TSA opening luagge- no notice?

Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by QUERY
Please quote the entire statement I posted next time rather than a part like you did.
Waste of bandwidth and poor netiquette, IMO. If one wishes to read the whole quoted post, they may do so by clicking on the appropriate icon. Beyond that, if you feel there is a TOS violation, click on the red and white triangle icon to report it.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I went through INV airport last year. I know it's a small airport, but the checked bag checkers made PA announcements in the departure lounge for pax whose bags they wanted to check. That meant the pax were present whilst the bags were being examined.
I appreciate that's easier in a small airport (and I've never seen it done anywhere else), but it strikes me as being at least transparent as a process.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TSA goes through luggage and sometimes the airline employees go through luggage (to supplement their income). Its equal opportunity stealing opportunities at the airport nowadays.

MisterNice
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At MKE, the Notice of Baggage Inspection has a time/date stamp on it along with the initials of the TSO who searched the bag.

As for bag searches, anyone who locks their bag can and should wait for their bag to clear the EDS. Of course, this is only possible in airports with stand-alone EDS configurations, not airports where there is an in-line system in place.

FYI on SFO, it sucks. Just read about it in the many threads here. Ask most people who fly and they will take OAK over SFO anytime.
What is the penalty, if any, for TSA employees who are inspecting checked baggage if they fail to insert the Notice of Baggage Inspection form?

Would this be standardized at all airports serviced by TSA and TSA contractors or does each airport set rules for that facility?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What is the penalty, if any, for TSA employees who are inspecting checked baggage if they fail to insert the Notice of Baggage Inspection form?
Well, if a TSO can bring a gun to work, get caught, get a minor slap on the wrist, then head back to the same damn job he was doing before bringing the gun to work...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
"Waste of bandwidth and poor netiquette, IMO. If one wishes to read the whole quoted post, they may do so by clicking on the appropriate icon. Beyond that, if you feel there is a TOS violation, click on the red and white triangle icon to report it."
It was just a request and my reason for asking was that certain forum members quote part of what a person states, taking the snippet out of context, and then twist and turn the statement into a fabrication that is usually not true. Not in this case, though.

I'm not going to get an anxiety attack if you don't quote the entire statement.

"What is the penalty, if any, for TSA employees who are inspecting checked baggage if they fail to insert the Notice of Baggage Inspection form?

Would this be standardized at all airports serviced by TSA and TSA contractors or does each airport set rules for that facility?"
Regarding your 1st paragraph, would not know that. First off, someone in authority would have to observe a TSO not do it, then report it, then either review it on CCTV surveillance or recall the bag to check, before any action could be taken. Second, it's very possible that a TSO would forget to insert one as they are not perfect and everyone makes mistakes. Third, if it's a bad TSO, and they are stealing from the bag, I doubt they would insert a NOBI.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, airports are all different in size and configuration, along with their baggage systems. If you are referring to bag searches, and pax being present while the bag is searched, that is only possible in airports with stand-alone EDS configurations. Those would be the CAT 1-4 airports(size larger to smaller). Some CAT 1's, along with all CAT X's(the largest size airport), have inline EDS configurations as they are more efficient and process more bags faster than stand-alone EDS configurations. However, because the inline system is not located in a public area, it is not possible for a pax to be present while the bag is searched. If you are referring to the NOBI, I could not say. I only know that MKE does use the NOBI. I don't want to extrapolate MKE's use of the NOBI to all airports, though, I doubt MKE is unique.

Originally Posted by MisterNice
"The TSA goes through luggage and sometimes the airline employees go through luggage (to supplement their income). Its equal opportunity stealing opportunities at the airport nowadays.

MisterNice"
Perhaps, until one is caught doing it. Then it's all downhill from there, especially if you are convicted. With the economy the way it is, a conviction might make your last job the last one you ever have.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:48 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding your 1st paragraph, would not know that. First off, someone in authority would have to observe a TSO not do it, then report it, then either review it on CCTV surveillance or recall the bag to check, before any action could be taken. Second, it's very possible that a TSO would forget to insert one as they are not perfect and everyone makes mistakes. Third, if it's a bad TSO, and they are stealing from the bag, I doubt they would insert a NOBI.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, airports are all different in size and configuration, along with their baggage systems. If you are referring to bag searches, and pax being present while the bag is searched, that is only possible in airports with stand-alone EDS configurations. Those would be the CAT 1-4 airports(size larger to smaller). Some CAT 1's, along with all CAT X's(the largest size airport), have inline EDS configurations as they are more efficient and process more bags faster than stand-alone EDS configurations. However, because the inline system is not located in a public area, it is not possible for a pax to be present while the bag is searched. If you are referring to the NOBI, I could not say. I only know that MKE does use the NOBI. I don't want to extrapolate MKE's use of the NOBI to all airports, though, I doubt MKE is unique.
Both dealt with failure to insert NOBI in a hand screened bag.

How could a highly trained TSA employee just forget to do their assigned job?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
That's SSI.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The "reward" is that the crooked TSA will point the finger of blame at someone else besides the crooked TSA when theft, loss, damage or delay occurs.

