Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

IAD - Agent on a Power Trip - Supervisor doesn't care

Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:23 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood

Last night while flying out of IAD there was a TSA agent who was literally yelling at people for quite a long time (one woman, whose native language is not English was reduced to tears). The agent continued yelling at people telling all of us to TAKE OFF SHOES, REMOVE LAPTOPS, I said TAKE OFF SHOES! He walked around with his arms crossed and looked at everybody as though we had each just done the worst crime imaginable. I asked for a supervisor. When I explained how, imo, there is NO reason for this guy to be screaming and yelling, his response was "I didn't hear him. . ." I then had him stand there for 10 minutes with me as the TSA person continued to yell. I was also filling out a form about this at the same time. The supervisor then told me that they were making a lot of improvements and that making it calmer was one of them. I looked at him and said "well then you need to coach that guy and get him "on the program."

I am just astounded that 9 years later this agency is still as awful as ever. The outright arrogance by some of the people who work there would never be tolerated anywhere else.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA, ran and operated by idiots.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
I just love how there is always a claim as how things are going to change in the future (i.e. make things calmer) but never a reason why they can't fix things right at that second.

Oh, that's right. We are just peons.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Use the same volume, same tone of voice and tell the idiot you'll remove your shoes when you're damn good and ready to.

Don't forget to make eye contact that lets such a scumbag know exactly what you think of him and that there's an open invitation to go out to the parking lot for some customer service retraining.

Follow up with a complaint to 1-866-289-9673. Make sure to name the miscreant, as well as his "supervisor".

Last edited by Spiff; Sep 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ldsant
Last night while flying out of IAD there was a TSA agent who was literally yelling at people for quite a long time (one woman, whose native language is not English was reduced to tears). The agent continued yelling at people telling all of us to TAKE OFF SHOES, REMOVE LAPTOPS, I said TAKE OFF SHOES! He walked around with his arms crossed and looked at everybody as though we had each just done the worst crime imaginable. I asked for a supervisor. When I explained how, imo, there is NO reason for this guy to be screaming and yelling, his response was "I didn't hear him. . ." I then had him stand there for 10 minutes with me as the TSA person continued to yell. I was also filling out a form about this at the same time. The supervisor then told me that they were making a lot of improvements and that making it calmer was one of them. I looked at him and said "well then you need to coach that guy and get him "on the program."
Next time, use your smartphone to record the person, then post it on the web. Remember Bierfeldt?

The TSA doesn't care about what people think unless it damages the image they want you to believe.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
and there are some who wonder why I liken them to Vogons....
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
and there are some who wonder why I liken them to Vogons....
Nah, Vogons can at least write and appreciate poetry...
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i am normally not like this with barkers as i generally roll my eyes and try and ignore them but it if this yutz was truly that loud, i would be barking right back at him

hey, you don't have to shout
I can hear you from 50' away
hey you don't have to shout and be rude
we all can hear you
in fact, people in california can hear you
so with all due respect
shut the hell up as you're giving me a headache

and then i will wait to be "approached" while filling out the complaint form and taking pictures of barker-bob
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Just wait 'til idiots like this get guns under Pissy's LEO program.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Just wait 'til idiots like this get guns under Pissy's LEO program.
not good.. I wonder if they will shoot the ceiling to get our attention..
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:31 pm

I tried to have lunch at a US airport earlier this summer in a sit down restaurant, land side.

I could not concentrate on my book as the entire time the TSA was barking at passengers in the queue for TDC. The noise was so loud that I couldn't keep reading.

The restaurant was one level ABOVE the security area. Absolutely pathetic, and absolutely no need to treat people in that fashion.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:20 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by goalie
i am normally not like this with barkers as i generally roll my eyes and try and ignore them but it if this yutz was truly that loud, i would be barking right back at him

I can hear you from 50' away
hey you don't have to shout and be rude
we all can hear you
in fact, people in california can hear you
so with all due respect
shut the hell up as you're giving me a headache

and then i will wait to be "approached" while filling out the complaint form and taking pictures of barker-bob
LOL! Dang! I am NEVER this quick to think of what I COULD do! My comment to the supervisor was "how can you NOT hear him?"
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
My comment to the supervisor was "how can you NOT hear him?"
Oh, that's easy. Remember that our resident TSOs always complain that passengers don't listen to the recorded announcements at the checkpoint ... and the standard response from FFs here is "I've heard them so much that the sound blends into the background."

I'm sure this TSO has been barking so long that his colleagues no longer hear the noise ... they've grown so used to it that it no longer registers.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: CO/DL
Lets see, being sexually molested by a minmally trained low life smurf who probably has not graduated high school, being strip searched and zapped with radiation by the nude-o-scopes, having your spouse/children get the same thing done to them and before even getting to this point you have to listen to Sargent Smurf bellow out orders to you.

As Spiff said in an earlier post about going out to the parking lot for some customer service training, how long does anyone think it will be before some smurf gets that "training" by way of a right uppercut to the jaw right there at the checkpoint?. A Smurf is not worth going to prison over, its not worth it in my opinion, but someday, somewhere I imagine this is going to happen, I am amazed it has not happened yet.

Yet more reasons why I am glad I dont have to put up with this crap anymore. I do not miss flying or traveling at all since my retirment

Last edited by RoadVeteran; Sep 6, 2010 at 10:37 pm Reason: Spelling correction
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:21 pm
Suspended

I'm guessing they yell so people who are further back in the lineup can get the directions before they get up to the security checkpoint. Plenty of people will still do things wrong even then. You probably wonder why they play announcements throughout the airport as well. That's so everyone can hear them. Did you take any time to complain to those fellow travelers who didn't get things straight? That might have been more helpful.

In terms of the supervisor, the TSA agent was announcing the rules to people, so that they know how to go through security. Should he be whispering this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.