Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with expired id or no id

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
And if the person is properly screened and does not have any WEI just why is identity important?

Why does TSA have no answer for this question?
You already know the answer, even if you don't like it. For both the no-fly list and selected list.

Now knowing the answer does not make it a valid answer; I'm not going to argue it one way or another.

But I will ask, even though you do not like the reason TSA checks IDs, you already know the answer, so why ask that question?

Wouldn't a better question be to ask does both the selectee list and no-fly list, as they are implemented, serve a security purpose?

Not being mean,, but many of the people on this site complain that TSA does useless things, so I wonder why people ask useless questions??
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by SATTSO
You already know the answer, even if you don't like it. For both the no-fly list and selected list.

Now knowing the answer does not make it a valid answer; I'm not going to argue it one way or another.

But I will ask, even though you do not like the reason TSA checks IDs, you already know the answer, so why ask that question?

Wouldn't a better question be to ask does both the selectee list and no-fly list, as they are implemented, serve a security purpose?

Not being mean,, but many of the people on this site complain that TSA does useless things, so I wonder why people ask useless questions??
Since I've never seen a computer display or a means of reading my ID in at a ID checkpoint then how do you verify that someone is on the no-fly list unless the airlines does it for you? How does the ID make someone on the selectee list? Unless you've got a means to do that at the moat, then all you're doing is relying on the airlines to pass on that information to you in the form of SSSS on the ticket which means that TSA isn't doing the selecting.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Since I've never seen a computer display or a means of reading my ID in at a ID checkpoint then how do you verify that someone is on the no-fly list unless the airlines does it for you? How does the ID make someone on the selectee list? Unless you've got a means to do that at the moat, then all you're doing is relying on the airlines to pass on that information to you in the form of SSSS on the ticket which means that TSA isn't doing the selecting.
See now that is a better question!

btw, personally I think the ID check to match people to the selectee list is the best reason to check IDs, but this is just MY OWN opinion.

Yes , the airlines enter you info into a computer. What you may not know is that infirmation is matched to a TSA database. This function was taken over by TSA as recently as feb 14 2009. If you haven't noticed, since this date selectees have basically vanished. No more because of one way flights, or by paying cash, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:27 pm

See now that is a better question!

btw, personally I think the ID check to match people to the selectee list is the best reason to check IDs, but this is just MY OWN opinion.

Yes , the airlines enter you info into a computer. What you may not know is that infirmation is matched to a TSA database. This function was taken over by TSA as recently as feb 14 2009. If you haven't noticed, since this date selectees have basically vanished. No more because of one way flights, or by paying cash, etc.
So the airline's computer system accesses a database from TSA's computer system in order to give the okay to fly? Given recent disclosures about TSA's inability to properly secure their own documents what makes you believe that this system is secure and unhackable?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:38 pm

And if the person is properly screened and does not have any WEI just why is identity important?

Why does TSA have no answer for this question?

TSA hasn't answered the question, instead repeating that identity matters. Until the average person realizes that TSA's airport identification policies exist to protect airline revenues and to implement a system by which we restrict people's freedom of movement using Homeland Security blacklists, and that it is a system of extra-judicial punishment that allows members of the executive branch to impose punishment without the involvement of a judge or jury, I hope people continue bringing this up.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:39 pm

Sorry, forgot to quote you AngryMiller.

I'm not sure anything is unhackable.

I use online banking, I pay almost all my bills online. Credit card companies and banks have had their info stolen or lost at times. Yes, there are risk with computers.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
TSA hasn't answered the question, instead repeating that identity matters. Until the average person realizes that TSA's airport identification policies exist to protect airline revenues and to implement a system by which we restrict people's freedom of movement using Homeland Security blacklists, and that it is a system of extra-judicial punishment that allows members of the executive branch to impose punishment without the involvement of a judge or jury, I hope people continue bringing this up.
Sorry, the question has been answered. It's to match to the no-fly and selected list.

But that answer does not have to be liked; it does not have to be accepted; it may not even be the correct thing to do.

The next logical question would be to ask if those list are effective, by how much if at all, and does it provide for security?

Edit: and yes, to also ask if such list violate our rights.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:54 pm

Sorry, forgot to quote you AngryMiller.

