Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Federal Agents seize travel bloggers computer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:07 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
This bullsh*t warrant should have had buckshot-sized holes blown in it.

We got "change" all right: thuggery against journalists.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I think some in the media are turning. I'm under the impression that ABC News World will paint the US intelligence community in a non-favorable way over this based on the clip they have on-line talking about what they are working on for tonight's show. I think the phrase used along the lines of “I’ve never seen them so tense before"
ABC News was fairly harsh on the TSA when we (the collective brain of FT ) discovered the redacted SOP manual a few weeks ago. Might be worth watching tonight.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I think some in the media are turning. I'm under the impression that ABC News World will paint the US intelligence community in a non-favorable way over this based on the clip they have on-line talking about what they are working on for tonight's show. I think the phrase used along the lines of “I’ve never seen them so tense before"
I was quite surprised to even see Anne Coulter blasting this stupidity.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
MSNBC may have one or two headline names sympathetic to the bloggers or who can be made sympathetic to the bloggers.

Fox would love any opportunity to bash the current Administration and this would let them show the extent to what a government may try to intimidate people who don't seem to haven't broken a law that justifies this kind of treatment that happens in Iran or Zimbabwe.

This playbook from the government is straight out of Iran or Zimbabwe.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by smibay
What about the TSA screening procedure MOP? They didn't bother going after everyone who redistributed that document even with security information attached.
bingo!

afaic, the tsa is a dire need of a "physician heal thyself" time-out before they do anything stoopit like going after a reporter and/or blogger who posted the information as it will only give them bad press. hey, wait a minute, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all.......
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
I can only hope they mount a legal challenge to this action to establish some legal precedent. If they take up a collection I'll certainly be throwing a few $$ in.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
The TSA special agents come across as pretty stupid in the wired article if they over reacted to a phone having ICE. (In Case of Emergency). My basic cell phone has that buillt into it and spells the letters out automaticly if you attach the tag ICE to a phone number.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If these government employees would have taken him, they would have had to take such a young minor too and put them into custody or risk an even bigger PR nightmare in the absence of an appropriate legal guardian being present.

"TSA threatens to endanger 3-year old!" What a new low even for the TSA.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
It now makes sense why they are trying so hard to close this impossible to close hole. According to ABC news, new directives for much tougher domestic screening comes out next week. They don't want the public to know what they are expected to do. Airlines are pushing back.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:46 pm

Simple answer here is tell the agents to get a warrant and show them out. If they refuse to leave call the cops. In fact call the cops anyhow as you can not be sure the "agents" are law enforcement officers.

Remember we are not privy to the IDs of Government employees by design.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
It now makes sense why they are trying so hard to close this impossible to close hole. According to ABC news, new directives for much tougher domestic screening comes out next week. They don't want the public to know what they are expected to do. Airlines are pushing back.
The agents searched through Frischling’s BlackBerry and iPhone and questioned him about a number of phone numbers and messages in the devices. One number listed in his phone under “ICEMOM” was a quick dial to his mother, in case of emergency. The agents misunderstood the acronym and became suspicious that it was code for his anonymous source and asked if his source worked for ICE — the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The agents then said they wanted to take an image of his hard drive. Frischling said they had to go to WalMart to buy a hard drive, but when they returned were unable to get it to work. Frischling said the keyboard on his laptop was no longer working after they tried to copy his files. The agents left around 11 p.m. but came back Wednesday morning and, with Frischling’s consent, seized his laptop, which they promised to return after copying the hard drive.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. TSA goobers don't have the slightest clue as to how to perform computer forensics. Getting a hard drive from Wal-Mart and doing this in the guy's living room show just how incompetent they are. A bunch of URL 404s.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by gdeluca
Unreal!
Actually, Very REAL !!!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DIFIN
they threaten you with massive removal of all electronics in the hope you give them your PC.

TELL ME WE DON'T LIVE IN A POLICE STATE
We don't live in a police state.

"Police State" is way too mild a term for what kind of environment exists today.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
This is downright scary. Here's a story about Fish from Wired:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...eatens-blogger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.