Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by saad
i don't live in the US anymore but i completely agree with you guys....
I don't visit the US anymore BECAUSE I completely agree with those guys. And while it wasn't my reason for leaving the US, it makes me glad I did.

I do what I can from outside, in the hopes that someday I can feel comfortable returning.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by saad
i don't live in the US anymore but i completely agree with you guys....
Count me in to, guys. Sad, but true.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:24 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Gotcha! games have no place in this forum but feel free to take it to OMNI or OMNI/PR if you must; otherwise, we're not at all fussed about mass suspensions for all who continue to indulge here.

----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:28 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by SpatialD
I'm using facebook as my central point of communication now, btw. I'll still check in here, but look me up as Michael S. Roberts.
^ Looks like you're live now.

Linkage
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by raehl311
"THEY CAN SEE ME NAKED!" is a silly objection.
You can go right ahead and share your naked body with the government. I will not be sharing mine.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tom911
You can go right ahead and share your naked body with the government. I will not be sharing mine.
^^
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:16 pm
Suspended

I see a diagnosis of Oppositional Defiant Disorder in your future.

(It would be funnier if other governments hadn't pulled the same stunt in the past.)
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by n4zhg
I would prefer to see her on the stand under oath explaining why she Opted Out.
Yes, I'd like to hear her explanation on that as well!

Here is my official facebook page for this. I know some of you have already joined me through my personal profile, which is welcome, but I'll be putting most of the ongoing details about my interactions with the feds, the media, and the company on the official page.

There are several tv and radio interviews, articles, etc. posted there right now, and not a whole lot else yet.

There's a little message board, too. Right now I've just started a thread for anyone who might have any questions for me or suggestions for other threads. I want to keep it focused on my situation - not just a lot of general discussion (no need to reinvent the wheel, and I couldn't compete with FT if I wanted to!)

I've got so many connections in so many different places now it may be difficult to check in here as often, but please keep in touch. (Nearly) everyone on this board has been great - you're an awesome bunch of people and I hope to see you out there in the system in person again someday. Thanks for all the support and encouragement!

-m.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by SpatialD
Yes, I'd like to hear her explanation on that as well!

Here is my official facebook page for this. I know some of you have already joined me through my personal profile, which is welcome, but I'll be putting most of the ongoing details about my interactions with the feds, the media, and the company on the official page.

There are several tv and radio interviews, articles, etc. posted there right now, and not a whole lot else yet.

There's a little message board, too. Right now I've just started a thread for anyone who might have any questions for me or suggestions for other threads. I want to keep it focused on my situation - not just a lot of general discussion (no need to reinvent the wheel, and I couldn't compete with FT if I wanted to!)

I've got so many connections in so many different places now it may be difficult to check in here as often, but please keep in touch. (Nearly) everyone on this board has been great - you're an awesome bunch of people and I hope to see you out there in the system in person again someday. Thanks for all the support and encouragement!

-m.
Thank you, Michael, for having the balls to stand up for what you believe in.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:09 am

APA president advises against new body scanners

Looks like the AA pilots union is recommending pilots go for patdowns in a private area to protect their privacy and dignity. Imagine this could cause quite a backup at AA hubs like DFW or JFK, particularly for the early morning bank of flights. Have the employee unions for any other carrier come out with a similar policy? Hopefully these types of actions will support Mr. Roberts view in the long run, partiularly if their ultimate goal of being exempt from screening is achieved.

Allied Pilots Association president Dave Bates is suggesting that American Airlines pilots go through a pat-down search by Transportation Security Administration personnel rather undergo the repeated radiation from the "advanced imaging technology" body scanners used at many airports.

That doesn't mean he likes the pat-downs, which can include hand-sliding over the groin and buttocks.

"There is absolutely no denying that the enhanced pat-down is a demeaning experience," Bates told members in a message Monday.

"In my view, it is unacceptable to submit to one in public while wearing the uniform of a professional airline pilot. I recommend that all pilots insist that such screening is performed in an out-of-view area to protect their privacy and dignity," he wrote.

