Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Clear Care contact lens solution banned by TSA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clear Care contact lens solution banned by TSA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:22 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ljwobker
I had my unopened bottle of clear care rejected this morning by TSA at RDU. The agent (who was quite polite) said that I was not allowed to carry on contact solution with "a red cap of any size". She said "the other kinds are OK".

To the extent that it matters:
* This bottle was still in the manufacturer's seal
* the bottle was larger than 3oz.
* the agent didn't run any kind of test on the contents, just rejected it based on appearance.
* I've carried on this exact bottle size/type a number of times before without it being noticed/rejected.
* I've carried smaller (3oz) bottles hundreds of times with no problem.

So my analysis here is:

* at least some TSA personnel have been briefed that "red caps" are a problem.
* screening procedures are wildly inconsistent (as if I needed to say that...)
Let's all write to Clear Care to have them change the color of the cap.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Guess I'm in trouble with my Tylenol.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
From the How to Use CLEAR CAREŽ and CLEAR CAREŽ PLUS Solutions webpage:
RED CAP ALERT!
That red cap means you should never put
CLEAR CAREŽ or CLEAR CAREŽ PLUS Solution
directly in or around your eyes. Seriously,
DON’T DO IT!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Thanks for bringing this back into focus. Cleaning solution is completely different from the soaking solution in which you soak contact lenses. Anyone who puts a contact lens soaked with H2O2 in any concentration in their eye has a lot more problems than the TSA. (Disclaimer: I tried to wear gas-permeable lenses back in the mid-1980s without success.)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:33 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I guess I needed to put a smiley face after my comment about changing the red cap. As a Clear Care user I am well aware of the reason for the red cap.

That being said, the ridiculousness of Clear Care not being allowed by TSA is a serious matter. I wear hybrid contact lenses and have to use Clear Care. So that means I cannot wear my contact lenses when I travel and have to hope that my checked luggage (containing my TSA-carry-on-prohibited Clear Care) never gets lost. My vision with glasses is really bad. When will TSA join the rest of the world? I have no problem traveling anywhere else with Clear Care.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:24 pm

Welp, lost a (12oz) bottle of this at a large tourist destination airport in SW USA today to TSA. They didn't even swab it. By claiming to uniformly seize this, they've gone from "discretion" (which they're allowed to have) to rulemaking (which is outside their scope).

Thankfully this was on my way back, so not too big of a loss.

Has anyone ever had this swabbed and had it alarm? Has always been clear sailing after swabbing for me in Canada/US until today's immediate seizure. Is there any point in asking for a supervisor in the future?

I can confirm writing in a complaint is pointless.

Last edited by tecate55; Feb 19, 2024 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.