Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 27, 09, 12:08 pm   #1

Clear care contact solution banned?

I was returning to LGA from Charlottesville, VA yesterday and the folks at security took my "Clear Care" contact lens solution even though it was the appropriate size. I was informed that that specific brand was not allowed because it did something to the explosive detection machines?

I had to dump the few new travel size bottles i had purchased (b/c they were cheaper than in NYC). Checking my bag in - my other option, would cost me $25.

Looking on the TSA website I cannot find anything about this brand not being allowed. Was I duped? Not sure if i should fault the manufacturer for having a sticker on the box with an airplane picture saying "Travel size" or if this is something the airport made up?
Has anyone else had this problem??

Thanks!
T
Tamcalinyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 09, 1:14 pm   #2
Moderator: Information Desk, Travel Safety/Security forum & Women Travelers

Programs: DL, AA
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Tamcalinnyc.

From reports in this thread, the hydrogen peroxide in Clear Care is a problem.

If less than 100ml, in a zip-loc bag, the bottle probably won't be tested & you can get through security with it. However, when carrying a larger bottle under the medical exemption, the liquid will be tested (open the cap, hold a test strip over it). The hydrogen peroxide may cause the test strip to react and you will not be allowed to carry the solution through.
scoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 09, 1:18 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamcalinyc View Post
I was returning to LGA from Charlottesville, VA yesterday and the folks at security took my "Clear Care" contact lens solution even though it was the appropriate size.
When you say "appropriate size" do you mean they were each 3.4 oz or less and all of them were in your one quart baggie?
Old Oct 28, 09, 9:09 am   #4

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Delta Kettle, Hertz #1 Prez, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I got back Sunday night, flying AMM-JFK-SLC. I had 2 of the 3.4oz bottles of Clear Care in my carryon. No issues at all. CC is the product that my ophthalmologist has told me to use. It would be a giant PITA if I have to find a local store to buy CC everywhere I go. That's just if I go US-CAN. Going overseas, it's a whole different ballgame. If TSA wants to deny CC, they need to spell it out. I know, I know, I'm dreaming...
slidergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 09, 1:19 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I have never had a problem with getting Clear Care solutions through TSA. I usually buy the travel size one, as well as having put it into a travel container for solutions.

Hydrogen peroxide (3%) is the reactive agent and will set off the chemical detector, but frankly common sense would suggest that a new unopened bottle would not be tampered with and therefor safe for travel.
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 09, 1:58 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
Hydrogen peroxide (3%) is the reactive agent and will set off the chemical detector, but frankly common sense would suggest that a new unopened bottle would not be tampered with and therefor safe for travel.
First of all, "common sense" and the TSA are mutually exclusive.

Second, the TSA doesn't care about bottles that don't appear to be tampered. Otherwise, there would be plenty of unopened bottles of water that would go through.

The TSA checks all the liquids that merchants sell, but somehow us passengers are not able to have the chance of getting the same screening as the for-profit folks do.
LessO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 09, 2:36 pm   #7

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
First of all, "common sense" and the TSA are mutually exclusive.

Second, the TSA doesn't care about bottles that don't appear to be tampered. Otherwise, there would be plenty of unopened bottles of water that would go through.

The TSA checks all the liquids that merchants sell, but somehow us passengers are not able to have the chance of getting the same screening as the for-profit folks do.
I agree with what you said, and is why I added the common sense part.
neuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 4:22 am   #8

Programs: UA-1K AA-EXP
I just had my Clear Care taken by TSA at DEN last night (December 9). It was a travel-size bottle in the proper plastic bag. It passed with no problem the day before at BWI, and I had taken it many times before.

This is not the first time it's been pulled aside for testing, but it is the first time that I was told that I could not take it.

I don't know this for sure, but I think I made it through BWI with no problem because the bottle was factory sealed and the bag was new. Going home, the bottle may have leaked a little in the bag and/or the outside of the bag had some residue. I am thinking that a slight leak might have set off a sniffer in the x-ray machine that made the TSA look closer at my stuff and flag the Clear Care.

