FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Nude-o-scope fun at National (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1138252-nude-o-scope-fun-national.html)

mikeef Oct 19, 2010 9:27 am

Nude-o-scope fun at National

Was flying out of National yesterday and got in the line right next to the one with the nude-o-scope. As we got to the front of the line, the lady in the NoS line announced loudly that she was not going to wait in that line and would move to the end of one of the lines with the "normal" security. I told her that she could simply opt out, go through a "special" pat-down and be on her way (Note: to this day, I have yet to understand why people in the regular line don't have to get a pat-down, but people who refuse the NoS and go through the same WTMD that everyone else does do). She had never known that and went off about the fact that the TSA needs to put up signage that the NoS is optional. We agreed.

But the best part of the whole day was that the people in the NoS line started shouting to the people in back of them, "It's voluntary! You can skip the strip search and get a pat-down!" It seemed that nobody in the nude-o-scope line knew that (no wonder we have 95% compliance), but there were a lot of people that chose to opt out. In fact, so many opted out that the TSOs didn't even bother doing the full body massage with the unhappy ending.

Big ^, btw, to the TSO checking ID's at the WTMD, who just sat there silently, looking amused.

Mike

FriendlySkies Oct 19, 2010 10:05 am

Gee, I wondered why the "compliance" rate was so high... :rolleyes:

doober Oct 19, 2010 10:10 am

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 14972685)
Was flying out of National yesterday and got in the line right next to the one with the nude-o-scope. As we got to the front of the line, the lady in the NoS line announced loudly that she was not going to wait in that line and would move to the end of one of the lines with the "normal" security. I told her that she could simply opt out, go through a "special" pat-down and be on her way (Note: to this day, I have yet to understand why people in the regular line don't have to get a pat-down, but people who refuse the NoS and go through the same WTMD that everyone else does do). She had never known that and went off about the fact that the TSA needs to put up signage that the NoS is optional. We agreed.

But the best part of the whole day was that the people in the NoS line started shouting to the people in back of them, "It's voluntary! You can skip the strip search and get a pat-down!" It seemed that nobody in the nude-o-scope line knew that (no wonder we have 95% compliance), but there were a lot of people that chose to opt out. In fact, so many opted out that the TSOs didn't even bother doing the full body massage with the unhappy ending.

Big ^, btw, to the TSO checking ID's at the WTMD, who just sat there silently, looking amused.

Mike

:D

clrankin Oct 19, 2010 10:24 am

OMG! :eek: The "required" signage showing what the NoS does and stating that it's optional was missing? :eek: :eek:

@:-) Surely Bob will be on the case for us quickly, as this is in his backyard, just two Metro stops down from TSA HQ. :rolleyes:

I suppose this demonstrates yet again that TSA can only achieve compliance for its useless, invasive procedures by keeping people uneducated about alternatives. :td:

FriendlySkies Oct 19, 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by clrankin (Post 14973059)
OMG! :eek: The "required" signage showing what the NoS does and stating that it's optional was missing? :eek: :eek:

@:-) Surely Bob will be on the case for us quickly, as this is in his backyard, just two Metro stops down from TSA HQ. :rolleyes:

I suppose this demonstrates yet again that TSA can only achieve compliance for its useless, invasive procedures by keeping people uneducated about alternatives. :td:

Shocking, eh? :D

fwiw, I did read a report that they were using the machines as primary at BWI recently. What happened to the promise that they were not to be used for primary? :rolleyes:

Ari Oct 19, 2010 10:30 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 14973088)
What happened to the promise that they were not to be used for primary? :rolleyes:

It went up in flames along with some guy's underwear last Christmas.

mozgytog Oct 19, 2010 10:44 am

Originally Posted by clrankin (Post 14973059)

Even at airports where the signage is there, it's generally 2 8.5"x11" sheets of paper with font so small that I have, as of yet, been unable to actually see the opt out language on it. At least half of one of those sheets is dedicated to a drawing of how to assume the surrender position.

essxjay Oct 19, 2010 11:01 am

Well done, mikeff! ^^^

raehl311 Oct 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Both times I've been through the line it was specifically explained to me by a TSO that I could opt-out.

They require the groping of those in the imaging line only because one of the purposes of the test is to test the WHOLE process, and part of the whole process is the opt-out.

But, I don't know why they are still testing these things. They must have figured out by now that they are much slower than other screening methods.

mikeef Oct 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by mozgytog (Post 14973198)
Even at airports where the signage is there, it's generally 2 8.5"x11" sheets of paper with font so small that I have, as of yet, been unable to actually see the opt out language on it. At least half of one of those sheets is dedicated to a drawing of how to assume the surrender position.

This was EXACTLY the case at National. A little sheet of paper right before you go through the NoS with type so small that I needed one of those magnifying glasses that the TSOs use to read my driver's license. It did no good at all there. It could have been a McDonald's menu for all I know.

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 14973301)
Well done, mikeff! ^^^

I bring this thread up not to generate praise for myself (okay, maybe a little :)), but rather, to heap praise upon all of the folks behind me who passed along the message to their fellow travelers. And to point out, not that any of us missed the point anyway, that the reason the TSA has so few people opting out is because they may not know they can.

And these machines were definitely primary for the people unfortunate enough to choose that line (randomly).

Mike

doober Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 14973799)
Both times I've been through the line it was specifically explained to me by a TSO that I could opt-out.

They require the groping of those in the imaging line only because one of the purposes of the test is to test the WHOLE process, and part of the whole process is the opt-out.

But, I don't know why they are still testing these things. They must have figured out by now that they are much slower than other screening methods.

They have but will never in a million years admit it because that was one of the TSA's arguments for implementing WBI.

youreadyfreddie Oct 19, 2010 12:43 pm

I opted out at SAN the other day and the TSO guy responded with: "You DON'T want to go through the scanner?" He could have been saying "You DON'T want to ride on the Matterhorn?" or "You DON'T want a million dollars?"

I just laughed at him and said, "No thanks." The woman who did the pat down was very professional, even a bit apologetic in tone, told me exactly what she was going to do, did the pat down quickly, apologized that I would need to wait while the gloves she wore were tested for explosives, and I was on my way in another minute or so.

OPT OUT. I like it as a slogan. Short, sweet, and to the point.

GUWonder Oct 19, 2010 3:00 pm

The strip search machine is voluntary. You can opt-out of the strip search and get a pat-down. Pass the message on to the person in line behind you.

Enough people do this at TSA security checkpoints, and the TSA will -- sooner than later -- end up doing something -- better or worse -- differently.

N965VJ Oct 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 14972685)
It seemed that nobody in the nude-o-scope line knew that (no wonder we have 95% compliance), but there were a lot of people that chose to opt out.

TSA mouthpiece Ann Davis was saying it was 99%, now Nico Melendez is saying 90%. I wonder how far they will have to readjust their figures after the "new procedures" are announced.

goalie Oct 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 14975092)
TSA mouthpiece Ann Davis was saying it was 99%, now Nico Melendez is saying 90%. I wonder how far they will have to readjust their figures after the "new procedures" are announced.

Probably just about as long (or longer? ;)) for them to get this simple thing correct :rolleyes: