Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated like a complete common criminal.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Treated like a complete common criminal.

Asking for your thoughts about my treatment from TSA terror crew prior to boarding a recent flight on xxxxxxxx air from my Small town airport USA.

The incident happened on Feb 14, 2010.

I was traveling for a short 4 nt. vacation trip from my Small town with my young daughter. The flight was full. 4 hours away from another major airport. Flights are mostly full and operate almost on a daily basis. Not much scheduled service left here...all gone. Moved back to the major markets. This area has very little industry left, most has gone overseas. It is considered rural and jobs are hard to come by and far and few between.

Therefore, someone hired to be a TSA in this area has what is considered a job with bragging rights. Serious bragging rights.

My background. I was born overseas, am naturalized. Have lived in the US and Europe. I have traveled extensively. I have worked for the airlines. I have worked in customs. I speak fluent English and another language I'll let you guess. I've crossed Checkpoint Charlie numerous times, cleared security in the middle east, all over Europe, Central America and more airports than I can even begin to name. I've driven in and out of Canada and Mexico dozens of times. I've been pulled out of airline lines and searched many times. Same deal with having my car searched. I've been taken into small rooms and detained and questioned. Never have I felt violated. Never.

This time... I cleared security with DD, we had carryon luggage and sat in the waiting area to board our flight. No problems. I bought DD a Gaterade and myself a water from the machine next to the jetway to the plane. I noticed a number of TSA's walking around...checking my fellow passengers out like they were looking for "the fugitive". xxxxxxxx began to call boarding. At this point the four wandering TSA agents sprang to action. They stood beside the boarding jetway. I noticed they were pulling what I would consider very affluent looking men aside and basically almost strip searched them adajcent to the jetway where the full flight was being boarded. One man was fine with the treatment. More shell shocked I think. The second man, a professional wearing work blazer and carrying computer and carryon was not fine. I was across the terminal and could not hear the exchange however witness his unhappiness. At this point my row was called to board. I was in the back of the plane. So off we went. Yes, you called it. They pulled me out. I was about to get the "treatment".

I had to lay my carryon luggage and purse on the table for two men TSAs to examine. I told them my carry-on had just gone through secruity. They looked at me like was spouting expletives from the movie "the Exorcist". How dare I open my mouth to speak to these obviously "chosen ones". They opened up my suitcase and pulled apart my belongings as if they were looking for the baby Jesus figure in a Mardi Gras cake! I am very careful about packing and pack my "undies" in dark plastic bags that they were forced remove and to open. The two women TSA's at this point asked me to remove my sweater and my shoes so they could body search me. I had attempted to stand in front of my suitcase so that the entire airport could not see my belongings. I was pulled aside from my suitcase, forced to removed my outer garments and shoes and was told to spread my legs shoulder length, I had to hold out my arms while I was patted down by one of the bullies. Sorry, I have to call them as I see them now. If looks could kill I would've struck them all dead. One of the lady bullies asks me...WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM???? You had to take it all off to get in here????? NOW HOLD OUT YOUR ARMS!!! At this point I didn't say a word. My face was blazing red. The line board the plane was getting a wonderous show. Two male bullies are now done going through my luggage and start on my purse/bag. My designer bag I will add. The one I had my unopened bottle of water I'd just purchased in. Bully one then said he was going to test my water. I said it was unnecessary as I'd just purchased it from the machine over there and pointed past him. He said he had to check it. The sheer absurdity of somebody planting an explosive substance in a water bottle machine was just too much for me. I said NO, this is crazy. I don't want to ruin my bag by having a leaking bottle with me, leave it. At this point, male bully two broke the seal. Bully one "tested" it. Female bullies one and two are now in bliss. Ganging on me...they attempt to point me in a the direction of "Sign" that says...."They have the right to do this!". They want me to "look over there". I competely ignore them all. I put on my sweater, shoes and gather my belongings and DD who is standing there waiting. I asked a FA if I might board the plane now. She had witnessed the treatment and just said to me. Yes, you certainly may. We are the last to get on the plane. Mind you all, this is a plane that boards from the back. WE were in the Back row! Add insult to injury.

I feel I was singled out. I feel they were on a complete and total power trip. Search and destroy and maybe possible humilation. That was the intended goal and I kid you not. I saw the female bullies eyeing my bag and my clothing.

My DD was upset because she didn't understand why I was upset. She is used to being searched also but flies way under the radar. I was still upset the next morning when I woke up. I'd dreamed about the harrassment. I can't seem to put it behind me.

What would you do if this happened to your wife, daughter or mother?

BTW...on the return flight there was a crew of four TSA's walking the terminal. Obviously, the security level down there is different than my Small town as this crew just checked out people and I did not see anybody being searched and destroyed in my hour in the waiting terminal.

Thanks for reading this long winded narrative...Thoughts on this?

