Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Canadian Girlfriend got seriously hassled before entering US this time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Girlfriend got seriously hassled before entering US this time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Ari
How would GE help for travel between Canada and the US?
GE is express preclearence for US entry only at points with the GE scanner/kiosk. Nexus is supposed to work the same way but it is also preclearence for entry to Canada.

US entry with GE or Nexus is supposed to be the same kiosk.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Ari
How would GE help for travel between Canada and the US?
If there was no NEXUS, then Canada and the U.S. could do what the U.S. and NL have done: recognize each other's programs (GE and Privium) as part of FLUX. Get rid of NEXUS, add CANPASS to FLUX. Simple no?

Originally Posted by Ari
It is a very expensive solution!
Not compared to owning a second home in Florida. Or being forced to sell it because the CBP doesn't understand the terms and conditions of the VWP or a B2 visa.

Originally Posted by tentseller
US entry with GE or Nexus is supposed to be the same kiosk.
I'm pretty sure GE kiosks do not accept NEXUS cards, but a U.S. citizen or LPR with NEXUS can trivially get GE via the online GOES system. Conversely, I'm pretty sure NEXUS kiosks in Canada for pre-clearance to U.S. destinations do not accept GE, i.e. they require a NEXUS card. I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited by mre5765; Aug 2, 2010 at 10:48 am
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Canadians are the only nation I have little sympathy for when it comes to complaints about bad encounters with our CBP folks. Canada's customs/immigration folks are very often just as bad to US Citizens.

My top several worst immigration encounters have been with the Canadian customs "officers". They are, IME, equal opportunity abusers. In their minds, they are, after all, the only line of defense between that lawless country to the South and their own perceived little version of heaven on earth. With pressure like that, it's not surprising their immigration folks can be uncharacteristically rude to citizens of all stripes.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
I have Global Entry and it is a silver bullet, period, even when I get an X on my receipt.[/QUOTE]

Global entry +1^
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I'm really grateful for all the posts, again, thanks. And I guess it's a positive that grilling is likely, so long as it's grilling and then being allowed entry, though she's a very timid and honest person and this is going to make her extremely fretful and fearful.

My primary thoughts so far are that she should happen to have a little proof-of-life-in-Canada kit, in her bag: round trip itinerary, cellphone bill going to canadian address, rental lease, maybe happen to have a bank statement with a couple of canceled checks from clients in there, maybe even have *my* next itinerary for my visit to her in Canada (i.e., why would I have purchased a ticket to see *her* in a couple of weeks if she was trying to stay in the US)? Is that overkill or otherwise foolishness?

I'll will DEFINITELY look into NEXUS, GE, etc, (for both of us!) though I'm not sure what the qualifications are, I'll certainly look at it.

What would be her best answer to the question "why are you applying for NEXUS" as recalled by mre5765? That she almost missed a flight the last time they pulled her aside?

I'm also going to talk to an immigration attorney.

Do you think if we made her ticket for a shorter duration, that would ease her entry? Would be they be less bothered by a few days trip than the 26-day trip? We could always extend the trip once she was here. Air Canada charges $75 for this I believe.

A main concern of mine is that on a future trip I want her to meet me at my parents' in North Carolina, for Christmas. It will probably fall a couple of days around Christmas Day. Is there anything about that trip that might lead to serious trouble?

An n1hawk thank you for inviting me to PM, will do.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by AtariBaby
I'm really grateful for all the posts, again, thanks. And I guess it's a positive that grilling is likely, so long as it's grilling and then being allowed entry, though she's a very timid and honest person and this is going to make her extremely fretful and fearful.

My primary thoughts so far are that she should happen to have a little proof-of-life-in-Canada kit, in her bag: round trip itinerary, cellphone bill going to canadian address, rental lease, maybe happen to have a bank statement with a couple of canceled checks from clients in there, maybe even have *my* next itinerary for my visit to her in Canada (i.e., why would I have purchased a ticket to see *her* in a couple of weeks if she was trying to stay in the US)? Is that overkill or otherwise foolishness?

I'll will DEFINITELY look into NEXUS, GE, etc, (for both of us!) though I'm not sure what the qualifications are, I'll certainly look at it.

