$16.7 Billion waste of time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Thumbs down $16.7 Billion waste of time

Flight delays cost passengers $16.7 billion

FAA-funded study factors in time lost, secondary travel arrangements

WASHINGTON — Airline flight delays cost passengers more than inconvenience — $16.7 billion more — according to a study delivered to the Federal Aviation Administration on Monday.

The FAA-funded study looks at the cost to passengers for flight delays in 2007, the latest year for which complete data was available when researchers began working on the study.

Unlike past studies of the impact of flight delays, researchers looked more broadly at the costs associated with flight delays, including passengers' lost time waiting for flights and then scrambling to make other arrangements when flights are canceled.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 19, 2010 at 12:54 am Reason: trimmed for respect for copyrights
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Out of curiosity, how does this relate to Travel Safety/Security? Wouldn't it be better in Newsstand or TravelBuzz?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:13 am

Damn u rain for delaying my flight! Waste of money!!!11!1
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flight delays cost passengers $16.7 billion

There is now a dollar amount to put on the collective rage of U.S. airline passengers over flight delays: $16.7 billion.

That's the annual cost to fliers when planes don't run on time, according to researchers who delivered a report Monday to the Federal Aviation Administration detailing the economic price of domestic flight delays.
Source

So, why in the TS/S forum?

This is a sneak peek into what will happen if the virtual strip-search machines are used for every single passenger. As we all see, there is NO WAY every passenger using the strip search machine is the same as walking through the WTMD, despite what the TSA says.

Yes, there's a Bill stalled in the Senate to prevent this, but we all know the TSA wants to do this.

As capitalism always trumps security, this is probably the best defense against the "full" deployment of the strip-search machines.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: None anymore
I fail to see any correlation there.
Delays cost PAX, not airlines $16.7B that $amount was based on Y minutes delay x Z$ per minute. That is hypathical $ out of your and mine pocket. Yes, airlines did lose a mere $8.?B to those same delays but since it is a smaller $ amount it won't be used to sale clicks or get your attention.

Remember the trump card to any $ loss is:
Remember 9/11
Out of an overabundance of caution
Think of the children
<insert any warm, fuzzy, make the kettles feel safe phrase here>
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Flahusky
I fail to see any correlation there.
Delays cost PAX, not airlines $16.7B that $amount was based on Y minutes delay x Z$ per minute. That is hypathical $ out of your and mine pocket. Yes, airlines did lose a mere $8.?B to those same delays but since it is a smaller $ amount it won't be used to sale clicks or get your attention.

Remember the trump card to any $ loss is:
Remember 9/11
Out of an overabundance of caution
Think of the children
<insert any warm, fuzzy, make the kettles feel safe phrase here>
We promise the radiation won't turn your unborn child into a ........ (can you put that in writing?)

And the new TSA mantra: Groping = Safety

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.