Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I submitted a comment, so I wonder if it will be accepted.
I sent an e-mail to the principal of the high school:

This Higley High School website, http://my.hsj.org/Default.aspx?TabId...n=commentadded was cited on another website today, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post14739965

May I suggest that if your students are going to write articles, they need to do research before doing so.

“Since 9/11 airports have had the security checks updated. They have gotten tighter and more efficient. 9/11 was a shock to the United States and was a wake up call telling people that there are people out there willing to do that.
There was a recent bombing on Christmas day. On flight 253 Northwest Airlines, a man snuck explosives onto the plane. Planning to kill around 200 to 300 passengers the man made a shoe bomb and his attempt to bomb the plane had failed.
The airports updated their new machines and have gotten tighter on them. Now only ticketed passengers are allowed beyond the screener checkpoints. If you have laptops, cell phones, or any other electronic item then be prepared to remove it. Everyone is to have their luggage searched. They have new machines that help them detect explosives. They now have body scanners and they have machines that blow your clothes to try to get rid of any explosives that you may have. This helps for blowing out all explosive powder and or any other explosives that you may be hiding under your shirts.
This new airport security is safe and efficient. It will help travelers and their families not have to suffer the fatal tragedies that come with the bombings.”

1. The Christmas Day “bomber” was not a shoe bomber – he was the underwear bomber.
2. There is no machinery to detect explosives; however, there is a ETD swab which is a chemical test.
3. There are no longer “machines that blow your clothes.” They have been “retired.”
4. The “new airport security” is not safe as it emits ionizing radiation. Ionizing radiation can cause cancer.
5. Neither is it efficient as it creates long lines at security checkpoints.
6. The “new airport security” is nothing more than a virtual strip search, a search that you, as a high school principal, would not be allowed to conduct because it would be found to be in violation of the 4th Amendment to our Constitution.

Thank you for your time.
I received this response:

I appreciate your feedback regarding this article in our student newspaper. I will certainly pass it along to our Newspaper sponsor. Your comments will provide a teachable moment for our students.

Thank you again for this feedback.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
At least he wrote a response and seems to have read your email. My other beef with the original article (aside from the incorrect content and horrible writing) was the use of the word "snuck". It's "sneaked", dammit!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
At least he wrote a response and seems to have read your email. My other beef with the original article (aside from the incorrect content and horrible writing) was the use of the word "snuck". It's "sneaked", dammit!
If just one person pays attention and learns, then my effort is successful, "snuck" and "sneaked" notwithstanding.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The youth of America have been duly indoctrinated.

"Mission accomplished."
I reported a few months ago the American teens who were genuinely disappointed that the WBI was out of action. They were so excited about the chance to go through it that I felt that I was in some BizarroWorld amusement park queue instead of an airport security queue.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exbayern
I reported a few months ago the American teens who were genuinely disappointed that the WBI was out of action. They were so excited about the chance to go through it that I felt that I was in some BizarroWorld amusement park queue instead of an airport security queue.
My best friend's niece felt just this way, until I showed her some of the available imagery. Once I showed her the one where she could clearly see the "franks & beans", she was solidly on the side of never going through one.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:38 pm

T-the-B, DevilDog438: Do you or anyone have images of WBI machines with clear, permissive usage rights (public domain/attribution only)?

T-the-B, UtterCaro: Before specializing the brochures further, does anyone have feedback from people who have received them?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Trip Report

Reading this thread I was prepared to go out & conquer, although crikey, this is a da*n a*s long thread to read & figure out what to do!

GRR - had the Nudos, but not turned on when I went through them. Set off the normal alarm w/ a new 'cuff' silver watch. Got 2ndary, but it was pretty easy cuz we both knew what set it off. After that, on the subsequent 5 airports I took off the 'cuff' to avoid alarm.

AMS - returning to the US, they had them at the gates. Me, being the smart blonde that I am LOL, said, is that the new blah-blah? Agent - yes, but it's not x-ray. Which of course makes it sound as though it's easier & better than normal magno. I'm assuming that's what they've been told.

Me - I'm not going through that, I opt out, no, trying to think of any phrase that would work given I'm in a foreign country even though they speak our language really well. Her (confused), you have to go through this. If you don't, we have to pull your luggage. Me (confused) - off the plane? It's already gone through whatever you do to checked luggage.

Me (trying to decide between standing for my rights & missing my plane - with upgrade!! - or going through the thing) finally blurts out - well, in America we're allowed to say no or go through a secondary pat-down/security if we say no. Is there someone to talk to?

In fairness she could have told me to go pound sand because I wasn't in America, & she'd be within her rights to do so. But she said wait a minute & checks w/ supervisor. Comes back - says follow me & takes me to another Nudo.

She says it's turned off, you can go through, but we'll have to check you & your luggage & points to belt. Finally figure out that luggage means to her carry-on bags which in my case was a tote & laptop case, & to me luggage means what I checked. Secondary was normal secondary. Nothing special.

So in AMS you can go through normal secondary if you choose to opt-out, although you might have to explain/ask.

ORD - Nudo there, but they were using regular machine.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm Reason: bold the airports...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by newhaven
T-the-B, DevilDog438: Do you or anyone have images of WBI machines with clear, permissive usage rights (public domain/attribution only)?

T-the-B, UtterCaro: Before specializing the brochures further, does anyone have feedback from people who have received them?
I don't. I did a search and the images/links that I posted were the only ones that I was comfortable posting. If I can ever get some time to get some shots, I will post them somewhere.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by newhaven
[B]T-the-B, UtterCaro: Before specializing the brochures further, does anyone have feedback from people who have received them?
I haven't been to any airports since these brochures were originated. (I hope you didn't take my suggestions as criticism, newhaven. I was just trying to give a "Kettle" perspective.)

Caro
Old Sep 22, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by exbayern
I'm not surprised at all.

This is the generation that's brought the word "sexting" into the vocabulary. Though I do suspect that they might be more concerned about an old man watching them while sitting in a booth with a sticky floor.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I've created some t-shirts in Cafe Press: http://www.cafepress.com/scanners

Any proceeds will be donated by Cafe Press directly to the ACLU Foundation. I will not receive a penny from this.

I'm open to suggestions for additional designs. I'd like to put SirFlysALot's Top 10 list on one, but for that much text it appears I'll have to prepare & upload it as a graphic design.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I've created some t-shirts in Cafe Press: http://www.cafepress.com/scanners

Any proceeds will be donated by Cafe Press directly to the ACLU Foundation. I will not receive a penny from this.

I'm open to suggestions for additional designs. I'd like to put SirFlysALot's Top 10 list on one, but for that much text it appears I'll have to prepare & upload it as a graphic design.
Good thinking! Perhaps we can add pictures of the scan or of the NoS so travelers know what to opt out of. I've seen some that think the NoS is another type of WTMD..
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Idea for another flyer and/or shirt

Something to the effect of:

Every time you raise your arms to be strip searched by the TSA you are surrendering to terrorism.

Just say NO to strip searches.

~~

Include a picture of a victim standing in a NoS machine with their arms raised.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Nappy's latest DISGUSTING comments on tewwowism to the Senate Subcommittee:

http://docstalk.blogspot.com/2010/09...rorism-in.html

I really want to barf!

There is a comment section - Feel free to chime in!

Last edited by Wimpie; Sep 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:44 am

MSP

The Nude-O-Scope is now operational at MSP's skyway checkpoint. There was a front page article in Thursday's Star Tribune about it, and bravo to the author: it was not a propoganda puff piece. I tried to find it in their online version to post here, to no avail. Sorry, folks.

Since I flew out of MSP yesterday, I made sure to stop by the local copier and run some dontscan.us pamphlets on my way back to the airport. Great job everybody!

I littered the place with them: A few were "left" by the check-in counters, some were "left" on the intra-terminal train, and quite a few were "left" at the check-in kiosks right by the Nude-O-Scope security line, which seems to be frequented by FFs. As I looked back at the line while retrieving my stuff from the x-ray, quite a few people had them, and seemed to be tucking them away for future reading.

And after all that effort, it wasn't in use yesterday, so I didn't get to opt out.

I also made sure that several were placed in commonly checked areas of the plane, such as the terminal maps and food areas of the inflight magazine in a few seats. You know, just in case anyone looks there and will know for future reference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.