Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
...So to let you know, it takes much longer if you refuse the scanner, but well worth it, me thinks. Mrs. EX is an avid Japanese blogger and she went thru he system in order to be able to report about it....
Clogging up the system with opt outs is a good way to express our disgust with unconstitution affront to our dignity & privacy.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Clogging up the system with opt outs is a good way to express our disgust with unconstitution affront to our dignity & privacy.
With respect ... it's only a "good way to express" disgust if someone is listening --- or will listen. I'm not convinced either is true.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
With respect ... it's only a "good way to express" disgust if someone is listening --- or will listen. I'm not convinced either is true.
They heard when women were being groped routinely several years ago. They will hear again.

The important thing is not to let their intimidation tactics work -- either resist by refusing to be scanned (sends message to TSA) or resist by refusing to fly (sends message to airlines).
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
They heard when women were being groped routinely several years ago. They will hear again.

The important thing is not to let their intimidation tactics work -- either resist by refusing to be scanned (sends message to TSA) or resist by refusing to fly (sends message to airlines).

^ I like them both. If you must fly refuse the "strip search machine". Best to just refuse to fly, solves the problem.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
^ I like them both. If you must fly refuse the "strip search machine". Best to just refuse to fly, solves the problem.
This education effort needs a person with a recognized name to act as a spokesperson.

Anyone know or have a friend that could be a national voice?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Consumer Traveler regarding fliers & nudescope.com
The effort is going viral and international with pamphlets showing up in the U.K., Australia, Japan and Italy.
Is our effort being paralleled or is the same flier being printed all over?
I imagine that's a (optimistically premature) reference to a certain Australian-based FTer who offered to distribute a slightly modified flier in Japan and Italy and who suggested a UK version.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:07 am

I can already visualize U.S. blind followers like the U.K., Canada, Korea and Japan to copy the U.S. system. It starts with the fingerprints, then goes on to picture taking and further to the x-ray machines etc. Funny, that North Korea does not sound like such a bad place, or?
I admit here for the first time, that I always thought Europe ( except the U.K.) was acting like a clone, but I was wrong, thankfully wrong.
I love Europe and appreciate their "normal" behavior" as far as entrance and exit is concerned. Never spend more than 5 minutes in-and-out and was treated "normal", meaning nothing special. Please don't change. Too bad my fellow U.S. immigration, customs and TSA people don't understand that. But, heh, I pay taxes in this country, so just go ahead and throw it out the window.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
New T Shirt

Looks like TK has a little competition (from the UK)

http://www.fearandclothing.com/airpo...ner-shirt.html

I like it!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I'm still mulling, the URL ought to convey the sense of objection or resistance. Haven't come up with a good alternative yet, but I'll keep at it.
NoWayTSA is open and it rhymes. I'll keep thinking while I keep on reading the rest of these posts.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Refusing the nudescopes does nothing, just singles you out for retaliatory groping and power trips. Might be the lesser of an evil but the lesser of two evils is still and evil. Anyway, it won't matter if they make them mandatory later on. It was just like the shoe carnival, when it all started, you had the option of keeping them on of they were tennis shoes and taking them off was a suggestion. Then they made it mandatory for all shoes to come off.

A large scale boycott of commercial flying is the only resistance that could remove some of this nonsense. That is my personal contribution to the resistance and I challenge others to do the same.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by G702TT

A large scale boycott of commercial flying is the only resistance that could remove some of this nonsense. That is my personal contribution to the resistance and I challenge others to do the same.
Whenever possible in the future I plan to avoid airports with WBIs in favor of other nearby airports where they have not yet been deployed. I will then follow up with a letter, including a copy of my itinerary, to the respective airport authorities explaining how the presence or absence of WBIs affects my travel plans. If this decision involves a shift from one airline to another I will copy the respective marketing departments as well.

It may not be much, but we should make sure that airport and airline management understand the negative economic impact that TSA has on their livelihoods. That is the only way to get their attention.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G702TT
Refusing the nudescopes does nothing, just singles you out for retaliatory groping and power trips. Might be the lesser of an evil but the lesser of two evils is still and evil. Anyway, it won't matter if they make them mandatory later on. It was just like the shoe carnival, when it all started, you had the option of keeping them on of they were tennis shoes and taking them off was a suggestion. Then they made it mandatory for all shoes to come off.

Just returned from a vacation a couple of weeks ago were we drove instead of flying. Our typical deal is a week in Vegas. So not only did the airlines lose out but so did the hotels and other businesses in Sin City. Ended up driving up through the center of the country, Colorado, Wyoming, North Dakota and such. Not once did I see a TSA uniform and no one questioned why I had a cooler full of beverages.

Have a business trip that I am committed to in a couple of weeks but after that I think I'm done with the airlines for the foreseeable future.

I refuse to be treated like a convict just so I can pay good money to fly on someones commercial aircraft.

I agree, its time for an organized boycott of the airlines.

I say F_ _ _ the TSA!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's different. You were talking about every other person going through a checkpoint being subjected to that (going on the assumption the population evenly balanced male and female).

Here, you're talking about having to go into the line, assume you're going to get picked, then having the sense to opt-out, and THEN not to be one of those "anything for security" people. While it doesn't seem like a lot, it really is a lot of criteria.

I hope the TSA gets a PR beatdown over this just like most others here, but I don't think the numbers are quite there yet.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
I hope the TSA gets a PR beatdown over this just like most others here, but I don't think the numbers are quite there yet.
Let's all do our best & work on those numbers!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:56 am
Suspended

I just mailed off copies of the flyer to my Congresscritters with a note that they are being sent around the world via the internet. Not that much will come of it, but.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.