Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by star_world
It most certainly is my place to point out the (well known) rules that are in place. They're not my rules. The reality is that the OP just didn't like them, or for some reason best known to him decided that they didn't apply to him.

Why on earth should we be applauding this
Civil disobedience has a long, proud and honorable history. I recommend Thoreau's essays on the subject.

~~ Irish
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fun321
The OP has my full support. One or two posters in this thread are obviously TSA employed, TSA hired, or TSA invested. Otherwise their blind promotion of the crazy TSA "security" policies is inexplicable. If you accept this kind of nonsense in airports, then there is NOTHING that will stop this from speading to railway stations, bus terminals, schools, malls, and, eventually, homes. (Welcome to 1984.) This needs to be stopped while we still can.
^^ Over the past few years I've had several opportunities to discuss TSA - their policies and very existence - with many people in a face to face, logical and respectful manner. When I have those discussions with people who initially defend TSA, in every case, by the end of our discussion, while I might not have been able to create an anti-TSA convert, I've at least been able to make the other person understand the reality behind TSA, the institutional lies that they consistently propagate, and how the flying public is being provided with no greater increase in real security - in exchange for being subjected to an increased infringement of our individual rights.

TSA could have been a government success story had it been designed and implement correctly. Instead, it remains as the most visible standing failure of our response to the 9/11 attacks.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:47 am
Suspended

star_world, even though asked twice, still has not responded to my question in another thread as to whether or not he had read a link in that thread:

Originally Posted by doober View Post
Quote:
Originally posted by star_world

Back on topic. Has there been any confirmed sightings of these devices in any of the NYC area airports? I've had 8 trips through various LGA terminals in the last 2 weeks and haven't seen one, I haven't been in EWR in about a month but they didn't appear to be installed there then at the two checkpoints I saw (in Terminal C).
And BTW, did you actually read the article? Had you done so, you would not have needed to ask.
So, did you read the article?

And please tell us who appointed you to the Topic Police.
I must be on star_world's ignore list because he still has not responded to my question about whether or not he read the article linked to by the second poster, deldel.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...s-scanner.html
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by eyecue
I dont remember the name of the movie about the fake pilot. Two things come to mind.
1. He SAYS that he is who he is.
2. A uniform is all anyone has to go by and those and the ID that is with it can be fraudulently obtained or stolen. Hence the AIT referral.
There you have it folks, an example of where the TSA and it's employees get their idea of "threats"; Hollywood fantasy tales.

Why on earth should we be applauding this
Because the political boondoggle Nude-O-Scopes do not see under folds of flesh or in body cavities, do not detect explosives, needlessly add to one's total lifetime radiation exposure, and have an ugly byproduct of groping.

Originally Posted by castrobenes
Although I am a TSA employee and fully support the use of the AIT and enhanced security measures, I do applaud Mr. Roberts. He stood up for what he believes in at much personal cost to himself. It takes much courage to risk one's employment over a moral issue. You don't have to share his philosophical beliefs in order to admire his willingness to suffer the consequences for following a path he believes is right.
^
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: British Airways Silver; SAS Silver
Excuse me while I throw up a little bit in my mouth for a moment

To the OP - I doubt you'll find any material support from the majority of posters here. The vast majority of this board is highly supportive of the "Opt-Out" approach, which means receiving a manual pat-down instead of going through a WBI device. In fact, it's one of the basic tenets of the TS&S membership league, as you'll see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-diamond.html

A serious question - you know the rules, you pass through US airports on a regular basis. It's widely known that if you choose not to pass through a WBI device your alternative is a manual pat-down. Why do you believe that you should be exempt from this? You may disagree with the rules, but that doesn't give you the ability to selectively decide which apply and which don't.

I'm ignoring all of your commentary surrounding the issue and focusing on this key principle. The rules shouldn't apply to you because...?
I guess you felt the same way about Rosa Parks, huh?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:59 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by TSORon
Are you of the opinion that pilots are not employee’s of the airlines they work for? If so then just who do you think they work for?
Of course pilots are employees, Ron. But there's a relevant distinction between them and every other type of airline employee that cannot be glossed over. Is it really that difficult to fathom?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:09 am

Excuse me while I throw up a little bit in my mouth for a moment

To the OP - I doubt you'll find any material support from the majority of posters here. The vast majority of this board is highly supportive of the "Opt-Out" approach, which means receiving a manual pat-down instead of going through a WBI device. In fact, it's one of the basic tenets of the TS&S membership league, as you'll see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-diamond.html
If I weren't still so attached to having an income, I'd be willing to do what SpatialD did. I wish I had the minerals to be willing to lose my job and deal with everything that entails, and disgusted that I even have to consider it as an option.

I'm ignoring all of your commentary surrounding the issue and focusing on this key principle. The rules shouldn't apply to you because...?
I get the impression from what SpatialD himself has written that he doesn't think virtual strip search and groping should be used for primary screening on anybody, not that he is special.

My point stands - the OP is in the wrong here by deciding that the rules don't apply to him.
The OP is a hero.

Originally Posted by TSORon
Its too late my friend, you and the others have already each taken a huge swing with the "axe of contradiction" at "the boat of credibility". You can bail all you like, but everyone can see the hole.
I don't consider being groped a suitable alternative to being strip searched because I very, very grudgingly endure it under threat of losing my job.

No, what I consider myself is too cowwardly to do what SpatialD did.

