Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Ever intentionally mucked up a customs declaration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever intentionally mucked up a customs declaration?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Aside from declared goods, has anyone ever written their wrong birthdate, flight number, departure date, etc? I can't imagine there is any consequence to this. Does anyone ever read these declarations once stamped and released?
Old May 7, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Why would you want to intentionally do that?

I have unintentionally done that and it has been picked up by the Customs officer, fortunately good naturedly, as I had written where I had been - including Africa, then inadvertently ticked I had not been in Africa on another section. The officer question my mistake and corrected it.

On our declaration forms there is a bold section detailing possible penalties for false declaration so I am at a loss why anyone would want to intentionally do so other than for nefarious purposes...
Old May 7, 2010, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never in the US but once I realized after the fact that we had filled in the wrong flight number on the arrival card for China. When we were departing I realized I had put down the departure flight number on the arrival card--they only differ by 1. Nobody noticed.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I'd imagine that one's data on the declaration would be reviewed with some scrutiny during a secondary, but for the most part it does not seem crucial.

Asking because I entered a rough estimate of my flight number on an entry declaration today and nothing came of it.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:27 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Could you have not asked an FA on your flight, and don't you keep your boarding pass until you have at least left the airport?
Old May 8, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo
Could you have not asked an FA on your flight, and don't you keep your boarding pass until you have at least left the airport?
If you're responding to me--the thing is I thought I knew it, there was no reason to look. It's the same flight numbers every trip.
Old May 11, 2010, 8:42 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
Asking because I entered a rough estimate of my flight number on an entry declaration today and nothing came of it.
I'd imagine that leaving the field blank is a better choice. OTOH, if using a rough estimate counts as a false declaration, then I do it all the time when I estimate the value of goods.

I wouldn't call using a best guess "intentionally muck[ing] up"; for all you know you may have given the correct number.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Aeroplan
I was flying this year on my birthday and I had to fill out a customs form. I filled out the bottom first with the day, month, year, and then under "date of birth" I wrote the same thing - 2010, not 1975. Whoops. The Customs guy was good-natured about it and after realizing I was in crisis/shock/panic mode from turning 35 earlier that day, understood and had me correct it.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ErrandGirl
I was flying this year on my birthday and I had to fill out a customs form. I filled out the bottom first with the day, month, year, and then under "date of birth" I wrote the same thing - 2010, not 1975. Whoops. The Customs guy was good-natured about it and after realizing I was in crisis/shock/panic mode from turning 35 earlier that day, understood and had me correct it.
I've caught myself making that mistake before but never tried to turn one in with the wrong year on it.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Clearly someone reads it / they go somewhere - wasn't it reported that the Times Square "would-be" bomber was traced because of the phone number he had supplied on a customs form when he last entered the country?
Old May 12, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Nope. I have had immigrations officers catch inadvertent mistakes though, and they were usually nice about it. Intentional misstatements are not wise, not to mention illegal.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL,EK
When I went back into the US having been to North Korea (and South Korea), I debated putting just 'Korea' on the declaration, but wrote both and they didn't mention it at all.

Since I no longer live in the US, I am usually not sure how to fill out "countries visited on this trip prior to US arrival" and I usually write "none" since I am coming directly from my overseas home.

The Korea trip however, I flew from Europe to the US to Korea, then back through the US to the Mid East (Sudan).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.