Last edited by berlingirl; May 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm Reason: Personal
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can file reports of this abuse with the airport authority, TSA or your elected representatives. Probably won't help since TSA could care less how they treat people.

But don't you feel safer now?

Last edited by Cholula; Mar 2, 2010 at 6:24 am Reason: Removed quote to save bandwidth
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:32 pm

I would complain to everyone you can get ahold of. I've found at the smaller airports are always way more security aggressive than the larger ones, I think it's the "chosen few" you speak of.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:00 pm

In my opinion, this is the worst thing the TSA does. When they single out a passenger, in front of everyone else, and perform a frisking. I once saw a woman burst into tears as they did this to her. Everyone averted their eyes.

It's only happened to me a few times, and I remember feeling embarrassed, ashamed, as if I'd done something wrong. I didn't care if the TSA was "just doing their job." They had no reason to search me; I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

As the TSA should have learned from your former employer, customs, random screenings and friskings are overwhelmingly ineffective. They are a waste of resources, and merely a desperate display of security theater.

Redundant gate screening is humiliating, an inconvenience, and has delayed many flights. The TSA has public admitted that it should "get things right the first time" (i.e. at the checkpoint), yet fails to follow its own directives.

I'm not fond of public frisking of any type, but I'm less bothered if it is applied to absolutely everyone (as the US government started to require of international passengers destined for the USA.) It is the idea of being singled-out, in front of hundreds of people, that is so shaming.

The TSA staff who pulled you aside, and who do this every day must feel some sense of remorse. I can't imagine how they sleep at night thinking, "I touched multiple strangers intimately in a public place because my boss told me to so."

Sadly, it's only getting worse. Since Christmas, the TSA has redoubled its efforts, casting aside the last remaining hopes for responsible, efficient security. The TSA is not a part of our democracy. The TSA head office has no leadership, lawmakers are disinterested, the airlines wish to appear "compliant," and the public has no voice.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:38 pm

Pardon my ignorance... but, does one have the same right to request a private screening that you do at the checkpoint?

Please don't infer any criticism of the OP, just trying to figure out a plan of attack if I'm ever in the same situation.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Boggie Dog...

Nope, wasn't feeling even the slightest bit safer. I continue to feel as if I had been singled out. A couple of years ago, my DD and I were traveling on tickets that had to be reissued at the last minute...taking my discounted farebasis off the ticket and rebooking it in full coach. That signaled a full body search for DD and I at every airport that trip, outbound intl and return. On the first flight out that day, the entire plane clapped when we were allowed to finally board. A few people remarked at that time how they felt safer knowing that the government was making sure my then 10 year old daughter wasn't carrying anything illegal. TSA at the time apologized to us for the delay. I understood they were doing their job.

deadpass...

Undecided about what further action I'll take. The same TSA crew met the inbound flight upon my return. One of the female bully TSAs who is I believe the "boss", was standing adjacent to the gate as we deplaned. I walked within a foot of her as she was scanning the crowd, I caught her eye, held it and looked at her name tag as I walked by, she continued to watch me as I turned around and looked at her once more upon my leaving the gate area. She certainly remembered me. I let her know I remembered her.

Mats...

I feel for the woman you witnessed being frisked in front of the entire airport.
I understand how you felt when you were on the receiving end of the same treatment. Embarrassed, mad and a multitude of many mixed emotions come to mind. I don't know this TSA crew felt any remorse. I think they felt entitled. Can't define it any better than that. They were entitled. They are TSA. They are entitled.

Sirdatary...

No criticism taken...I don't know the answer to that question.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm sure you probably got the extra treatment because they could tell you were upset. I have had my bags checked many times at the gate, usually outside the US, but a few times inside. I've never been frisked at the gate.

I'm sure this was humiliating, but don't let them get to you. The TSA is mostly a joke, and I don't recall them catching any terrorists of late. I don't know that they would target people with money, unless they were looking for drug couriers or money launders or such.

The one thing I've learned with dealing with the TSA that it does no good to get upset. Recently when returning from Asia, both my laptop and rollerboard alarmed red when going through the MSP checkpoint. They were pulling everything out, emptying all the pockets and such. It didn't bother me, since I knew that there was nothing I could do about it. The staff was professional, and after about 15 minutes I got to leave. Do I enjoy having all my undies in plain view? No, but it's part of life.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have become very aggressive with these people in a very cooperative way as time has gone on.

I start by laughing when they pull me aside and saying something like, "Oh, no problem, I've been through this screening a hundred times. I fly EVERY WEEK FOR WORK." Then I use the most commanding voice possible and tell them, "I am an expert packer. I fly EVERY WEEK FOR WORK. You need to be careful not to wrinkle anything and fit it back where it goes." Then after using the bossy voice, smile disarmingly again. Then I chat about how I am a consultant and fly EVERY WEEK FOR WORK.

I've noticed that using this tactic, I'm usually released to go faster than the other victims...

