Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA director at Norfolk International Airport accused of not following procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA director at Norfolk International Airport accused of not following procedures

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The AFSD is still employes as an SES federal civil servant.

The union rep has given us a glimpse of life-after-unions. Individual screening clerks will go public with a lot more of these types of things. This will further erode the image of the TSA and will be a catalyst for what we hope is an eventual meltdown. Their internal conflicts will become more public, which is a good thing. I'm mercenary enough to be pleased by the prospect of unions killing the TSA, if that's what it takes.
Yep, gotta love management. They can away with so much ......... It's not even funny.

Although, I see unions improving TSA and not killing it. Make it more sensible.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
This is going to be fun. He's an AFSD at ORF, yet watching the report, it appears he was passing through his home airport while traveling on vacation, and not working. Wouldn't his FISA badge get him through security, or do you have to be "dressed for work" to do it that way? Or was it his carry-on luggage that forced him not to use a FISA entrance?

It would be interesting to see how he would have dealt with this, outside of his home airport.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Yep, gotta love management. They can away with so much ......... It's not even funny.

Although, I see unions improving TSA and not killing it. Make it more sensible.
What I don't understand is that we have been told by TSA spokespersons and TSA employees that when traveling TSA employees have to go through the same security screenings as any other person.

Yet when this AFSD, a management level TSA employee, is required to be screened he throws his weight around and evades proper screening.

Should there not be some charges of evading screening levied along with charges for casusing delays and obstructing the duties of TSA employees at the checkpoint?

If a AFSD cannot held accountable at TSA then who will be?

Should this person be a government employee? I think not!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:12 pm

Last edited by Chaos.Defined; Mar 9, 2011 at 12:55 am
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What I don't understand is that we have been told by TSA spokespersons and TSA employees that when traveling TSA employees have to go through the same security screenings as any other person.
And you actually believed them?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:10 pm

Last edited by Chaos.Defined; Mar 9, 2011 at 12:56 am
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:59 pm

Yet when this AFSD, a management level TSA employee, is required to be screened he throws his weight around and evades proper screening.

Should there not be some charges of evading screening levied along with charges for casusing delays and obstructing the duties of TSA employees at the checkpoint?

If a AFSD cannot held accountable at TSA then who will be?

Should this person be a government employee? I think not!

TSA FSD staff or any TSA person using their position flying out of their own airport turning down secondary screening or allowing someone to turn it down should be fired. This AFSD is one of the boss' of everyone and he got away with it. I bet he'll be the first one to fire a one striper though when they do it.

Total cover up for this AFSD. I'm sure these cover ups go on at every airport in management.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shortoneisi
TSA FSD staff or any TSA person using their position flying out of their own airport turning down secondary screening or allowing someone to turn it down should be fired. This AFSD is one of the boss' of everyone and he got away with it. I bet he'll be the first one to fire a one striper though when they do it.

Total cover up for this AFSD. I'm sure these cover ups go on at every airport in management.
I don't know if I said anything upstream, but, your post jogged my memory that this incident is clearly a violation of government ethics rules for the very reason you state. The pesky little aspect of these rules is that one violates ethics rules either by actually doing something wrong or sending the perception that you have done something wrong. Perception of a violation is just as bad as an actual violation.

I'm sure this dirtbag can flash his badge and go anywhere he wants at the airport. What got him in trouble was that a brave whistleblower had the perception that there was an ethics violation. Since the TSA HAS no ethics, it's pretty easy to see why they just blew this whole thing off.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by shortoneisi

They do... Washington (TSA, other agency, policymakers) doesn't care.....
Everyone has nice, "situation will be looked into" auto-replies though....
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: TSA TSO

Because he's a power-tripping @$$hole like many mangers are at TSA.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Because he's a power-tripping @$$hole like many mangers are at TSA.
Be careful, your agency lurks here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.