Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA opening luagge- no notice?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't see a "Starters Pistol" as being classified as a firearm.

Legally, though, it qualifies, for the purpose of transport in checked luggage. Buy one, put it in your luggage, declare at check-in that you're travelling with a firearm (check both Federal law and your airline's rules on the matter to ensure you're in compliance), and the whole suitcase can be - *MUST* be - locked, by law, with your key in your sole control being the only method of access. You'll have to open it if they decide to search it, of course, but they have to get you to open it for them - they CAN NOT take the key from you for the purpose of searching, and if they cut the lock open and send the bag on without it being secured with you controlling the sole means of access, THEY'VE committed a Federal firearms-related felony (taking date-stamped pics of your locked luggage at the counter might not be a bad idea, come to think of it). The airline can't legally do anything silly like putting a distinctive tag or mark on your bag to show that there's a firearm in it, either. Recommendation on several firearms-related boards which have addressed this issue is to declare at the counter, note that the luggage is locked and you have the only means to open it in accordance with Federal law, and tell the counter agent to contact TSA and determine if screening will be required, so that it can be done right then while you're available to secure the luggage. Reports on this procedure have been generally favorable, last I saw (which was, admittedly, something like a year ago).

Like any other security method, it's certainly not 100% effective. But it's a fairly easy and perfectly-legal way for you to use a better lock on your luggage than those crummy, useless TSA-approved pieces of ... junk.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:53 am

TSA Says....

This from TSA:

"Inspection Notices: TSA may inspect your checked baggage during the screening process. If your property is physically inspected, TSA will place a notice of baggage inspection inside your bag. This is to inform you that an officer conducted an inspection of your property."

NOTICE the word "WILL", not "might", not "could" or "has an option to do". They WILL leave a notice. You should report all violations to your personal property to the airline and airport authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.