Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I find out if I'm on the no-fly list?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

How do I find out if I'm on the no-fly list?

I'd like to know if I 'm on the no-fly list in advance, before purchasing a ticket and making all the arrangements. How do I learn this in advance? Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mileena
I'd like to know if I 'm on the no-fly list in advance, before purchasing a ticket and making all the arrangements. How do I learn this in advance? Thanks!
I would assume you'd know if you were on the list or not but if you want to be sure, try calling 202-282-8000. That's the switchboard number for DHS. They will be happy to help
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
You are now on the watch list for wondering aloud if you are. But seriously I would think calling to ask if you are on the list does raise suspicion.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
you would have recieved a letter in the mail. A while ago. It was mailed in a security envelop.
if you didn't - you can fly freely.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

wouldn't TSA have the airlines screen out anyone beforehand, when they book their ticket? Otherwise, people on the no-fly list would risk making resevations, packing, booking a cruise, ground transportation, etc., only to go to the airport to find out they are not allowed to fly. Seems like it would be easier to have people rejected right off the bat to save everyone a lot of hassle.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I saw this from The Atlantic, regarding how to check if you are on the no-fly list:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/20081...ort-security/2

The ID triangle: before a passenger boards a commercial flight, he interacts with his airline or the government three times—when he purchases his ticket; when he passes through airport security; and finally at the gate, when he presents his boarding pass to an airline agent. It is at the first point of contact, when the ticket is purchased, that a passenger’s name is checked against the government’s no-fly list. It is not checked again, and for this reason, Schnei.er argued, the process is merely another form of security theater.

“The goal is to make sure that this ID triangle represents one person,” he explained. “Here’s how you get around it. Let’s assume you’re a terrorist and you believe your name is on the watch list.” It’s easy for a terrorist to check whether the government has cottoned on to his existence, Schnei.er said; he simply has to submit his name online to the new, privately run CLEAR program, which is meant to fast-pass approved travelers through security. If the terrorist is rejected, then he knows he’s on the watch list.

To slip through the only check against the no-fly list, the terrorist uses a stolen credit card to buy a ticket under a fake name. “Then you print a fake boarding pass with your real name on it and go to the airport. You give your real ID, and the fake boarding pass with your real name on it, to security. They’re checking the documents against each other. They’re not checking your name against the no-fly list—that was done on the airline’s computers. Once you’re through security, you rip up the fake boarding pass, and use the real boarding pass that has the name from the stolen credit card. Then you board the plane, because they’re not checking your name against your ID at boarding.”
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
ummmm.....buy a ticket and try to fly??

--PP
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Buy a ticket, a refundable one if you'd like. Try to check in online. If you can, and can print a boarding pass, you're not on the NFL.

If you cannot check in, you or a name similar to yours *might* be on the list (but probably still aren't).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.