He wants TSA to come up with a way to let pilots avoid the same high-intensity searches that the public endures at TSA checkpoints.

"While I'm sure that each of us recognizes that the threats to our lives are real, the practice of airport security screening of airline pilots has spun out of control and does nothing to improve national security," Bates wrote.

"It's long past time that policymakers take the steps necessary to exempt commercial pilots from airport security screening and grant designated pilot access to SIDA utilizing either Crew Pass or biometric identification."
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...s-against.html
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Looks like the AA pilots union is recommending pilots go for patdowns in a private area to protect their privacy and dignity. Imagine this could cause quite a backup at AA hubs like DFW or JFK, particularly for the early morning bank of flights. Have the employee unions for any other carrier come out with a similar policy? Hopefully these types of actions will support Mr. Roberts view in the long run.

Allied Pilots Association president Dave Bates is suggesting that American Airlines pilots go through a pat-down search by Transportation Security Administration personnel rather undergo the repeated radiation from the "advanced imaging technology" body scanners used at many airports.

That doesn't mean he likes the pat-downs, which can include hand-sliding over the groin and buttocks.

"There is absolutely no denying that the enhanced pat-down is a demeaning experience," Bates told members in a message Monday.

"In my view, it is unacceptable to submit to one in public while wearing the uniform of a professional airline pilot. I recommend that all pilots insist that such screening is performed in an out-of-view area to protect their privacy and dignity," he wrote.

He wants TSA to come up with a way to let pilots avoid the same high-intensity searches that the public endures at TSA checkpoints.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...s-against.html
Excellent news! I'd like to see TSA deal with 25 pilots all reporting for duty, and all needing private pat-downs! ^
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:25 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
"It's long past time that policymakers take the steps necessary to exempt commercial pilots from airport security screening and grant designated pilot access to SIDA utilizing either Crew Pass or biometric identification."
Exemptions for certain "special classes" from unwanted TSA procedures is NOT the route we want to go. This actually hurts our cause:

1) It gives credence to the notion that the TSA's activity is actually effective and should continue to exist for the unwashed masses
2) It tacitly admits that subjecting passengers to these procedures is OK, even if its a violation of civil liberties
3) It sends the message that convenience for pilots is the only important thing, regardless of what happens to passengers

Special exemptions for crew would actually weaken the case against the TSA at this point, as we would no longer be able to count on incidents like this one to bring media attention to the situation. I'm mildly terrified that the TSA will give in to the ALPA just to make their current media problems go away, while continuing to thrust these civil liberty violations on unsuspecting passengers.

I do NOT support or condone any special exemptions for any class of people going through the checkpoint, including airport vendors/staff and even members of TSA itself.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
Exemptions for certain "special classes" from unwanted TSA procedures is NOT the route we want to go.
I'd be interested if any airline employees that post here agree with that point of view. If the TSA does ultimately exempt them, would they get in line and not show their ID and go through a pat down to make a point?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by baliktad
Exemptions for certain "special classes" from unwanted TSA procedures is NOT the route we want to go. This actually hurts our cause:

1) It gives credence to the notion that the TSA's activity is actually effective and should continue to exist for the unwashed masses
2) It tacitly admits that subjecting passengers to these procedures is OK, even if its a violation of civil liberties
3) It sends the message that convenience for pilots is the only important thing, regardless of what happens to passengers

Special exemptions for crew would actually weaken the case against the TSA at this point, as we would no longer be able to count on incidents like this one to bring media attention to the situation. I'm mildly terrified that the TSA will give in to the ALPA just to make their current media problems go away, while continuing to thrust these civil liberty violations on unsuspecting passengers.

I do NOT support or condone any special exemptions for any class of people going through the checkpoint, including airport vendors/staff and even members of TSA itself.
+1000

While I understand the argument that the pilot can cause havoc without bringing a weapon or explosives through the checkpoint, there should be uniform, reasonable security measures for everyone who goes airside.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:06 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
there should be uniform, reasonable security measures for everyone who goes airside.
If they are traveling or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.