I am going to search for more info in Clear Care and TSA, and will post if I find anything.
coolcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 6:42 am   #9
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles and Travel with Pets

Clear Care and it's predecessor Aosept have never been an issue in approved travel size bottles. My ophthalmologist also has instructed me to use this product and you should be allowed to carry it.

This is absolute nonsense and I would demand to see something in writing prohibiting this from the TSA if you encounter an agent that attempts to take it away from you.
RSSrsvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 6:55 am   #10

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
With all the non-weapons that TSA is siezing under their administrative search, there might be an opportunity for a creative lawyer to push a takings lawsuit out there somewhere.
Old Dec 10, 10, 7:05 am   #11

I'm in the same boat...i actually asked my eye doc for a plan b solution to carry in case they take the CC.

I was considering steaming the label off the little travel size clear care bottles and replacing it with something generic i printed to avoid the scrutiny of it.
jampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 7:51 am   #12

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Doesn't the fact that it's "medically necessary" override the fact that it contains hydrogen peroxide? Is the TSA going to start to play Surgeon General soon?
Tucker501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 10, 8:15 am   #13
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Tim of the TSA blog team actually answered a question about clear care. Note that I am cutting and pasting, I totally think it's silly they would even check it based on the label of clear care, yet you can fill generic bottles with anything you want and they don't even look

RB said…
“If I have a 4 ounce bottle of "Clear Care" brand contact lens solution will it be cleared at screening? What if the same "Clear Care" contact lens solution is only 3 ounces?”

The four ounce bottle will receive additional screening in order to clear screening. Will it make it through? That question is a case by case that depends on test results, and a slue of other factors that can be present at the checkpoint.

If the bottle is under or is 3.4 ounces, the bottle receives x-ray screening, and is still subject to additional screening. For the average passenger, x-ray screening will be the norm. Again, it is a case by case.

While they are not saying it will be taken, they are most certainly not saying it will just breeze through.

I have had travel sized bottles of it taken and just stopped carrying it as I don't need it that often.

They go on to address it several more times in the blog posts, as people kept pushing them

RB said...
“The question dealt with "Clear Care" brand contact lens solution. Will it be permitted or not? Seems an easy question.”

The answer is the same for all brands. There are no guarantees it will pass. If it was guaranteed to pass, then there would be no need for secondary screening for these types of items. Anything that does not pass secondary screening is not permitted to enter the sterile area.

It will be permitted, except when a liquid (in this case "Clear Care") alarms the test for explosives on multiple tests, it will not be allowed past the checkpoint.

From their summer travel tips page http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/05/tsa-2010...avel-tips.html

An Optometrist was asked on his page why it is taken (it's actually taken quite a bit it seems) and he replied

Well, I love good security. I applaud the efforts of TSA and others to keep us safe. BUT, it takes somewhere around 20%-30% peroxide to begin to create an explosion, and even then a little online research shows that the prospects of making a viable bomb are remote. I think our little bottle of Clear Care is quite safe, thank you very much!

and recommends two things. First don't try to hide it, if caught they will think you are smuggling explosives on, and second, if you don't want the hassles, consider one of the alternatives like OptiFree Replenish instead.

Though if you are like me, once you have tried clear care, you probably won't use anything else.

Oh, one hint I picked up along the way. Don't put the case you use the clear care in when cleaning your lens in the baggie. A friendly TSO once told me if they see the case in the baggie, they know the clear care is there and will look for it. Leave the case in the carry on and there is less chance of them realizing you may have clear care.

Don't know if that's true or not, but makes sense to me.
Old Dec 10, 10, 8:19 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
... but frankly common sense would suggest that a new unopened bottle would not be tampered with and therefor safe for travel.
You have obviously never watched Locked Up Abroad if you think that the tamper seal means anything.
Old Dec 10, 10, 8:38 am   #15

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
So what if you spill some on your hands or clothing? You won't be permitted into the sterile area?