areas in London bombed out by the German Luftwaffe. He stayed in London in unpleasant and dangerous conditions. Londoners viewed Churchill as one of their own. They were inspired by him because he did not lead from the rear.

The United States Marine Corps also has a long history of leadership. Marine Corps officers are taught to put their enlisted troops first....Ever since 9/11, frequent fliers have put up with the TSA shenanigans because we want to cooperate with our government in the battle against terrorism. Sadly, airline passengers bear witness to TSA's bumbling and inconsistent application of what appear to be nonsensical airport security rules.

(snip)

If Winston Churchill were alive today, and if he thought this TSA stuff was that important, he'd be the first in line, along with his family, to publicly undergo the enhanced pat down and the back-scatter X-ray. He would do it to empower us, to show us that he is one of the people and to keep TSA honest. He would undergo both the back-scatter X-ray and the enhanced pat down each and every time he boarded his taxpayer-funded, private jet.

I call upon President Barack Obama his wife, First Lady Michelle Obama, their daughters, and Vice President Joe Biden and his family, and all our elected officials to follow Winston Churchill's example.
I just might send a thank-you email to this reporter...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I don't see this one linked, but here is the article that was reference very briefly by CNN (interestingly this didn't seem to be on repeat mode like everything else there - I don't watch a lot but my mom does): Phantom study suggests airport x-ray body scans could miss bombs

Basically it shows how easily 320g of PETN can get by the scanners. The panty bomber only had 80g. The peer-reviewed article that isn't out yet, plus this one, are pretty damning when it comes to the scanners effectiveness. If the bombers planned ahead enough to sew items into their skivvies, they are obviously on to figuring out ways to conceal their explosives.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:35 pm

What if you lose your job over TSA revelations?

Here's my logic:
What happens when a traveler with health issues goes through TSA screening WITH SOMEONE THEY WORK WITH? They say, "Because I have a family history of cancer, I'm going to opt out." They go through the humiliating pat-down, and now, the colleague has something new to report to the boss. "John opted out at the airport, said something about cancer. Are you sure he's the right person for that assignment coming up? If he has health issues that could impact his performance..." And then John gets passed over for assignments, he's seen as a liability, and ultimately, he's "laid off."

I'm not afraid that a bomber will target my particular plane on Monday - not likely. But that I could lose my job because someone says something at work about what I discussed with the TSA - now that's an immediate threat. That's what worries me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.