Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Things in checked luggage that look suspicious

Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by TSORon
Then maybe you should take the hint and pack it in your checked baggage and avoid the frustration?
Yes well believe it or not some of us have jobs where tools like tuning forks are needed and if I'm to get any work done anywhere I do actually need to have it on me. It's hardly a life threatening implement is it? Certainly a lot less life threatening than those glass bottles they sell you airside...
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I am told, but canot be 100% sure that the following will also raise suspicion and cause a manual search (disassembly and unpleasant random repacking):

peanut butter
bags of brown sugar
bags of ground coffee (maybe beans too)
brownie mix
cake mix
cake frosting in plastic cans
baking powder
cornstarch

Now you ask why would I be carrying these items - because you can't get them in Bulgaria and I wanted some comforts of home to kep me sane.
Last year we had a whole bunch of cake mix in a couple of checked bags, no TSA love note. (As for why--request from SIL. They aren't available in China.)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
What are you supposed to do if it's valuable and looks suspicious?
FedEx
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
Yes well believe it or not some of us have jobs where tools like tuning forks are needed and if I'm to get any work done anywhere I do actually need to have it on me. It's hardly a life threatening implement is it? Certainly a lot less life threatening than those glass bottles they sell you airside...
Just put it n a bin with your liquids and Jackets. If it is easily seen, they won't have to go into your back. It us probably being stopped because it looks similar to a carving fork, which is not allowed.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
So 40 lbs of dense gold is permitted, but a less dense brick or rock is not? Would a gold brick be permitted? Or a rock with some gold in it?

(And I can think of some rocks that are considered more valuable than gold)
Powered gold, not brick gold. And even that get tested.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So 40 lbs of dense gold is permitted, but a less dense brick or rock is not? Would a gold brick be permitted? Or a rock with some gold in it?

Gold *POWDER*. Pretty hard to use it as a weapon.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
It was just a suggestion. I have to have a badge, and it sets off the WTMD every single time. Its one of the hazards of the job I have, something we just have to live with. Sounds like its the same with your tunning fork.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Why am I allowed to carry a baggie full of ice cubes which melt into 10-12 oz. of dangerous water? (I like to keep my sandwich/cheese/whatever cold and am always prepared to relinquish the ice, but they always wave it on through).
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
A single bar of soap is not a problem, but if one brings those packages with 6 to 10 of them stacked and wrapped then they are most likely going to get pulled. Why would anyone want to take 10 bars of soap anyway? I'm sure there are reasons, but I cant think of any.

Gifts! People bring many things that TSA can't think of reasons for... My 15 gel candles packed in checked luggage to give as Christmas gifts for friends and employees of a hotel in French Polynesia caused quite a ruckus with TSA several years ago (back when you could watch your checked luggage being searched). They wanted to know WHY I "needed" 15 candles! Use your imagination, guys... some of us bring GIFTS when we travel!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:42 pm

May have already been mentioned, but playing cards causes consternation for the checkers.

In Vegas, I had two boxes of playing cards (each box contained 12 or 24 packs, I can't recall which) in the bottom of my backpack. Caused the security line to be shut down for over an hour and a bomb/drug sniffing dog to be brought it to confirm that the playing cards were, well, playing cards.

Another fine example of TSA buffoonery and high-tech incompetence.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:44 pm

What are you supposed to do if it's valuable and looks suspicious?
FedEx
Which will, after all, fly on the exact same plane as me, down in the cargo hold, except that I'll end up paying a couple of hundred dollars more for the privilege. Gee, thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:53 pm

Which will, after all, fly on the exact same plane as me, down in the cargo hold, except that I'll end up paying a couple of hundred dollars more for the privilege. Gee, thanks.
Taking a step back to reality....

Unless one is shipping their pet Elephant via FedEx then the cost really isnt all that bad. And if the object is valuable, precious, or has significant sentimental value to you then what are a few bucks?

Your welcome.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:05 pm

Unless one is shipping their pet Elephant via FedEx then the cost really isnt all that bad. And if the object is valuable, precious, or has significant sentimental value to you then what are a few bucks?
As with many things TSA-related ... it's the principle of the thing.

Need a beverage? Buy bottled water for $0.50 at home, or for $4 inside the checkpoint, because you can't bring that bottle of water through.

Need to eat? I can make a sack lunch at home for a couple of bucks, or I can spend $8 for the same lousy meal inside the checkpoint ... because TSA won't let me bring my yogurt through.

Need to bring your personal items with you on your trip? Spend extra money to ship them FedEx, because you can't possibly just stick the thing in your pocket. Or, spend $25 to check a bag, and hope they actually get there, since TSA rules have the net effect of discouraging passengers from securing their bags for themselves, and petty thieves in both the airlines and the TSA can take stuff while blaming the other agency for the security hole.

And, of course, I get to pay $2.50/segment for the privilege of having a perfect stranger tell me what I can do with all of my personal items, especially since TSA can't/won't tell me what the rules are when I'm packing.

It's not like everyone who flies is made of money. Most of the time when I'm flying, I'm doing it for business, and I don't get reimbursed for all that other crud along the way. So all these rules take money out of my pocket. And I resent that.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
From another thread I just learned a few interesting things that look suspicious on the x-ray and will most likely trigger a manual search of your checked luggage.

The examples were:

- Piles of books
- large quantities of chocolate
- canned fruits
- peanut butter or jam jars
- anything the x-ray cannot easily see through
- boxes with metal objects and many cables

What other things throw the red flag?

I now know why recently my bag was searched. I had packed a 1lb glass container of homemade jam inside a double-walled steel tea pot. This was cradled in a boxy arrangement of books I had packed in this particular way to protect the tea pot's spout. And I thought that was smart.

So if we know what looks suspicious we can avoid this or pack it differently.

Till

Try these images from dual-energy X-ray systems that try to identify materials http://www.vidisco.com/DualXray.asp. It shows weakness in regular x-ray as compared to that vendor's dual-energy system. Especially interesting is the similarly-orange book+TNT image and the test pattern image with sugar and salt.

Another vendor's examples show dual-energy material identification system weaknesses as compared to Z(eff) systems.

I know TSA's policies aren't really aimed at smart terrorists, but the boogey-man would buy, rent, or borrow equipment similar to the target system (Was Britney's x-ray a Rapiscan 620DV as in Bob's post?) and make something that looks the same on screen as a book.

Take a look at Rapiscan's 620DV sales brochure and think about what level of sneakiness would get past you after looking at just 20 passengers worth of bags. A 5-lb bag of sugar might get noticed, but a sugar-filled book would be just another book. Snow globes probably look enough like a Bullwinkle-cartoon hush-a-bomb to cause a panic.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:41 pm

Powered gold, not brick gold. And even that get tested.
Well Ron, that is better than your usual average as you actually tried to answer one of the three questions posed.

Though I am not sure what "powered" gold is, I will assume you meant powdered gold. If I place that powdered gold in a metal non-prohibited container, I am sure that it would be an even more lethal weapon than a brick or rock due to its density, but I guess that it is permitted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.