Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of food can you bring into the US?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The CBP usually doesn't care about cookies and crackers and packaged breakfast cereals, but it is food to be declared. More often than not, the agents won't care to send such persons to ag inspection after the passenger answers the question about what kind of food.
Precisely. You can enter with suitcases filled with chocolates, sweet meats, bottled pickles, etc, but if you have a pressing need to bring back Mum's home cooked Nihari, Kofta curry, achaar or paratha's, or even certain herbs and plants that only grow only in say the Indian sub-continent, you are going to have to use the process outlined earlier in this thread.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by blumage
Well since i'm already in Italy i have instant access to original and probably cheaper products. I'm also going to meet some friends in the Canada and was trying to think about some gifts, and it came to my mind what's better than a yummy parma smoked ham?
Plus haven't you ever been to a place and liked the local food so much that you decided to bring some home? It always happen to me when i go in Asia.
It's sad that i can't bring any food in. Although US border is less strict than the Australian authorities, a lot of items are still prohibited.
Italy is one of those places where I love the local food, but I wouldn't think of trying to bring back prohibited items like fresh meat and cheese. (Legal items such as many processed and commercially packaged foods, maybe.) I live in Asia and while I'd dearly love to take back a supply of my favorite tropical fruits with me, that can't be found in my area of the USA, I don't. Every time I return to the US from Asia, I see many Asians in the Customs and Ag lines having their baggage searched, primarily for the illicit food items that too many of them try to sneak in. Disclaimer: I used to own a beagle, and I KNOW how hard it is to fool their noses.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by jiejie
Disclaimer: I used to own a beagle, and I KNOW how hard it is to fool their noses.
Tell me about it!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:03 pm

Bringing food into the USA

Hi,

Hopefully I have chosen the correct forum, I am off to the states (SFO specifically) in just over a week and I have been thinking of bringing some Kiwi treats over with me which I know that my American cousins love.

The thing is they are called Twisties (Click Twisties to see the product to get an understanding) and they are made from a cheese byproduct or at least a cheese flavoring (they are sealed etc just like normal potato chips) but I was wondering as it has cheese in it which was restricted on the USA import list thing I saw if I can actually take it with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You MUST declare ALL food items. If you enter the country with anything that can be consumed as food, you MUST check "Yes" on your declaration form and be ready to explain and/or show the items to the CBP officers. When I went in for my NEXUS interview, the CBP officer was adamant and stern about it. You don't want to get caught with undeclared items, even if those items would be permitted entry if you had declared them properly.

That said, what you describe--snack items, processed/packaged foods, crackers, etc.--are generally permitted. Again, as long as you declare properly.

Cheese is not a restricted item for the USA as long as it's pasteurized, processed, etc. (home-made goat cheese and some other soft cheeses would be prohibited, though)

Lots of good information here (PDF warning).

Last edited by ESpen36; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:16 pm
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:19 am

Cheers, I figured as much.

Yea, I knew that I would have to declare it on the ticket but was unsure as I read problems about cheese products.

Thanks a ton for the response.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I would think the actual cheese content of Twisties was negligable...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:02 am

Programs: UA PS - DL FO & .4MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
You MUST declare ALL food items. If you enter the country with anything that can be consumed as food, you MUST check "Yes" on your declaration form and be ready to explain and/or show the items to the CBP officers. When I went in for my NEXUS interview, the CBP officer was adamant and stern about it. You don't want to get caught with undeclared items, even if those items would be permitted entry if you had declared them properly.

That said, what you describe--snack items, processed/packaged foods, crackers, etc.--are generally permitted. Again, as long as you declare properly.

Cheese is not a restricted item for the USA as long as it's pasteurized, processed, etc. (home-made goat cheese and some other soft cheeses would be prohibited, though)

Lots of good information here (PDF warning).
Make sure they're not all that great otherwise the agents may just have to taste a few of em chips
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:59 am

I've never had a problem with commercially packaged stuff..... in my case Tim - Tams!!!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I would think the actual cheese content of Twisties was negligable...
All it has is "Cheese Powder," and it's the fourth listed ingredient, right ahead of salt.

Twisties Ingredients: Corn, Vegetable Oil, Rice, Whey Powder, Cheese Powder, Salt, Cream Powder, Milk Powder, Flavour Enhancer (621), Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein, Flavours, Yeast Extract, Food Acid (270), Cream Powder, Milk Powder, Colours

http://www.smiths.com.au/nutrition/n...n-twisties.htm
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by trooper
I've never had a problem with commercially packaged stuff..... in my case Tim - Tams!!!
Same here. The border agents are concerned about meat, so if you have any packaged meat products they will want to look closely. I've never had a problem with crackers, cheese products, candy or coffee.

However, in the case of the OP, are you sure that even qualifies as food? Doesn't look too nutritious.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: QFF
lol. did the same thing on Tuesday. They did wonder why I had no liquor or cigarettes though.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Same here. The border agents are concerned about meat, so if you have any packaged meat products they will want to look closely. I've never had a problem with crackers, cheese products, candy or coffee.

Yes, meat products, even packaged, are not allowed entry. I went to a CBP open house a couple of years ago, and they had a show-and-tell of typical items confiscated, including some ones you wouldn't expect, like beef jerky, chicken bullion cubes, meat-flavored salad dressings, canned items, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, meat products, even packaged, are not allowed entry.
What if your food is disguised as a business card?

http://www.meatcards.com/
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Available @ Cost Plus World Market branded as Arnott's (affiliated with Pepperidge Farms USA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.