So at the end of the day what have you accomplished?
You got your "good job" and applause here and yet you might have managed to destroy a career. At the end of the month no one will remember what you did. No one will be buying your dinner or making any bill payments on your behalf. You have become a paper hero and that is sad.
I understand your point. But was it worth it? That is how the judgement is passed at the end of the day.
No one is exempt from being picked for the AIT machine. Since your career consists of an exploitable avenue from a security standpoint, you should know that.
Thank you for pointing out exactly the kind of attitude that makes people despise the TSA.

Originally Posted by kaerii
I guess you felt the same way about Rosa Parks, huh?
I'm also never going to be forgetting the name Michael Roberts.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 17, 2010 at 6:14 pm Reason: calling out another FTer
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A uniform is all anyone has to go by and those and the ID that is with it can be fraudulently obtained or stolen. Hence the AIT referral.
It's also one of the reasons many people say TSAers should be screened every time they enter the "sterile" area.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
Originally Posted by mozgytog

The OP is a hero.
Though I generally don't love Bill O'Reilly's spin on issues, wouldn't the OP be a "shoe"-in for a Patriot/Pinhead piece?

My vote - "Patriot"
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by boxedlunch
Though I generally don't love Bill O'Reilly's spin on issues, wouldn't the OP be a "shoe"-in for a Patriot/Pinhead piece?

My vote - "Patriot"
I think Patriot is an apt term for Michael Roberts.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
My oh my I leave the country for a week and look what happens!!??!!

I have some information for our "dear TSA" people on here that like to think they are saving the world against the terrorism that is inflicted upon US citizens.

I was just in Paris......FRANCE not Texas this week for vacation and I flew through CDG.

Would you like to guess just how "extensive & tight" the security is over there? GO AHEAD.........GUESS...........

Let me just say that customs control entering and leaving France was so relaxed that if I wanted to be a terrorist I know exactly what country to come destroy America from.

They barely looked at my passport as I entered the country and exited. They asked me NOT ONE SINGLE QUESTION about why I was coming to France.

And there weren't any AIT units for us to be pushed through either.

Yet upon my return to this "fabulous and free" country I got questioned by customs and had to be rescreened upon exiting customs before leaving the airport because god forebid I have 3 oz of liquids in my carryon.

When are you TSA people going to realize that the continued harrasment of US citizens traveling IN THIS COUNTRY is not going to stop terrorism?

If I want to attack this country it is going to be from OUTSIDE our borders. The terrorists know this, the underwear bomber was proof of that. Yet for some frakked up thinking the TSA and our asinine goverment thinks that by causing harrasment to US Citizens within it's own borders is justifable and will stop the potential terrorist.

@:-) Maybe you TSA people should travel abroad and learn about the world outside of our borders. Then maybe you will understand.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 17, 2010 at 6:16 pm Reason: calling out another FTer
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by PTravel
Let's see a show of hands:

All who think star_world doesn't have a grasp of what this discussion is about, raise your hands.
^^
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by trvlr64
My oh my I leave the country for a week and look what happens!!??!!

I have some information for our "dear TSA" people on here that like to think they are saving the world against the terrorism that is inflicted upon US citizens.

I was just in Paris......FRANCE not Texas this week for vacation and I flew through CDG.

Would you like to guess just how "extensive & tight" the security is over there? GO AHEAD.........GUESS...........

Let me just say that customs control entering and leaving France was so relaxed that if I wanted to be a terrorist I know exactly what country to come destroy America from.

They barely looked at my passport as I entered the country and exited. They asked me NOT ONE SINGLE QUESTION about why I was coming to France.

And there weren't any AIT units for us to be pushed through either.

Yet upon my return to this "fabulous and free" country I got questioned by customs and had to be rescreened upon exiting customs before leaving the airport because god forebid I have 3 oz of liquids in my carryon.

When are you TSA people going to realize that the continued harrasment of US citizens traveling IN THIS COUNTRY is not going to stop terrorism?

If I want to attack this country it is going to be from OUTSIDE our borders. The terrorists know this, the underwear bomber was proof of that. Yet for some frakked up thinking the TSA and our asinine goverment thinks that by causing harrasment to US Citizens within it's own borders is justifable and will stop the potential terrorist.

@:-) Maybe you TSA people should travel abroad and learn about the world outside of our borders. Then maybe you will understand.
This is a lovely story. I'm particularly curious why you bundle me in there though - I've traveled extensively in 100+ countries around the world for several decades and think the US system is one of the worst in existence. I have no love for the TSA whatsoever - nor have I ever. You're well able to conduct a search on this board and you'll see how consistent I have been on that point.

However - it's highly amusing that calling out blatant errors or stupidity on the part of a passenger brings the anti-TSA brigade on this board out of the woodwork. This nonsense about the OP being a "patriot" is absolutely farcical, and indeed an absolute dishonour to those who actually are. The OP just made a big error of judgement - hardly worthy of any praise, is it?

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 17, 2010 at 6:22 pm Reason: quoted material; baiting
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
So at the end of the day what have you accomplished?
You got your "good job" and applause here and yet you might have managed to destroy a career. At the end of the month no one will remember what you did. No one will be buying your dinner or making any bill payments on your behalf. You have become a paper hero and that is sad.
I understand your point. But was it worth it? That is how the judgement is passed at the end of the day.
No one is exempt from being picked for the AIT machine. Since your career consists of an exploitable avenue from a security standpoint, you should know that.
More likely that he is just the first of many. At the end of the day, it is your worthless "career" (if you can call it that) that will be destroyed while the majority of us celebrate.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
More likely that he is just the first of many. At the end of the day, it is your worthless "career" (if you can call it that) that will be destroyed while the majority of us celebrate.
You are wishful thinking. He has already made a huge decision that affects his life. You are just spouting opinions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.