Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen liquids at the checkpoint experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Sounds like you may need to get some string and make a frozen shampoo necklace.
Maybe an ammo belt with frozen bottles in each pouch. The string might be mistaken for a fuse.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Of course, it is the TSA slowing things down, right?
Yes it is.

If the TSA let the passengers use the same technology that screens the bottles of water at Hudson News, then things would go a lot faster at the checkpoint.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:36 am

How about wheeling through an ice sculpture of a carry-on bag with your belongings frozen inside it?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
The TSA web site now says:

Is frozen shampoo ice?

PHP Code:
Frozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptionsIce is permitted as long as there is no melted liquid present

By my reading the discussion of ice being permitted is limited to travelers with special needs.

I think TSA is blowing smoke on this.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Cooler heads prevail up North of the border? ^
On some things.. the TSA will let me bring my zippo onto a plane. CATSA "made me surrender" my zippo..

They have the same 3-1-1 rules, and afew other annoyances.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
By my reading the discussion of ice being permitted is limited to travelers with special needs.
But then the argument that the LAX screeners were following the rules when they let Britney through the checkpoint with her cup of ice falls apart.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
But then the argument that the LAX screeners were following the rules when they let Britney through the checkpoint with her cup of ice falls apart.
I am confidentt that the LA screeners did not follow the rules in the BS screening.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:16 am

I am confidentt that the LA screeners did not follow the rules in the BS screening.
But Blogger Bob said they did. Isn't that good enough for you?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Sorry, but a bottle of shampoo still looks like a bottle, which normally contains liquids. Also, this time the bottle was on the outside of the bag. The only logical explanation is the obvious one - they missed it, as they do more than half the time when tested independently.
Sure a bottle looks like a bottle. I'm saying that maybe the frozen liquid doesn't look like liquid.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PHP Code:
Frozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptionsIce is permitted as long as there is no melted liquid present

I think TSA is blowing smoke on this.
That's how I read it, also--you can bring ice to cool medical things. Think of diabetics and insulin.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
That's how I read it, also--you can bring ice to cool medical things. Think of diabetics and insulin.
I absolutely agree that certain people have needs that must be met. Mr Gel Pack or a person transporting insulin or other medicines that must be cooled are good examples. These people have been accommodated all along, at least by SOP not always in practice, and rightfully so.

The problem is that PV, Blogdad Bob or other TSA authority is saying ice is acceptable for all yet will not disclose anything official that states such.

From my perspective they are not being truthful in this matter.

This practice leaves the traveler at the mercy of a checkpoint TSA employee and with no recourse should a decision seem out of line with current known policy.

Not having a published policy for travelers is just wrong.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn
On some things.. the TSA will let me bring my zippo onto a plane. CATSA "made me surrender" my zippo..

They have the same 3-1-1 rules, and afew other annoyances.
Zippos are allowed.

Torch lighters are not permitted.

When was your zippo "surrendered"?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:55 am

I absolutely agree that certain people have needs that must be met. Mr Gel Pack or a person transporting insulin or other medicines that must be cooled are good examples. These people have been accommodated all along, at least by SOP not always in practice, and rightfully so.

The problem is that PV, Blogdad Bob or other TSA authority is saying ice is acceptable for all yet will not disclose anything official that states such.

From my perspective they are not being truthful in this matter.

This practice leaves the traveler at the mercy of a checkpoint TSA employee and with no recourse should a decision seem out of line with current known policy.

Not having a published policy for travelers is just wrong.
Yep. In his 'clarifying' post Bob says:

Her cup had a few ice chips in it, not liquid. Ice is a solid. Therefore, ice is permitted through the checkpoint, as long as it's screened by the X-ray (Which it was).

...and...

Ice and other frozen solid liquids are permitted as long as they’re frozen solid and X-ray screened.
IOW: Ice ain't a liquid. No opening or test stripping needed, just an x-ray like the rest of your baggage.

As far as anything official goes, the PV web page and the blog aren't worth the paper they aren't printed on. You are at the mercy of the potentially bad-apple TSOs and whatever rule they try to make up and enforce on your [belongings].
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Mr. Gel-pack
Yep. In his 'clarifying' post Bob says:

IOW: Ice ain't a liquid. No opening or test stripping needed, just an x-ray like the rest of your baggage.

As far as anything official goes, the PV web page and the blog aren't worth the paper they aren't printed on. You are at the mercy of the potentially bad-apple TSOs and whatever rule they try to make up and enforce on your [belongings].
Yes, we have one TSO who posts on this forum who has already said that Bob was flat-out wrong.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Yes, we have one TSO who posts on this forum who has already said that Bob was flat-out wrong.
Well, what some dude posted on some Flyertalk forum would probable be even less dispositive than the fluff PV on the web with a http://www.tsa.gov/...

They think it is simple to "use common sense" and "just follow the rules", but when their rules are secret, conflicting, and nonsensical, it gets complicated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.