Taking pills (Ibuprofen) through security

Old May 12, 2010, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
Actually, they have the authority, to determine that it doesn't contain WEI, not "to determine that it is, in fact, medicine".

If they have to open the container to determine that it doesn't contain WEI, so be it, but they don't have to determine that "it is, in fact, medicine", just that it doesn't contain WEI. @:-)
You're getting lost in the semantics again. To use another simple example that follows your logic I could take a 5-gallon drum of undetermined liquid, sealed in a plastic container with a large "medicine" label stuck on it and the TSO would have to let it through. Medically necessary liquid, after all! You and I both know this isn't the case. It would be taken for further investigation, opened, analysed, probably have a sample removed for testing, etc. and then most likely not let through.

To repeat - simply saying something is "medicine" doesn't give you a free pass to take whatever it is through. I don't know why you won't concede the point when the answer is so obvious.
Old May 12, 2010, 7:35 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
You're getting lost in the semantics again. To use another simple example that follows your logic I could take a 5-gallon drum of undetermined liquid, sealed in a plastic container with a large "medicine" label stuck on it and the TSO would have to let it through. Medically necessary liquid, after all! You and I both know this isn't the case. It would be taken for further investigation, opened, analysed, probably have a sample removed for testing, etc. and then most likely not let through.

To repeat - simply saying something is "medicine" doesn't give you a free pass to take whatever it is through. I don't know why you won't concede the point when the answer is so obvious.
First of all, I wasn't taling about liquid-- there's another thread somewhere about that (in which LuvAirFrance again explains why no one would ever need any medical liquid, but I digress). I thought this thread was about pills, in fact I just did a search for "liquid" and the first time it came up was in your post above. Liquid is an exception and I actually posed a very similar question to TSORon in one of the threads that deals with that issue, though I haven't gotten a response yet:

Originally Posted by Ari
Originally Posted by TSORon
“Claiming” something is a medical necessity and it actually being one are two different things. We as TSO’s have no way of determining if it is such.
So then what do you do if I claim something is medically necessary? I can claim a bottle of water is a medical necessity; I can claim contact solution is a medical necessity; I can also a 120 mL bottle of Rx medicine is a medical necessity.

In the case of the water, I doubt a TSO will buy it. In the case of contact solution, it seems that it will be allowed unless a supervisor tells you that you "don't have the time". In the case of the Rx medicine, I seriously doubt it would not be allowed in any case, even if the checkpoint were busy. So at some point, the TSO does have to make a judgment, right? If I claimed that a bottle of water was a medical necessity, would that just be accepted and would it be tested, or would there be some debate in the matter and a common-sense judgment?
But in this case, I was simply replying in the context of this thread which I thought to be pills and I believe I am right:

If I have a bottle of something non-liquid that is labeled as medicine and it needs to be opened for some reason because it could contain WEI, they don't have to determine that "it is, in fact, medicine", just that it doesn't contain WEI. It can contain tic-tacs, M&M's, extasy, spare change, marbles, grandma's ashes, paprika or it could be empty. They don't have to "determine that it is, in fact, medicine that you are taking through" as you state above once they satisfy themselves that it doesn't contain WEI.

That is not just semantics; it is simply a false statement: You said: "that they had authority to determine that it is, in fact, medicine that you are taking through." That is simply not true; they don't have to identify the contents at all. There is nothing "obvious" that I need to "concede; I think you need to go back and re-think this one.

I agree with you that a container that alarms or otherwise needs to be searched to rule out WEI can be opened if need be, even if it is labeled as or represented as medication, but I disagree with you that they have to "determine that it is, in fact, medicine" after they clear it of WEI.

Again, no one is talking about liquid here. Are we in agreement now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.