Search

CBS Evening News slams SPOTniks tonight

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

CBS Evening News slams SPOTniks tonight

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6500349.shtml

Haven't caught a single terrorist. Government report out tomorrow.

Cue Blogdad Bob rebuttal in 3...2...1...

Last edited by n4zhg; May 19, 2010 at 5:19 pm Reason: Added link to CBS
Old May 19, 2010, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Awesome. Yet another example of extreme government waste.

This entire disgusting, un-American agency should be destroyed; however I'd be also happy to see this branch of TSA laid off first.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:32 pm
Suspended

TSA is doing a number of things in the area of behavior detection and I personally think that some of them are shams," said Stephen Fienberg, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University.

In a statement Wednesday, the TSA called the program a "vital layer" of security, "based in science," that has resulted in more than 1,700 arrests for "illegal activities" like drug smuggling.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:35 pm

I propose replacing SPOT with proven technology- tea leaf reading.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
But Doober, isn't the primary mission of TSA to keep weapons, explosives, and incendiaries off of the aircraft? How well do you suppose they do that when they've voluntarily expanded their mission scope? Suspect that the expanded mission requirements (i.e. looking for miscreants) degrades their ability to perform their primary mission.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by CBS News.com
In a statement Wednesday, the TSA called the program a "vital layer" of security, "based in science," that has resulted in more than 1,700 arrests for "illegal activities" like drug smuggling.
Which has nothing to do with the safety of commercial aviation.

This is a screenshot of the BDO training:

$200 million on this? Seriously?
Old May 19, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: DHS/TSA
So... They haven't found any terrorists, but they did find illegal drugs. So by that idea they are successful in their jobs, right?? The "Behavior Detection officers" detected... behaviors... The exact behaviors that they were taught to look for and found something. It's about finding something.
While I'm not trying to defend the BDO's I would like to see them put into more of a checkpoint function than just standing there. They should be checking tickets and id's of the passengers coming through the checkpoint, that way they will have interaction with every person, and then can flag someone for the dreaded SSSS if needed.
Even TSA's own personnel aren't exempt from the BDO's; Myself and a fellow co-worker were pulled aside by a couple of BDO's. We felt we were mistreated by these people and while we did not get any names we sure made a report of it (date, time and location) and did get some resolution from it.(An understanding of why they did what they did)
Old May 19, 2010, 5:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When do we get the video!
Old May 19, 2010, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
But Doober, isn't the primary mission of TSA to keep weapons, explosives, and incendiaries off of the aircraft? How well do you suppose they do that when they've voluntarily expanded their mission scope? Suspect that the expanded mission requirements (i.e. looking for miscreants) degrades their ability to perform their primary mission.
Hey, I am in no way supporting the BDO program. I should have used this smilie:
Old May 19, 2010, 5:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDofcr
It's about finding something.
What?!?
Old May 19, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Even TSA's own personnel aren't exempt from the BDO's; Myself and a fellow co-worker were pulled aside by a couple of BDO's. We felt we were mistreated by these people and while we did not get any names we sure made a report of it (date, time and location) and did get some resolution from it.(An understanding of why they did what they did)
Did you tell them you had a background check and everything?
Old May 19, 2010, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
So... They haven't found any terrorists, but they did find illegal drugs. So by that idea they are successful in their jobs, right?? The "Behavior Detection officers" detected... behaviors... The exact behaviors that they were taught to look for and found something. It's about finding something.
While I'm not trying to defend the BDO's I would like to see them put into more of a checkpoint function than just standing there. They should be checking tickets and id's of the passengers coming through the checkpoint, that way they will have interaction with every person, and then can flag someone for the dreaded SSSS if needed.
So what? The "security" checkpoint at an airport should NOT be a dragnet for law enforcement.

This is exactly why the TSA should be picked up by the belt and collar and thrown through the glass doors at the entrance to the airport, preferrably into oncoming bus traffic.

Last edited by Spiff; May 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm
Old May 19, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by doober
Hey, I am in no way supporting the BDO program. I should have used this smilie:
A pox on the written language. Hard to express emotions and inflection. For sure, neither you nor I support the BDO program. Reading tea leaves and tossed chicken bones is much more reliable.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: DHS/TSA
So if someone has drugs concealed upon their person or in their bag and we happen to find it we are supposed to report it to LEO, If someone went to the extent to conceal drugs the same can be done with explosives and after all we are looking for WEI.

HAHA... we both handed our DHS id's to the TDC and the BDO's made a comment to the effect of "They F*^&%NG work for TSA!!"

No the checkpoint should not be used as a dragnet for law enforcement. However, even if the checkpoint was run by a private company and they found drugs wouldn't they report it? Besides everytime drugs have been found at a CP I've worked at CPD(Chicago Police) came down, looked at the kid and tild him to get the f&^k out of here and took his little bag of pot and pipe and that was it. That is the exact problem we are having in Chicago right now. Citizens are witnessing crimes and are not reporting them and then are asking the police how come they don't do anything to stop it. It is a very fine line. A few weeks ago a co-worker found a 8" religous sword and a 9" dagger inside of a bag on CP, not to mention the owner of the bag worked for AA as a gate agent, but we had to call the police because daggers are illegal(as far as I know that's a Chicago thing). At what point do you want people to turn their heads the other way and pretend they didn't see something?
Old May 19, 2010, 6:02 pm
Suspended

So... They haven't found any terrorists, but they did find illegal drugs.
Illegal drugs are not WEI.

From the linked report:

The GAO uncovered at least 16 individuals later accused of involvement in terrorist plots flew 23 different times through U.S. airports since 2004. Yet none were stopped by TSA behavior detection officers working at those airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.