What would be her best answer to the question "why are you applying for NEXUS" as recalled by mre5765? That she almost missed a flight the last time they pulled her aside?

I'm also going to talk to an immigration attorney.

Do you think if we made her ticket for a shorter duration, that would ease her entry? Would be they be less bothered by a few days trip than the 26-day trip? We could always extend the trip once she was here. Air Canada charges $75 for this I believe.

A main concern of mine is that on a future trip I want her to meet me at my parents' in North Carolina, for Christmas. It will probably fall a couple of days around Christmas Day. Is there anything about that trip that might lead to serious trouble?

An n1hawk thank you for inviting me to PM, will do.
I believe that you are over thinking this way too much. Your girlfriend is allowed to visit you in the United States. The officers are allowed to ask questions about that visit both on primary and in a secondary area. Your girlfriend should continue to answer the officer’s questions truthfully. That is all the officers are looking for is truthful answers. Part of the officers job is to determine of the traveler is intending to live or work in the United States.

Do the officers show more interest when dealing with a traveler that is visiting a girlfriend or boyfriend? Yes, they do but again it is to determine if the traveler intends on living or working in the US. Your girlfriend can come visit you. Your girlfriend can even come to the United States to marry you. She would have to show to the officer's satisfaction that she will leave the United States after the marriage. It is a good idea if she is visiting frequently that she has things that show continuing ties to Canada. These could include any of the following: copy of a lease or mortgage for where she is living, letter from an employer stating that she is still employed, utility bills, proof of enrollement in school, if traveling by air a return trip ticket may help.

I don't know how many times she has crossed to visit you. However, in general terms, patterns emerge overtime. A future significant other for lack of a better term, will visit a boyfriend or girlfriend for a time period to see if they are compatible. Those visits will be longer in length as time goes on testing the waters so to speak. After several of those types of visits, is when the traveler is most likely to violate the terms of their admission. Officers will recognize this and will ask more questions. This will work in your favor. After this time period, especially if interviewed in a secondary setting, the officers will then see a pattern of visits with no overstays and compliance with admission terms and will not be as concerned.

As for your upcoming Christmas plans, this is a common occurrence and will not be a surprise to the officers. I would continue with your plans as normal and perhaps have one or more of the documents mentioned above with her. If you have any other questions ask and I will try to answer them.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
I agree with Firebug.
My girlfriend (now my wife) used to come from EU few times a year. She never had any trouble entering JFK/EWR.
I am not sure what port of entry you mentioned, but some are tough esp where int'l traffic is light, as one Ft pointed to PHX.
I am glad your gf was honest. I dont believe she will have any more trouble with immigration as they know the main reason of her travel. Also its not like she is from a 3rd world nation, whose residents are trying to enter US by hook or by crook. No need to panic, all will be good.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Firebug4
Your girlfriend can even come to the United States to marry you. She would have to show to the officer's satisfaction that she will leave the United States after the marriage.
What a lovely marriage that would be.

OP, seriously, get legal advice from a licensed immigration attorney.

There are legal ways for you and your gf to be together permanently in the USA immediately after you are married.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The harassment is based on their expectation that someone will be applying for a finance K visa or get married and apply for a green card. They are trained to detect potential applicants for these types of visas and discourage it.

You can either lie about why you're crossing the border (the magic word is always "shopping"), or just put up with it.

As long as you give CBP a chance to suspect you will be applying for a residency visa at some point, they will always be hostile.
Am i understanding this correctly -- there is visa category that is a perfectly legal way to enter the USA, but US agents are trained to be hostile to people who *might* want to apply for one and try to prevent them from doing so???
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by polonius
Am i understanding this correctly -- there is visa category that is a perfectly legal way to enter the USA, but US agents are trained to be hostile to people who *might* want to apply for one and try to prevent them from doing so???
Yes - the visa (a K visa) must be applied for and approved at a consulate/embassy abroad with supporting documentation and an interview (and the application can be denied). Another class of K visa can be applied for through adjustment of status while in the US. Someone who enters as a visitor (B visa) can get married in the US and then apply for permanent residency right away.

What CBP is trained to detect and prevent is admitting someone as a temporary visitor who is likely to try and adjust their status to something more permanent. The red flag that most often gets them going is fiance, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by mre5765

OP, seriously, get legal advice from a licensed immigration attorney.

