Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Questions about TSA Jackets and Belts Policies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I'd expected to find such a thread...perhaps these questions should be merged elsewhere...

I am Pre and CLEAR, FWIW...

Curious as to why I can wear my rather heavy "job" shirt through security, but can't wear a lightweight fleece jacket, even unzipped, I have to put it through the scanner. For those of you who don't know what a job shirt is - it is a heavy outer layer - usually two layers itself with a v-neck zipper. It is certainly much heavier than most spring/fall jackets.

Curious as to why I have to sometimes remove my nylon-like web belt with plastic buckles. I switched to such a belt when traveling as my supposed TSA-compliant "dressier" belt still set off the metal detector 1/2 the time. Some TSA agents want me to remove the nylon-like belt, some don't (and I pass through without an issue). I surmise that the TSA agent is simply not knowledgeable about the material and would rather me pass through without any glitches. I'm not going to argue about a simple matter and removing it is not a big deal. As I stated, just curious...
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Makes me wonder: if lots of women wore job-shirts without any underlayer and brassieres would there be more requirements to remove the job-shirts, too?

My take on it is: the short answer is that to minimize TSO guessing which garments must come off and which can remain on and therefore minimize inconsistently requiring passengers to disrobe is to have all outer "coat-/jacket-type" garments be removed and all shirt/sweater type garments remain on. It isn't so much the thickness of the garment as it is the outward appearance of type.
lamphs and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
I am Pre and CLEAR, FWIW...

Curious as to why I can wear my rather heavy "job" shirt through security, but can't wear a lightweight fleece jacket, even unzipped, I have to put it through the scanner.
Do you go through the metal detector or body scanner? Through the metal detector, with PreCheck, you should be able to wear a lightweight fleece jacket. TSA even says so right on their PreCheck page. I have done so as have many others. Though you're not the only one who has been told to put it through the x-ray.

Curious as to why I have to sometimes remove my nylon-like web belt with plastic buckles. I switched to such a belt when traveling as my supposed TSA-compliant "dressier" belt still set off the metal detector 1/2 the time. Some TSA agents want me to remove the nylon-like belt, some don't (and I pass through without an issue). I surmise that the TSA agent is simply not knowledgeable about the material and would rather me pass through without any glitches. I'm not going to argue about a simple matter and removing it is not a big deal. As I stated, just curious...
That is odd. I can and do wear my normal belt with a metal buckle through the metal detector in the PreCheck line without issues. The detectors in the non-PreCheck lines are usually set at a higher sensitivity and alarm if I have my belt on.

I'd expected to find such a thread...perhaps these questions should be merged elsewhere...
I found a couple old threads:
what TSA considers a "light jacket"
TSA PreCheck Jacket strategy
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
Makes me wonder: if lots of women wore job-shirts without any underlayer and brassieres would there be more requirements to remove the job-shirts, too?

My take on it is: the short answer is that to minimize TSO guessing which garments must come off and which can remain on and therefore minimize inconsistently requiring passengers to disrobe is to have all outer "coat-/jacket-type" garments be removed and all shirt/sweater type garments remain on. It isn't so much the thickness of the garment as it is the outward appearance of type.
Good point re: undergarments. I always have the v-neck open and have a shirt on underneath.

Originally Posted by Rare
Do you go through the metal detector or body scanner? Through the metal detector, with PreCheck, you should be able to wear a lightweight fleece jacket. TSA even says so right on their PreCheck page. I have done so as have many others. Though you're not the only one who has been told to put it through the x-ray.

That is odd. I can and do wear my normal belt with a metal buckle through the metal detector in the PreCheck line without issues. The detectors in the non-PreCheck lines are usually set at a higher sensitivity and alarm if I have my belt on.

Re: lightweight jacket and belt. I am not going to argue with TSA. Yes, I have Pre. Interestingly enough, I got selected for a random and went through the scanner. The heavy-duty elbow fabric on the job shirt was picked up by the scanner and I had a quick pat down at my elbows.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:14 am

I can not use the metal detector and remove my belt all the time at Pre (and get yelled at for doing so sometimes). Then through the scanner if I have it on I get an alert and the fingers. It really doesn't matter for me as at 6' 7" my head alerts all the time, yellow box on the head. 50/50 if they ask me to bend over to look at my bald spot and one time they asked to touch my head. I asked them to re-glove before doing so. Belt is off for me.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I can not use the metal detector and remove my belt all the time at Pre (and get yelled at for doing so sometimes). Then through the scanner if I have it on I get an alert and the fingers. It really doesn't matter for me as at 6' 7" my head alerts all the time, yellow box on the head. 50/50 if they ask me to bend over to look at my bald spot and one time they asked to touch my head. I asked them to re-glove before doing so. Belt is off for me.
Flagging the top of your head is a prime example of the TSA smoke and mirror show. Every time we travel, they act like they've never seen an implanted defibrillator. My husband is very thin, and even though his is under the chest muscle, it's highly visible through his shirt. Good thing the machines can't see all wires.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Back when the TSA was obsessed with frisking even more than they are now, I was frequently subjected to gropings of bare arms and legs (if wearing shorts). On day, I decided to engage in PYSOPS with a screener. I asked him in a voice loud enough to be heard over the ambient noise of the checkpoint, "Do you realize how stupid you look patting down bare skin?"
lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Spirit Gold, IHG, Hertz Gold
One time at a foreign checkpoint I asked why I had to take off my belt, as it was the nylon / plastic buckle type, I assured them it wouldn't set off their metal detector.. The person was very nice and explained that with the advent of "secret zipper pockets" inside of belts, they have to xray them. I guess that sounds like as good of an excuse as any...
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by BrightParrot
One time at a foreign checkpoint I asked why I had to take off my belt, as it was the nylon / plastic buckle type, I assured them it wouldn't set off their metal detector.. The person was very nice and explained that with the advent of "secret zipper pockets" inside of belts, they have to xray them. I guess that sounds like as good of an excuse as any...
eh, sort of. More to the point is that some of those plastic belts have plastic edged weapons built in to the buckle that will be detected by the scanner but not the WTMD.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 6:22 am

Apparently they have no clue. I intentionally wear a belt with a detachable metal buckle so I can avoid removing it. It’s never a problem anywhere but in USA, where I’ve just returned from. Took the buckle off, put it in the bin. Step into the scanner, holding my trousers up. Agent tells me I have to put both hands over my head. Tell him sure if he holds my pants up. He tasks why I have to hold them up. I tell him because the buckle is in the x-Ray. Tells me I am not supposed to my belt thru the x-Ray and has me go retrieve the buckle, buckle my belt and do the scan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.