Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA really tried to ban "lap children" for the last hour of flights to the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The TSA also relaxed rules that had prohibited passengers from leaving their seats, opening carry-on bags and keeping blankets or babies on their laps during the last hour of international flights entering the U.S., according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the TSA had not publicly disclosed the change.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/...nger_confusion

Did the TSA actually prohibit passengers from keeping babies on their laps during the last hour of international flights entering the US? For full flights to the US, where were those lap children supposed to be placed if not in the laps of the parent/guardian? Put them in the overhead bin or in the space under the seat in front of the passenger?

If this was actually part of the TSA's demand, it gives new meaning to "think of the children".
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:23 pm

Exclamation

Babies must remain in the overhead bin.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by schwarm
Babies must remain in the overhead bin.
Or in checked luggage. Just don't forget to puncture a few holes.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:40 pm

Babies have to fit in a Ziploc bag.
This is out of an abundance of caution.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mats
Babies have to fit in a Ziploc bag.
This is out of an abundance of caution.
Remember that it has to be a leaky Ziploc bag with holes for air. The TSA doesn't want images of flag-draped coffins the size of an infant to eat up television airtime at a time when there is an army of nervous nellies and their comrade "experts" to be put on TV who want to feel safe and will try to justify most everything done in the name of "security".
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
here's what I do with my baby:

Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Did the TSA actually prohibit passengers from keeping babies on their laps during the last hour of international flights entering the US? For full flights to the US, where were those lap children supposed to be placed if not in the laps of the parent/guardian? Put them in the overhead bin or in the space under the seat in front of the passenger?

If this was actually part of the TSA's demand, it gives new meaning to "think of the children".
Don't be silly. TSA didn't have the time to think. They just issued the rules, oops recommendations, no , guidelines without thinking, not that they can think.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:10 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Or, perhaps some low level TSA bureaucrat merely put his foot in his mouth (maybe he enjoys the taste of shoe leather).
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by carsonheim
"here's what I do with my baby:

"

That's better than the picture of my sister holding her baby boy when she visited me one day years ago. The baby had diarrhea so bad and she had run out of diapers. I came up with paper toweling for the diaper, a hefty bag as a liner, and strapping tape to hold it all together. It worked. Baby was happy.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:38 am
Suspended

You know how those people are. They might use loose children as projectiles.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yaatri
You know how those people are. They might use loose children as projectiles.
Yes, and you know that peace will come when they love their children more than they hate us.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:54 am
Suspended

Yes, and you know that peace will come when they love their children more than they hate us.
Now you are getting me all confused. I thought WE love freedom and THEY hate freedom.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Now you are getting me all confused. I thought WE love freedom and THEY hate freedom.
As the TSA is a confused agency, so confusion gets perpetuated.

Now let's see if we can get some clarification.

Did the TSA actually ban parents/guardians from holding a lap child on their lap during the last hour of a flight to the US?

The official quoted by the news article certainly does seem to have said that the TSA's restrictions against passengers having things on their lap during the last hour of a flight to the US also prohibited holding an infant on the lap during the last hour of a flight to the US.

Given the TSA's rush to seem to be doing something -- anything -- I would not be surprised if the restrictions were drafted such as to not exempt lap children from staying in the laps of their parents/guardians.

Welcome to the TSA, representatives of a shoot-first-and-wildly-and-ask-questions-later-if-ever way.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, Hertz 5*, WN CP A-List, US SP
Originally Posted by carsonheim
here's what I do with my baby:

nice
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
where were those lap children supposed to be placed if not in the laps of the parent/guardian? Put them in the overhead bin or in the space under the seat in front of the passenger?
Children can be stowed in the overhead bin for the duration of the flight unless they are larger than 45 linear inches in which case they must be checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.