There are legal ways for you and your gf to be together permanently in the USA immediately after you are married.
The point being that the visits to see a boyfriend or girlfriend are perfectly legal. As would coming to marry the same boyfriend or girlfriend is perfectly legal. The problem arises if the person intends to stay in the United States to live. There are many variations to this theme. Believe it or not when two people are from different countries many times they marry in one and live in the other, matter of fact most of the times this is how it works. My point is it is not the act of see visiting the boyfriend or even marring that is illegal it is coming with the intent to stay.

That being said the process to obtain the proper visas to marry in the United States are not complicated nor difficult to obtain. The biggest problem is the amount of time it takes to obtain them. If you can follow directions to fill out the forms and there are no complications (such as overstaying, working illegally, or criminal convictions) you can complete the process without an Immigration Lawyer. The visa type that is most commonly used and the one that is correct is a K1 visa. This will allow you to live together in the United States immediately after a marriage.

Also, as an aside regardless of what the above poster implies, many people get married in the United States and have no intention of living or working in the United States. The couple moves to the country of citizenship of either the bride or groom after the ceremony. Many times for family or employment reasons.

FB

Originally Posted by polonius
You understand incorrectly. There is a visa category that allows a person to enter the USA to get Married. It is a K1. It is issued from a US Embassy or Consulate outside of the United States. You are not able to obtain one in the United States so CBP officers cannot be hostile or try to prevent them from obtaining one. If a alien presents one to a CBP Officer, the alien and their visa is processed I dare say happily since it is an alien that is completing the process the correct way.

FB

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes - the visa (a K visa) must be applied for and approved at a consulate/embassy abroad with supporting documentation and an interview (and the application can be denied). Another class of K visa can be applied for through adjustment of status while in the US. Someone who enters as a visitor (B visa) can get married in the US and then apply for permanent residency right away.

What CBP is trained to detect and prevent is admitting someone as a temporary visitor who is likely to try and adjust their status to something more permanent. The red flag that most often gets them going is fiance, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc.
This statement is not entirely correct. The K1 visa is for an alien fiancé to come to the US and marry the future spouse. The K2 visa is for the alien fiancé's Dependants such as children. The K3 and K4 visas came into being with the Life Act. They are for couples that generally have gotten married outside of the United States and have been in process for a extended period of time waiting for there I-130 to be completed and approved. This allows the couple to live in the United States while waiting for the I-130 to be approved instead of separating the couple.

This is NOT the same as someone entering the United States on a B visa or the Visa Waiver Program with the intention of getting married then adjusting status. This is exactly what the CBP officer is looking for as this is illegal. Generally, the B visa and Visa Waiver Program are not supposed to be used in this manner as the intent is immigrate to the United States. There are legal avenues to use to immigrate to the United States. A tourist visa or tourist/business program is not one of them.

FB

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

K Nonimmigrant
Green Card for a K Nonimmigrant
The K-visa categories for fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens and their accompanying minor children (K-1 and K-2 visas) were created to speed up the immigration process for such individuals so they could travel more quickly to the United States.

By allowing a fiancé(e) and his/her accompanying minor children to be admitted to the United States as nonimmigrants, fiancé(e)s can be spared a long separation from their intended spouse, while continuing their processing for an immigrant visa after the marriage takes place.

U.S. citizen fiancé(e)s file for their intended spouse on Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e).

Legal Immigration and Family Equity (LIFE) Act

The Legal Immigration and Family Equity (LIFE) Act amendments of 2000 added the K-3 visa category for foreign spouses and K-4 category for stepchildren of U.S. citizens. Due to a backlog of immigrant visa petitions (Forms I-130, Petition for Alien Relative) at that time, a long separation could occur between the overseas fiancé(e) and their intended U.S. citizen spouse. To prevent a long separation, U.S. citizens were allowed to file an additional petition on Form I-129F while their Form I-130 was pending to allow their foreign spouses and his/her minor children to come to the United States as nonimmigrants in an expedited manner.