Sad.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by berlingirl
Asking for your thoughts about my treatment from TSA terror crew prior to boarding a recent flight on Allegiant air from my Small town airport USA to Orlando Sanford Intl airport in FL.

"Thanks for reading this long winded narrative...Thoughts on this?"

Yes, it's long winded.

"Waste of time to write and complain? How is this even legal?"
No. Not a waste of time. If you are seeking corrective action you first have to make the situation known to someone in authority. But only if you stick to what is relevant.

Starts with FACTS only. Certainly include date, time, place, airline & flight #, and either the names of (or sufficient physical description to identify) the individuals involved.

Summarize in a sentence or two what happened. "For some reason I was selected for additional screening. After the screening was over I boarded the plane and continued my trip."

Then you can add, "I thought the screeners were rude to me" or "I object to the way I was selected for the screening." Give factual examples to support this.

Details/history about the town - Not relevant.
Your background. Ditto
The way you looked at them, or the way they looked at you. Ditto
Your designer bag. No one cares.
What other passengers said or did. That's their issue.
Leave out the word "bullies." It's unnecessarily emotional.

Two final items.
1. Figure out in your own mind what exactly you want as a result. Just want to make a complaint? Looking for an apology? Monetary compensation, a new bottle of water, free ticket, etc.?
2. Who is this directed to; airport? TSA? airline? Congress, etc?

I'm baffled about the water bottle part. Why woulld TSA be able to examine a sealed bottle purchased inside the secure area?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Jaimito Cartero...

I agree that the more upset I got the more intensive the search became.

Velvet Kennedy...

I was too stunned to baffle anybody with any line at all. I'm glad yours works for you. Yes, and I agree. It is very sad.

Allen...

I don't want anything from the airline, the airport or the government.

I wanted not to be treated like a common criminal. I wanted to be treated like a mom taking a daughter on a trip. I wanted not to feel badly the entire flight down. I wanted it to be fun. That is what I wanted.

So, what do I want now? I don't know. This is a small town. It is a very relevant fact. It's so small that I know a number of the airline employees, I know a number of the TSA people, I know the airport director. I don't want to draw attention to myself. I like, my daughter like to fly under the radar.

I know the female TSA that choose me lives two blocks away from me. I know if I saw her at the grocery store I'd approach her and tell her how rude I felt she was to me. I wouldn't do this at the airport as I'm sure I'd be arrested. I guess I just want them to know that it's not ok to treat people badly just because they can.

I guess they searched the water just because they could.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:48 am
Suspended

Without going back to read your first post, I believe you said you are from a small town.

If so, why not contact your area's newspaper and give them the story. Or write a letter to the editor or an op-ed piece, with the hope that TSA gets some really bad PR.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by doober
Without going back to read your first post, I believe you said you are from a small town.

If so, why not contact your area's newspaper and give them the story. Or write a letter to the editor or an op-ed piece, with the hope that TSA gets some really bad PR.
A small town newspaper printing an article like that? Priceless. +1000^

Some of those stuffed shirts wouldn't be able to drink in peace at any of the local watering holes without having the article waved in their face by other patrons.

Remember flying out of Joplin, Mo airport after 9/11. They had a National Guard type standing duty there (one gate and a sealed waiting room). Around Christmas time he helped put up the decorations. Flying out on one carrier and security was pretty much a breeze. The other carrier tore apart everyone's carry-on in an effort to 'make flying safe' again.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Do I enjoy having all my undies in plain view? No, but it's part of life.
Typical answer by someone that DOESN'T CARE that we have a government agency that feels it can treat anyone they wish in the name of "security".

Oh you'll say you care but by the tone and context of your post you really don't. To quote you......"I'm sure this was humiliating, but don't let them get to you."

Wrong!! We need to start getting upset. Only then will they really change their methods of catching or stopping terrorism.

Right now the TSA is only terrorizing US Citizens with in our own borders. Remember the shoe bomber and underwear bomber came from OUTSIDE the US. And don't even think you can say the original 9/11 terrorists came from the US because while they indeed were on US soil they were NOT US CITIZENS.

But I'm sure someone will try to compare Timothy McVeigh or the recent IRS building attack to the external terrorism caused by Al-Qieda. Sorry 2 different themes.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
As several have commented, including berlingirl, small towns are either the best or the worst but never mediocre. I would not complain to TSA, because this looks like a local issue to me. I would be inclined to write to, or suggest an article in, the local paper.

A common comparison for many people is flying on El Al, where serious searches are the norm. Never, ever, have I had rude treatment on El Al. They are always professional.

Small towns, however, do have a habit of having a somewhat populist perspective towards control. Fight!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:48 am

Honestly there's so much hyperbole and drama in the original post I can't really get a feel for what really must have happened. It might be good for letting off steam, but I would think a letter written in that style as a formal complaint would be effectively ignored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.