Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Editorial: Traveling while Muslim

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Editorial: Traveling while Muslim

Traveling while Muslim

By Helen Anders
November 10, 2009

My friend Marium Mohiuddin wrote this piece on this morning’s op-ed page while she was in D.C. over the weekend attending a Muslim spiritual conference. It was the Muslim equivalent of a Bible study retreat — an intensive look at the Quran, with several top scholars as speakers.

She flew home to Dallas, opened her checked bag and found the generic “We looked through your bag” card that TSA leaves when it goes through a bag. I get them fairly frequently myself. But along with that, Marium found some things missing: Every bit of literature, every memento and every workbook she’d completed at the Muslim workshop. It was all gone.
Linkage
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“What I hate most is that I lost the notes I made,” Marium told me on the phone yesterday. “The conference was just study — nothing controversial at all.”
OK, TSA -- spin this one. I dare you.

What annoys me the most is that the victim felt compelled to assure the American public that her notes contained "nothing controversial."

I am completely tired of people in this country being afraid to freely practice their religion (or not practice it).

As a matter of fact, this theft makes me infinitely more mad than a screener stealing an iPod.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Incredible. On one hand, TSA allows its personnel to rifle through passenger luggage and confiscate Islamic religious materials that pose no threat to the country whatsoever, and on the other hand, US Army officers who thought that the FT Hood shooter might pose a danger because of his extremist Islamic views were reluctant to report his behavior because of fear of being accused of harrassment.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If any evidence is available that would show a TSA employee removed belongings from this persons luggage then they should be charged with theft and let the justice system take over.

If what was removed was not WEI then TSA needs some leadership changes because the ones in charge now aren't getting the job done.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by halls120
Incredible. On one hand, TSA allows its personnel to rifle through passenger luggage and confiscate Islamic religious materials that pose no threat to the country whatsoever, and on the other hand, US Army officers who thought that the FT Hood shooter might pose a danger because of his extremist Islamic views were reluctant to report his behavior because of fear of being accused of harrassment.
The difference is that those on the DOD payroll potentially face far more accountability for wrongful actions than those on the DHS-TSA payroll. Accountability at DHS is a joke, in comparison.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If any evidence is available that would show a TSA employee removed belongings from this persons luggage then they should be charged with theft and let the justice system take over.

If what was removed was not WEI then TSA needs some leadership changes because the ones in charge now aren't getting the job done.
The woman stated in the article that she had a TSA love note in her suitcase when she got home. Sounds like evidence to me...
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
shame on the tsa but afaic, it's just another example of fwb/fwm* (and yeah, like FliesWay2Much, i'd like to the see the tsa spin on this)

*flying while brown/flying while muslim
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:34 pm

Actually, what bothers me most is the implication that Ms. Mohiuddin stopped wearing a head scarf because of her experiences with security.

Marium is used to the post-9/11 rigors of traveling while Muslim. When she wore a head scarf in past years, she was accustomed to undergoing secondary screening. Her sister had secondary screening on her way home from the conference (traveling separately from Marium) and also lost the materials out of her checked bag. Both women used to wear head scarves and say they encountered a lot more secondary screenings when they did.
It is horrible and unacceptable that Ms. Mohiuddin's study materials were lost or taken from her. (My hope is the former, as it opens up a small chance she might be able to retrieve the materials if she pursues the issue.) It is even worse, in my opinion, if someone, anyone, gives up an element of cultural or religious practice which has nothing to do with the security of the flight because security screening has made the practice too much of a hassle.

Ms. Mohiuddin's piece was also an excellent statement about societal views of Islam and Muslims in the US. Well worth reading.
http://www.statesman.com/opinion/con...rium_edit.html
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:55 pm

Where are you SATTSO and TSORon?

I find it interesting that none of the regular FT TSAers have posted on this thread. Could it possibly be that they can find nothing to defend here?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The woman stated in the article that she had a TSA love note in her suitcase when she got home. Sounds like evidence to me...
The note proves TSA was in her bags but proving who took something out is another matter.

That is exactly why all checked baggage should be screened while the owner observes then the bag secured in some manner to prevent tampering.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:52 am

Programs: DL,EK
The article says her sister's notes were taken too. Surely not a coincidence.

I know when I have had secondary, they have gone through my phone (which has an Arabic keypad as it was purchased in the Mid East)... they almost always ask me about every Arab name in my phone.

I have done some testing and whenever I have used my UAE drivers license as ID, I get secondary about 80% of the time. When I use my US drivers license, I have never had secondary.

Maybe next time I'll toss an Arabic newspaper in my bag.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
The article says her sister's notes were taken too. Surely not a coincidence.

I know when I have had secondary, they have gone through my phone (which has an Arabic keypad as it was purchased in the Mid East)... they almost always ask me about every Arab name in my phone.

I have done some testing and whenever I have used my UAE drivers license as ID, I get secondary about 80% of the time. When I use my US drivers license, I have never had secondary.

A foreign driving license may be the reason to be sent to secondary screening in the US -- it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the driving license being from an Arab country but it may have much to do with the TSA training that doesn't have them comfortable with most foreign driving licenses.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A foreign driving license may be the reason to be sent to secondary screening in the US.
I'm surprised that a foreign DL would be considered as valid ID for anyone for an internal flight in the US.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesertNomad

TSA screeners search the contents of your cell phone and interrogate you at a domestic U.S. airport checkpoint? Whoa! That's way out of bounds!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by alanR
I'm surprised that a foreign DL would be considered as valid ID for anyone for an internal flight in the US.
Well, I am American, but have been living overseas for 8 years. My UAE driving license is the one I use everywhere. I have an old US one, but normally don't carry it as it is not valid where I live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.