Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA director at Norfolk International Airport accused of not following procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA director at Norfolk International Airport accused of not following procedures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-accuse...,7401119.story

... Sources tell NewsChannel 3 that when Assistant Federal Security Director Larry Kumjian passed through initial security last week he was asked to submit to an additional screening.

A secondary screening can be random or brought on by an alarm. Kumjian allegedly declined a second screening citing TSA protocol. Sources close to the investigation tell NewsChannel 3 that TSA agents typically do not "second screen" their own.

TSA released this statement: "A full investigation into this matter is currently underway. Disciplinary action will be taken, if necessary."

When asked if there was a breach in security, TSA said, "The individual in question was fully screened and there was no security breach."
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Must be good to be the king except when one of the lesser evil minions attempt a palace coup.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uh-oh, looks like there will be a screener with a negative PASS score.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Good for the agent who filed a complaint.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What else is new?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
But don't worry.

He had a background check.

So he must be trustworthy.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Sources close to the investigation tell NewsChannel 3 that TSA agents typically do not "second screen" their own.

"My first question in this job interview, Mr. Benlodden, is what has motivated you to seek employment with the TSA?"
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Only little people submit to screening."
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only silver lining to this story is the fact that it is part of a growing trend of media focus on the BS put out by TSA.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
When asked if there was a breach in security, TSA said, "The individual in question was fully screened and there was no security breach."
Bet this bravo-sierra would not be said if a regular passenger declined the secondary.

So, if we're fully screened, why is a secondary necessary?

Oh, wait, some folks are more equal than others.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by halls120
The only silver lining to this story is the fact that it is part of a growing trend of media focus on the BS put out by TSA.
^ Lets hope it continues.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:32 am

If he did not go through secondary after being advised than yes it was a breach, last time i checked.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Sean5294
If he did not go through secondary after being advised than yes it was a breach, last time i checked.
WHAT, a breach with no terminal dump?

If all the People in Washington are so sure that the TSA is doing such a great job worth billions, then why don't THEY go through security incognito just to show the American public that we are making mountains out of molehills? Then they should publish the pictures of their families after they have gone through the MMW.

The answer is that they know what's really going on, but they can't look like idiots, don't know how to fix the problems and they just don't give a da*n because it doesn't affect them.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
At least now we all know that for ORF, just tell your screener "Larry sent me."
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by peersteve
At least now we all know that for ORF, just tell your screener "Larry sent me."
moe, larry, the cheese
moe, larry, the cheese

sorry, i just couldn't resist tho the larry i reference would be more fitting when referring to the tsa, ne'st pas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.