The LIFE Act requires applicants to apply for a K-3 visa in the country where their marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner occurred, or in the event the petitioner and applicant were married in the United States, the country of the applicant’s current residence. After arrival in the United States, they could then complete their processing for permanent residence.

All K nonimmigrants are required to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence and Adjust Status, after arrival to adjust status as a permanent resident of the United States.

K nonimmigrants may only adjust status as a permanent resident through the same U.S. citizen (fiancé(e), spouse, or stepparent) that petitioned for them to receive their K visa status.

Eligibility Criteria
You may be eligible to receive a green card as a K nonimmigrant fiancé(e), spouse, or his/her minor child if you:

Are the beneficiary of an immigrant visa petition that was filed by a U.S. citizen for their spouse or fiancé(e), or the minor children of that spouse/fiancé(e)
Have been admitted to the United States as a K Nonimmigrant
Met the requirement to marry the U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of entry, if a K-1 visa holder
Are eligible to adjust status as the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen, or the minor child of a K-1 visa holder
Have an immigrant visa immediately available
Are admissible to the United States
Application Process

If you entered the United States as a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen (K-1), child of a fiancée of a U.S. citizen (K-2), or the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen (K-3 or K-4) you will have to file for adjustment of status in order to get your green card and to remain legally in the United States.

To obtain a green card, you need to file Form I-485.

If You are Present in the United States as a K-1 Fiance(e)

You should apply for adjustment as soon as you marry your fiancé(e). By law and regulations, you are required to marry the U.S. citizen who petitioned for you within 90 days of your admission to the United States in K-1 status. If you fail to marry, you will become removable from the United States and cannot adjust through any other means.

If You are Present in the United States as K-2, the Minor Child of a K-1 Fiance(e)

You should seek adjustment of status at the same time as your parent (K-1) since your reason to adjust, in general, depends on your parent's eligibility to adjust. There are some special rules as to how long you can seek adjustment. Please refer to the related sections below under “Other considerations” for additional information.

If You Seek Adjustment as a K-3, Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

You may seek adjustment as soon as you enter the United States. You can only seek adjustment of status based on your marriage to the U.S. citizen spouse who also petitioned for K-3 status for you.

Note: You may obtain an extension of your K-3 status in 2-year intervals, while your adjustment of status application is pending. You should, at the same time, apply for an extension of the K-4 status for your child. Refer to 8 CFR 214.2(k)(8) for additional information.

If You Seek Adjustment as a K-4, Child of the K-3 Spouse of a U.S. citizen

You should seek adjustment of status as soon as your parent seeks adjustment of status. You can only seek adjustment of status on the basis of the marriage of your K-3 parent to his/her U.S. citizen spouse or the stepparent-child relationship this marriage caused and upon which your I-130 is based. See 8 CFR 245.1(c)(6)(ii) for additional information.

Supporting Evidence for the Form I-485

You should submit all of the following evidence and documentation with your application:

Two passport-style photos
Form G-325A, Biographic Information
Copy of your government issued photo identification
Copy of your birth certificate
Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa
Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp
Form I-94, Admission/Departure Record
Evidence of your marriage to the U.S. citizen within 90 days (for K-1s)
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, if applicable
Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
Copy of approved Form I-130 or Form I-797, Notice of Action, if Form I-130 is pending (if K-3 or K-4)
Copies of any other approved application or waiver you have had in relation with your application for K status (Approved Form I-129F, Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Excludability, etc.)
Applicable filing fees
Note: Those applying based on K-1 or K-2 status will not need a Form I-130 filed on their behalf. However, a K-2 stepchild may have a Form I-130, Immediate Relative Petition, filed on his/her behalf if eligible and necessary to prevent age-out concerns. Read “Other Considerations” below for further information.