Would this be standardized at all airports serviced by TSA and TSA contractors or does each airport set rules for that facility?
There are airports where the TSA does the baggage screening and yet notices aren't included. Whether it's a failure to follow suggested procedure as part of an attempt to help the crooks in the TSA or elsewhere, or whether it's due to a lack of supplies, or whether it's due to TSA laziness or other failings, it's a toss-up.

Sometimes the TSA asks some passengers for the combination/keys on "TSA locks" because the TSA had supposedly lost the tools to open those locks or their access tools had supposedly been "broken" and thus tossed. I'm betting some of those government-paid for items are being used to enable criminal activity by the TSA and others.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: UA-2P .94 MM, AF-S, AA Beggars Class .6 , DL .18, LH-Bier, HH-Gold, Hertz 5*
TSA Love letters

If you were flying through LAX or ATL, I probably got one of yours.
I am sorry you didn't get yours

My bag was delayed overnight and arrived with FOUR notices in it. (after two flight segments)

Would it make sense to have a tag\notice outside the bag, or scan & track the bag tag so they know if it was inspected or how many times ?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:03 am

"Both dealt with failure to insert NOBI in a hand screened bag.

How could a highly trained TSA employee just forget to do their assigned job?"
Are you that perfect that you never make a mistake? I've made plenty in my lifetime, both on and off the job. Some were comical(to anyone else watching them and to me later on once I cooled down), some were deadly serious. I learned from both types but there are so many one can make in a lifetime that you will never be prepared for all of them.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you that perfect that you never make a mistake? I've made plenty in my lifetime, both on and off the job. Some were comical(to anyone else watching them and to me later on once I cooled down), some were deadly serious. I learned from both types but there are so many one can make in a lifetime that you will never be prepared for all of them.
Not placing the Inspection Notice in a bag covers up possible theft at the hands of TSA screeners.

Is it really that hard to teach TSA employees to place a piece of paper in a screened bag when conducting screening? Apparently from this discussion it seems it is!

Not surprising but points to the underlying problem with TSA.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:26 am

"Not placing the Inspection Notice in a bag covers up possible theft at the hands of TSA screeners.

Is it really that hard to teach TSA employees to place a piece of paper in a screened bag when conducting screening? Apparently from this discussion it seems it is!

Not surprising but points to the underlying problem with TSA."
Regarding your 1st paragraph, it doesn't cover up anything nor does it prove a TSO committed theft. Like I stated previously, it must be witnessed and corroborated with a video surveillance recording or with circumstantial evidence like the stolen items were found in possession of the TSO.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, already covered this. Human beings are not perfect and make mistakes.

Regarding your 3rd paragraph, if it was an underlying problem with TSA then, due to their numbers, we would have hundreds to thousands of incidents per day being reported here on this forum. In this case, it has not been established who opened the luggage. You are speculating that it is the TSA but that is an assumption on your part, not fact.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Regarding your 3rd paragraph, if it was an underlying problem with TSA then, due to their numbers, we would have hundreds to thousands of incidents per day being reported here on this forum.
There don't need to be that many or for then to be reported. The underlying problem is not whether the TSA puts in pieces of paper, but that the TSA opens bags at all. Back when things worked properly, you gave your bag to the airline and it was their responsibility (to a limited extent, and so long as you were responsible and locked it securely) to get it back to you. Now, the TSA opens bags willy-nilly, causing a huge security problem.

I don't think it's a big deal within the USA. (Still evil. Still wrong. Still stupid. But not a big deal in practice.) Some pilfering may occur, but it's very rare.

However, for international travellers, the situation is awful. If you are flying from the USA to, say, India, and the TSA opens your bag, it arrives there as an open invitation to thieves. If items are stolen (and I know people this has happened to), the airline (and insurance, if any) will deny all responsibility because the bag wasn't locked and the TSA will deny all responsibility because they didn't actually do the stealing!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE]
Regarding your 1st paragraph, it doesn't cover up anything nor does it prove a TSO committed theft. Like I stated previously, it must be witnessed and corroborated with a video surveillance recording or with circumstantial evidence like the stolen items were found in possession of the TSO.
Without the notice of inspection TSA has an easy out saying TSA employees are not responsible for a missing item. I agree it does not prove TSA employees are stealing items from baggage but it certainly makes it appear that TSA employees are doing so.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph, already covered this. Human beings are not perfect and make mistakes.
I don't think this answers in any way why TSA employees would have difficulty with such a simple task requiring the employee to place a notice inside of inspected luggage. Is it a matter of incompetence, lack of training or just knowing no penalty will result for not performing the job correctly?

And I ask again, what penalty if any results from a TSA employee failing to place an Inspection Notice is checked baggage?

Regarding your 3rd paragraph, if it was an underlying problem with TSA then, due to their numbers, we would have hundreds to thousands of incidents per day being reported here on this forum. In this case, it has not been established who opened the luggage. You are speculating that it is the TSA but that is an assumption on your part, not fact.
Since TSA took over airport screenings luggage theft has risen. Why do you suppose that is?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.