FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Entering Canada from US with maiden name in passport and married name in US greencard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1138121-entering-canada-us-maiden-name-passport-married-name-us-greencard.html)

kurasaki123 Oct 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Entering Canada from US with maiden name in passport and married name in US greencard

Hello,

My passport is under my maiden name while my greencard is under my married name. I am traveling in Canada 2 weeks from now due to an emergency with a family I have in there so I do not have time to update my passport.

I'm afraid to get stuck in immigration when going into Canada because my Philippine passport does not match my greencard and the visa stamp that I have on my passport is expired. I am planning to bring my marriage certificate to show proof that I am the same person. Will this suffice Canadian immigration officers?:confused:

Any information will help.

König Oct 19, 2010 1:32 am

You should be fine. GC is mostly what they care about.

mikemey Oct 19, 2010 7:01 am

My suggestion to you would be to bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. That way, you can prove your name change and all should be OK.

We had to do this with my wife when we traveled in Europe this past summer because she had not changed her passport over to her married name. We had no problems.

star_world Oct 19, 2010 7:25 am

Originally Posted by mikemey (Post 14971870)
My suggestion to you would be to bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. That way, you can prove your name change and all should be OK.

+1. This is excellent advice. Small chance that your wife will need to produce it, but having it available if necessary will dramatically shorten the process.

tanja Oct 19, 2010 9:12 am

Originally Posted by kurasaki123 (Post 14970438)
Hello,

My passport is under my maiden name while my greencard is under my married name. I am traveling in Canada 2 weeks from now due to an emergency with a family I have in there so I do not have time to update my passport.

I'm afraid to get stuck in immigration when going into Canada because my Philippine passport does not match my greencard and the visa stamp that I have on my passport is expired. I am planning to bring my marriage certificate to show proof that I am the same person. Will this suffice Canadian immigration officers?:confused:

Any information will help.

I am swedish and a greencard holder.
I was told by immigration in California, that if I would remarry either in Sweden or USA. The only thing I should do, before I could get both passport and greencard to match. Is to have my marriage certificate with me.