Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:22 am

Today is my first travel since the new enhanced pat Downs began. My home airport is TPA, and luck had it that I only had the metal detector outbound this am.

In anticipation of a possible penis-measuring virtual scan or sexual assault, I warned my employer, my customers, and my reps that if these are my only choice, I will do what Michael Roberts did, and will go home. I would love to be part of whatever legal action is taken, as the inability to fly basically ends my career.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by erkme73
Today is my first travel since the new enhanced pat Downs began. My home airport is TPA, and luck had it that I only had the metal detector outbound this am.

In anticipation of a possible penis-measuring virtual scan or sexual assault, I warned my employer, my customers, and my reps that if these are my only choice, I will do what Michael Roberts did, and will go home. I would love to be part of whatever legal action is taken, as the inability to fly basically ends my career.
You might want to contact Michael via his Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/m.roberts.cfi
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by erkme73

^^Welcome to Flyertalk & thank you for your stand.

Originally Posted by tom911
I'd be interested if any airline employees that post here agree with that point of view. If the TSA does ultimately exempt them, would they get in line and not show their ID and go through a pat down to make a point?
Tom:
I'm no expert on this but imo Crew Pass is the way to go for crew members.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 5, 2010 at 10:23 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by baliktad
Exemptions for certain "special classes" from unwanted TSA procedures is NOT the route we want to go. This actually hurts our cause:
Agreed. This just sweeps the problem under the rug. All of the gropes should be in public view.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns
If only there were 1 million Michael Roberts out there!

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Patrick Henry were alive today. Some of his quotations from 1775 would get him put on the No-Fly List for sure:
- "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
- "Give me liberty or give me death!"
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Agreed. This just sweeps the problem under the rug. All of the gropes should be in public view.
If asked, I will refuse a secret search.

Let the whole world see what they are doing.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Nov 2, 2010 at 11:16 am Reason: Softened it a bit. OK, a lot.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Let the whole world see what they are doing.
+1

No way in hell would I let them take me into a closed room where there wouldn't be any witnesses to whatever they were up to.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
No way in hell would I let them take me into a closed room where there wouldn't be any witnesses to whatever they were up to.
You can have an LEO present for the Genital Grope™ while in private, but I don't see that as a viable option.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:04 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tom911
Have the employee unions for any other carrier come out with a similar policy?
I have it on good authority that NWAFA, the group currently representing DL's represented FAs (heretofor known as Legacy NW, PMNW, Red, DL North, etc.) has instructed their members to go through the NoS if selected and not make a fuss.

Pa-thet-ic.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
Exemptions for certain "special classes" from unwanted TSA procedures is NOT the route we want to go. This actually hurts our cause:

1) It gives credence to the notion that the TSA's activity is actually effective and should continue to exist for the unwashed masses
2) It tacitly admits that subjecting passengers to these procedures is OK, even if its a violation of civil liberties
3) It sends the message that convenience for pilots is the only important thing, regardless of what happens to passengers

Special exemptions for crew would actually weaken the case against the TSA at this point, as we would no longer be able to count on incidents like this one to bring media attention to the situation. I'm mildly terrified that the TSA will give in to the ALPA just to make their current media problems go away, while continuing to thrust these civil liberty violations on unsuspecting passengers.

I do NOT support or condone any special exemptions for any class of people going through the checkpoint, including airport vendors/staff and even members of TSA itself.
+1
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: SM-GM ~ PC-PM ~ HGP-PM ~ SPG-GM
Originally Posted by barbell
I have it on good authority that NWAFA, the group currently representing DL's represented FAs (heretofor known as Legacy NW, PMNW, Red, DL North, etc.) has instructed their members to go through the NoS if selected and not make a fuss.

Pa-thet-ic.
i wouldn't doubt this, but the unions should be the main ones fighting this...not the people on the line, but the union bosses and there lobbyist...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by N965VJ
You can have an LEO present for the Genital Grope™ while in private, but I don't see that as a viable option.
Maybe if enough people DID request LEO, they'd get sick of being called for the Theatre and start griping about it.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikemey
Maybe if enough people DID request LEO, they'd get sick of being called for the Theatre and start griping about it.
Can one ask for the LEO for the public search?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by barbell

Pa-thet-ic.
They need to get the union election behind them. Any controversy right now would not work to their advantage.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
They need to get the union election behind them. Any controversy right now would not work to their advantage.
makes sense....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.