Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
According to Jake Tapper, ABC Sr. White House correspondent, President Obama held a call with Senior Staff about the incident and "following Northwest airlines incident, Dept Homeland Security says plane "Passengers may notice additional screening measures"".
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
A couple of minutes ago from AP:

U.S. intelligence official: Passenger on Detroit flight was attempting to blow up plane.

and MSNBC

Last edited by Fredd; Dec 25, 2009 at 3:46 pm Reason: add "breaking news" link
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:50 pm

Several news sources are also reporting that he was on a "no-fly" list.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Firecracker ban coming soon to TSA

MSNBC: The man was subdued by the flight crew of Flight 253 from Amsterdam, one counterterrorism official said. The official said the man left Lagos, Nigeria, on Thursday, then boarded the Northwest Flight 253 in Amsterdam on Friday.
The Transportation Security Administration issued a statement reading, in part: “All passengers have deplaned and out of an abundance of caution, the plane was moved to a remote area where the plane and all baggage are currently being rescreened."

Originating in LOS, may or may not have been rescreened in AMS. Isn't LOS one of the places widely known to have screening standards even below TSA's? No skill or extensive tewwowist training needed to carry on a couple of firecrackers.

add: Suspect was not screened by TSA, and was jumped by pax and/or crew, the new Flight 93 Rules, with DHS/TSA doing nothing. If he was on the no fly list and allowed to fly, then DHS scores a big Zero on this one. But watch them brag "We caught a Tewwowist™" anyway.

Last edited by Flaflyer; Dec 25, 2009 at 3:58 pm Reason: add
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
MSNBC: The man was subdued by the flight crew of Flight 253 from Amsterdam, one counterterrorism official said. The official said the man left Lagos, Nigeria, on Thursday, then boarded the Northwest Flight 253 in Amsterdam on Friday.
The Transportation Security Administration issued a statement reading, in part: “All passengers have deplaned and out of an abundance of caution, the plane was moved to a remote area where the plane and all baggage are currently being rescreened."

Originating in LOS, may or may not have been rescreened in AMS. Isn't LOS one of the places widely known to have screening standards even below TSA's? No skill or extensive tewwowist training needed to carry on a couple of firecrackers.
No, this is mean where he is coming from Yemen and not in Nigeria. He is claim by al Qaeda is on terrorist list and he didn't have any secondary screening at the gates bound for USA flight.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
NBC is reporting that Homeland Security has raised the security level to Orange following this incident.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
NBC is reporting that Homeland Security has raised the security level to Orange following this incident.
Am I the only one going to the tsa web site to try to remember what orange means again?!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Hmm. A quick trip to DHS.GOV indicated that the security level was already at Orange for international flights, but only at Yellow for domestic flights.

Since the flight in question was an international flight, already at Orange, I'm not sure what raising the security level for domestic flights accomplishes ...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The first passenger eyewitness comments I've read:

[excerpts]

A senior U.S. counterterror official says a passenger aboard a Delta Air Lines flight in Detroit was planning to blow up the plane but the explosive device failed, the Associated Press reported today.

The official said the passenger was being questioned this evening. It was not immediately clear why the passenger wanted to attack the flight that was arriving from Amsterdam...

Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott said most of the passengers were still being held at the airport as of 4:30 p.m.

But later, Syed Jafry of Holland, Mich., emerged from the airport and said he was a passenger on the flight. He said people ran out of their seats to tackle the man.

Jafry was sitting in the 16th row when he heard "a pop and saw some smoke and fire."

Jafry said there was a little bit of commotion for about 10 to 15 minutes.

He said the way passengers responded made him proud to be an American.

http://freep.com/article/20091225/NE...t-into-Detroit
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:34 pm

Oh no!! Not orange!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
If he was on the no fly list and allowed to fly, then DHS scores a big Zero on this one.

But watch them brag "We caught a Tewwowist™" anyway.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
IF this truly was a 'terrorist plan', this is gotta be the DUMBEST one yet. And if they try to tell me they need to strip search me now on my flights to LAX or HNL, its just another brick in the wall to prove the terrorists really have won.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Stupidity from a passenger:

Rich Griffith, a passenger from Pontiac, said he was seated too far in the back to see what had happened. But he said he didn't mind being detained on the plane for several hours. ''It's frustrating if you don't want to keep your country safe,'' he said. ''We can't have what's going on everywhere else happening here.''
What the heck is that statement supposed to mean and WHY does the media report such stupidity?

Sorry. Link

Last edited by doober; Dec 25, 2009 at 4:47 pm Reason: forgot to use link
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My bet is on expanded gate secondaries.

If someone can prove otherwise, I'm happy to defer, but once again an "incident" with marshals ensconced in loads 'o' F seats elsewhere.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by joelfreak
IF this truly was a 'terrorist plan', this is gotta be the DUMBEST one yet. And if they try to tell me they need to strip search me now on my flights to LAX or HNL, its just another brick in the wall to prove the terrorists really have won.
From CBS was saying, they think it was more of lone ranger type of deal.

EDIT: I find it funny that Fox isn't jumping on this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.