Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS - "Mandatory body scanner" with SSSS BP?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Ayn R Key
Probably not, if you define it correctly. You see, if everyone gets the full treatment, then there is no need to flag anyone with SSSS anymore.
Someone posted in another thread that TSA screeners told him that regular SSSS was coming back.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Such tickets always generated an SSSS for me, but have not done so in the past few years when the system was supposedly changed.

How far in advance was it purchased?
About a month in advance... apparently the powers that be felt I was very carefully planning some unknown threat to a DL regional jet...
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:15 am

Great. I was a chronic SSSSer before they disappeared, without any explanation every granted. I really hope this isn´t coming back, in particular now, that the TSA has got its hands on gazillions of virtual strip-search machines.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:58 am
Original Poster

The TSA replies to my complaint

It took them less than 48 hours. The reply is pretty much a form letter; however, it does confirm that the opt-out procedure remains in place.

Thank you for your email message. We are sorry you were unhappy with your recent travel experience.

Screenings using AIT are voluntary. Individuals who do not wish to be screened by this technology will be required to undergo alternative screening, including a physical pat-down. Signs are posted in front of each AIT location advising passengers of this right.

Because your complaint is regarding screening at BOS, we have forwarded a copy of your email to the Customer Service Manager at that airport. The Customer Service Manager is responsible for ensuring that the screener workforce adheres to TSA principles for professional processing.

We monitor the number and nature of complaints we receive to track trends and spot areas of concern that may require special attention. This ongoing process will enable us to ensure prompt, corrective action whenever we determine that security-screening policies need modification or specific employees or screener teams are the subjects of repeated complaints.

Again, the TSA offers sincere apologies for the discomfort you experienced while traveling and encourage you to check the latest information at www.tsa.gov.

TSA Contact Center
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Polar Man
And that is when the screener gets face full of knuckles(self defense) and you press charges for sexual assault
I think this kind of big mouth talk is counterproductive. These NoS screenings, gropings, and the TSA in general represent signifcant degradation to our 4th ammendment rights. Hyperbole and this kind of spouting off weaken the legitimate complaints that most of us have about this invasion of privacy. We need to be organized, rational, calm and collected in resistance to this TSA abuse.

Last edited by ludocdoc; Oct 14, 2010 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:57 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
We need to be organized, rational, calm and collected in resistance to this TSA abuse.
+1, ludocdoc.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
Probably not, if you define it correctly. You see, if everyone gets the full treatment, then there is no need to flag anyone with SSSS anymore.
Oh My God, I called this one.

TSA: Enhanced pat-downs coming nationwide Oct. 31?

When it comes to the Transportation Security Administration’s new security measures, it’s hard to know who to believe anymore.Take enhanced pat-downs. A few months ago, I asked the TSA if it was was giving people who refused the full-body scans a more thorough once-over. It denied it.Then it un-denied it, admitting that it had been testing a more aggressive pat-down technique.So when I asked TSA about what reader Andrew Burmeister heard when he was flying last week, I had to read between the lines.
So there is no special SSSS treatment because we're all going to get the treatment?

Can they possibly make flying any worse?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Apparently TSA sees that as their greatest challenge. And so far, it's the only thing at which they've succeeded.

The only way to get 100% security in air travel is to have no air travel at all. @:-)
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:33 pm

So there is no special SSSS treatment because we're all going to get the treatment?

Please don't say things like that; they'll take it as a challenge.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

More from the TSA

From the BOS TSA this time:

Although we were unable to identify any information specific to the October 12, 2010, incident you have described, we wanted to inform you that to date, TSA has used Advanced Imaging technology (AIT) on a purely continuously random screening basis and an alternative to a pat-down inspection. Passengers who have been identified for screening with AIT may opt-out for a pat-down instead, regardless of SSSS or other protocol. We constantly have new procedures to meet new potential threats and on occasion a TSO may forget or become confused.
Guess I'll have to add this to my travel documents for my next trip to BOS, in case I run into more TSOs who "forget or become confused" by the security procedures... wait, aren't the passengers supposed to be the ones who are confused?!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by danang
From the BOS TSA this time:

Guess I'll have to add this to my travel documents for my next trip to BOS, in case I run into more TSOs who "forget or become confused" by the security procedures... wait, aren't the passengers supposed to be the ones who are confused?!

I guess they shouldn't be security screening clerks if they forget or become confused.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Anatomy of a TSA complaint via Congress

After this incident, I forwarded my complaint to my congressman as well. The wheels of government grind slowly, and I've finally heard back nearly two months later. This may be a useful benchmark for those who filed complaints in November after these "enhanced" procedures were rolled out nationwide.

Congressman Frank's office unfortunately says little more than "we forwarded your complaint to the TSA and here's the letter they sent back to us." The letter came from the TSA's office of legislative affairs, and mentions that they have forwarded a copy of my letter to the Federal Security Director at BOS. In addition:

Mr. danang was correct in noting that screenings using AIT (millimeter wave and backscatter systems) are voluntary. Individuals who do not wish to be screened by this technology will be required to undergo alternative screening, including a physical patdown. Signs are posted in front of each AIT location advising passengers of this right. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regrets if this was not the case in Mr. danang's experience.
And then goes on to the usual "it's safe", "we're unpredictable", etc spiel the TSA usually gives.

So, while this whole misadventure didn't result in any huge gains, at least BOS TSA should by now be aware of TSA procedures... and just as TSA replied to e-mail at federal and airport levels, I wonder how the BOS FSD will reply to this more formal complaint via Congress?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:29 am

When is the earliest you can find out if you are SSSS? Will a boarding pass you print at home have the SSSS on it? I do sometimes fly on one way tickets. If I get an SSSS I would have to reschedule the flight since it means I would have to opt out of a genital patdown anyway. Maybe at some point they will disallow one way tickets anyway since obviously anyone with a one way ticket is a terrorist.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gojirasan
When is the earliest you can find out if you are SSSS? Will a boarding pass you print at home have the SSSS on it? I do sometimes fly on one way tickets. If I get an SSSS I would have to reschedule the flight since it means I would have to opt out of a genital patdown anyway. Maybe at some point they will disallow one way tickets anyway since obviously anyone with a one way ticket is a terrorist.
When SSSS was in full force, the first sign was that you were unable to check-in on-line and your airport issued bp had SSSS on it. Now with SSSS apparently making a comeback, there have been reports that it is appearing on your bp when you check-in on-line but not always. Also to keep in mind, the TSO checking your i/d and bp in "their professional experience" can indicate SSSS if they feel like it so choose.

Now you mention that if you win a maSSSSage, you will opt out. Unfortunately, that is something you cannot do-and that is whether or not you have opted out of the nude-o-scope and thus get an enhanced grope patdown or you have been "randomly" SSSSelected and if you so choose, you will not be able to fly but you must still go thru the screening process in order to exit the secure area.

Now you mention that you would cancel your flight if you are SSSSelected and the only sure fire way to do it once you notice SSSS on your bp is to cancel your ticket at the ticket counter before even going to security as once the screening process has started, you must complete the process even if you want to exit the secure area to go back and cancel your ticket.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by danang
Congressman Frank's office unfortunately says little more than "we forwarded your complaint to the TSA and here's the letter they sent back to us." The letter came from the TSA's office of legislative affairs, and mentions that they have forwarded a copy of my letter to the Federal Security Director at BOS. In addition:
Frank's office is good, but they are annoyingly supportive of the TSA.

I'd suggest you try to contact Scott Brown, because even though he is a complete moron, he's probably gonna be a one termer and is therefore more inclined to listen to the public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.