Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

CATSA offers expedited screening for those with Nexus

Old May 17, 2010, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Press release here.

Ottawa, May 17, 2010 – Canadian air travellers with NEXUS cards can now be expedited through designated airport security screening lines, when travelling on domestic and select international flights (excluding travel to the United States) through three Canadian airports: Ottawa’s Macdonald-Cartier, Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson and Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International.

The new Trusted Traveller/NEXUS trial program is being offered by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) in conjunction with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Transport Canada. The program is beneficial as it allows NEXUS cardholders to be expedited through airport security screening, and will reduce wait times for travellers at other screening lines.

Old May 17, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Press release here.
Nice, but not really useful for me, as most of my flights are transborder. I wish they would just let NEXUS holders go through that Platinum AMEX line.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
If TSA would copy this for domestic US screening (rather than relying on CLEARalikes), I'd actually sign up for NEXUS. (Right now it's not worth the money for my once-a-year trips to Toronto.)
Old May 17, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Critic
If TSA would copy this for domestic US screening (rather than relying on CLEARalikes), I'd actually sign up for NEXUS. (Right now it's not worth the money for my once-a-year trips to Toronto.)
If you do any sort of other international travel, it is totally worth it, because you get GE for free.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:33 pm

I wouldn't mind carrying my NEXUS card for domestic flights in these cities if it's actually worth the "expedited" screening. Waiting with great interest for trip reports from people who use this service - what are people experiencing?
Old May 18, 2010, 12:11 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Press release here.
^
Old May 18, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by N1120A
Nice, but not really useful for me, as most of my flights are transborder. I wish they would just let NEXUS holders go through that Platinum AMEX line.
Your profile indicates that you're *G - you can use the line.
Old May 18, 2010, 3:53 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattm00se
It does appear that way . . .

The designated screening lines for NEXUS members will help us make the best use of available resources and space, while enhancing the passenger experience and maintaining high security standards.”

“It is a delicate process to balance safety and security with making travel easier, whether at the border or in the airport,” said Stephen Rigby, President of the CBSA. “We are pleased that our trusted traveller program can help our partners achieve that balance.”
Language like "the best use of available resources and space" and "a delicate process to balance safety and security" implies that they plan on making some changes to the actual screening of NEXUS members, not just give a pass to the front of the line. That's how I read it, anyway. Maybe less secondaries or a slightly relaxed level of scrutiny.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: AC-SE (MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
I am loving the new Nexus lines at YOW and YYZ. They have significantly cut my wait time on several occasions. Although one evening at YYZ they did let a number of people who were not Nexus holders use the Nexus line and that slowed things down.
I am sure the Nexus lines save the Concierges some time as well as Nexus holders running late should no longer have to use the Concierges to expedite security.
Old May 18, 2010, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Ari
Language like "the best use of available resources and space" and "a delicate process to balance safety and security" implies that they plan on making some changes to the actual screening of NEXUS members, not just give a pass to the front of the line. That's how I read it, anyway. Maybe less secondaries or a slightly relaxed level of scrutiny.
Perhaps TSA can adopt this practice for GE/NEXUS members at US checkpoints. We've probably had more of a background check than most of the TSOs get, so maybe we could leave our kippie bag in our rollerboard or leave our shoes on....
Old May 18, 2010, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by quank
I wouldn't mind carrying my NEXUS card for domestic flights in these cities if it's actually worth the "expedited" screening. Waiting with great interest for trip reports from people who use this service - what are people experiencing?
I work at one of those airports and I can tell you that if you come at a peak time, having the card can save you a lot of time. If you come and a time when there are no other passengers, it really doesn't matter.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by mattm00se
Perhaps I am thinking about different lines, but I have been rejected at the expedited security line at YYZ (transborder), told that AC Elites can use it but not other *G. Are we talking about the same thing?
Old May 18, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
^ That's very good news. One quibble is that considering NEXUS was originally designed for transborder efficiency, why not allow for expedited screening for travel to the US?
Old May 18, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Perhaps TSA can adopt this practice for GE/NEXUS members at US checkpoints. We've probably had more of a background check than most of the TSOs get, so maybe we could leave our kippie bag in our rollerboard or leave our shoes on....
If the Kippie Bags and shoes aren't a risk for GE people, they're not a risk for everyone else either. @:-)
Old May 18, 2010, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure I get the benefit - especially as the process doesn't apply to transborder flights - and why not?

So is this expedited screening as in 'shorter line' like CLEAR or expedited screening as in 'your security check will be more cursory and take less time'? The press release wasn't clear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.