I'm not sure anything is unhackable.

I use online banking, I pay almost all my bills online. Credit card companies and banks have had their info stolen or lost at times. Yes, there are risk with computers.
A secure network not connected to the internet in any way, using non standard communication protocols, and encrypted on the fly might be secure, but suspect that isn't a workable solution when dealing with airlines.

As to taking offense? Nope, not in the least. SATTSO, I hope you realize that the problems I have are with your agency's failure to respond to valid complaints early on. Got a very large, dull, chipped axe to grind with them on many issues. You've got a fine line to walk between saying what you want to say and what your agency would take offense to.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:56 pm

Sorry, the question has been answered. It's to match to the no-fly and selected list.

But that answer does not have to be liked; it does not have to be accepted; it may not even be the correct thing to do.

The next logical question would be to ask if those list are effective, by how much if at all, and does it provide for security?

Edit: and yes, to also ask if such list violate our rights.
If I obtain a boarding pass it means im not on any list. When I hand my ID over at the checkpoint 5 seconds later its handed back to me. All the guy does it match my name to my boarding pass. They aren't checking any lists. It's already been done.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 2P

But the TSA does NOT do that at the checkpoint. Once you walk up to the ID checker the TSO has no way to know if the name on the ID is on one of the lists you cite.

So while the given answer could arguably be valid given a different setup, it is not what the TSOs are doing when they check ID.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by u2beez
If I obtain a boarding pass it means im not on any list. When I hand my ID over at the checkpoint 5 seconds later its handed back to me. All the guy does it match my name to my boarding pass. They aren't checking any lists. It's already been done.
Partially correct. If you obtain a BP what would stop you from handing that BP over to someone who couldn't obtain it (no-fly list) or was flagged as a selected?

I admit it's not perfect. No argument there. And yes, there are flaws, no security is perfect.

And as to checking any list, that is on the way (not sure when to due date is, but it's coming!) so once that is in place, I take it you will support this procedure (ya, right!)
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
But the TSA does NOT do that at the checkpoint. Once you walk up to the ID checker the TSO has no way to know if the name on the ID is on one of the lists you cite.

So while the given answer could arguably be valid given a different setup, it is not what the TSOs are doing when they check ID.
It's on the way....
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First off I do not know the answer unless your trying to tell me that the TSA travel document checker has both the selectee and no fly list perfectly memorized since they do not refer to any printed or computerized list when checking ID's.

When I purchase a ticket and supply ID info to the airline is when I thought list matching took place.

Are you suggesting that TSA is doing list matching at the TDC podium?

So I think my original question stands!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
It's on the way....
So is the improved screening for liquids. Due in 2007, 2008, Fall 2009. Well, soon, anyway.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:54 pm

First off I do not know the answer unless your trying to tell me that the TSA travel document checker has both the selectee and no fly list perfectly memorized since they do not refer to any printed or computerized list when checking ID's.

When I purchase a ticket and supply ID info to the airline is when I thought list matching took place.

Are you suggesting that TSA is doing list matching at the TDC podium?

So I think my original question stands!
No your original question does not stand. TSA matches your name when you buy the ticket/check-in.

But yes, eventually it will be done at the TDC station, by computer.

I should explain that whY is wrong with your question is that you seem to be saying the answer has to make sense to you, or be correct (I am NOT saying the answer is not correct!).

We have all known someone who did something stupid. Let's use me for example: I came to flyertalk to help answer questions, knowing my answers would not be accepted. If someone were to am me, "if you knew your answers would not be accepted, why go there?" To which I answer, "to answer question." Then I'm told, "no, that answer is not good. You knew it wouldn't work. I want another answer." And I say, "but that's my answer, it's what I really thought and did." "no, it doesn't make sense, give me another answer..."

when does it stop? Even if my answer is wrong and not logical, did I not answer? Sure I did.

We check ID to confirm a pax against the no-fly and selected list. No, right now we do NOT confirm it again at the TDC. Maybe that does NOT make sense to you. Maybe you think it's stupid. Maybe you think it violates your rights. Even so, how would that change the fact that it's an answer?

Like I have said before, now the answer needs to be examined....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.