Medical Examination

If you received a medical examination prior to admission as a K nonimmigrant, then you are not required to have another medical examination at time of adjustment as long as:

Your Form I-485 is filed within 1 year of your overseas medical examination
The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition
If you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver
Even if a new medical examination is not required, you still must show proof that you have complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit Part 1, Information About You, Part 2, the vaccination chart, and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification, of Form I-693 (in an envelop sealed by the civil surgeon). Please see the instructions for Form I-693 for further information.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This is NOT the same as someone entering the United States on a B visa or the Visa Waiver Program with the intention of getting married then adjusting status. This is exactly what the CBP officer is looking for as this is illegal.
... yet there are legals ways for entering the US on a B visa or via the VWP with the intention of getting married and then having immigration status adjusted.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:39 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are plenty of lovely marriages that take place outside the United States if a couple is not planning to live here. @:-)

Of course there are; a K Visa would be the obvious way.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus
I plan to move to the USA and marry my girlfriend who is a resident there. My girlfriend does not know much about immigration laws. She wants me to apply to get temporary status so I can work in the USA for at least 5-6 months before I can purpose to her to make sure I'm settled in. What kinda visa would I need to do the following? Is this something I should ask an immigration lawyer? Or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The point being that the visits to see a boyfriend or girlfriend are perfectly legal.

If they were perfectly legal this thread wouldn't exist.

If you can follow directions to fill out the forms and there are no complications (such as overstaying, working illegally, or criminal convictions) you can complete the process without an Immigration Lawyer.
The problem is that U.S. immigration law is so complex that inadvertent complications can easily occur. The stuff you've posted might seem simple to you, but after reading it, I think I need to make an eye appointment.

Also, as an aside regardless of what the above poster implies, many people get married in the United States and have no intention of living or working in the United States. The couple moves to the country of citizenship of either the bride or groom after the ceremony. Many times for family or employment reasons.
And without benefit of legal counsel, discover, years later, that they were legally obligated to file U.S. income tax returns every year after they left the U.S. Then when they decide to move back to the U.S., the alien spouse finds (s)he cannot immigrate due to a failure to file tax returns.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
... yet there are legal ways for entering the US on a B visa or via the VWP with the intention of getting married and then having immigration status adjusted.
In my experience the above is false. If you enter the U.S. as a non-immigrant yet intend to stay in the U.S. after getting married and apply for immigration, then you have made a false representation to the CBP officer. It is up to the discretion of the CBP as to whether your status will be adjusted.

Since INS (pre-9/11 precursor to the CBP) was fully aware of the situation and granted me LPR status anyway, I'll disclose my situation.

I was in the U.S. as a lawfully admitted non-immigrant for the purpose of studying in university (not an F-1, because Canadians don't get F-1 visas). While studying in school, I met and became engaged to a U.S. citizen. Two months before the date (and before I contacted an attorney to handle my application for a green card), a family emergency required me to go to Canada. After a week, I re-entered the U.S. on my student status with no problem.

A few weeks later, the attorney and I have a phone conversation and she asks me when we were engaged and if I'd left the country since then. Oops.

As she explained it, because I re-entered the U.S. with the intent to marry (in addition with the intent to finish my degree) and use that status to apply for a green card, I had entered to the U.S. as an "intended immigrant" using my non-immigrant status as false cover. She said this would jeopardize my application. We fully disclosed the circumstances in my application.

In the end, the INS officer didn't even mention it during the interview (one week after we were married), and within an hour my passport was stamped with LPR status. I was fully prepared for and expected an alternative outcome, and hoped that they'd let me leave the country that day without a detention (not sure if the INS office in downtown Chicago had a holding cell or not).

I mentioned the "intended immigrant" status issue to a classmate in a similar situation (engaged, left country to attend a funeral, returned to finish degree and get married), and he too had no hassle getting his green card.

Always get an attorney when dealing with law enforcement. The CBP is law enforcement. With a million laws, everyone is a criminal, and CBP is among the least forgiving law enforcement agencies. A lawyer has absorbed the complexity of the laws, and can help you navigate around obstacles you might have deliberately or inadvertently created for yourself.

This is why I say that in a sense, when the CBP hassles an alien visiting a significant other, the CBP is doing the couple a favor. It is an early warning that if one is not extremely careful, the relationship might not be permitted to continue, at least not in the U.S.

Originally Posted by N1Hawk
I plan to move to the USA and marry my girlfriend who is a resident there. My girlfriend does not know much about immigration laws. She wants me to apply to get temporary status so I can work in the USA for at least 5-6 months before I can purpose to her to make sure I'm settled in. What kinda visa would I need to do the following? Is this something I should ask an immigration lawyer?
Well you know what I think. Good luck doing this solo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.