Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel insurance that would cover terrorism?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Travel insurance that would cover terrorism?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I have a trip planned for next Feb. 2010 that involves flying to Cambodia, Laos, and home to the US from Bangkok. We were sucked into the BKK fiasco last Nov. and stranded in Phuket, Thailand for 6 days. The travel insurance I had, Travelguard, had told me on the phone that expenses would be covered but after I turned in the claim they denied it. Only after I got my state AG involved did they pay.

So I'm looking for a policy available to US citizens that would cover expenses for a delay/interruption/cancellation if the same incident were to happen again. Looking at the political situation in Thailand from afar it appears that it is highly likely as the PAD achieved their goal, the ouster of the PM. I thought I found a policy with AccessAmerica, but it doesn't cover financial default of CX, JL, or Bangkok Airways, which are the airlines I'm using.

Any suggestions of companies that cover such a situation?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
I use CSA. While I've never had as extensive a problem as yours, several relatives have had illness/interruption problems handled well by them in the past decade. I've always found them easy to work with.

Began using them 15-20 years ago, per field officer recommendations when I worked in development. Our then travel agent(s) liked them too. That was awhile ago, but they're still in business.

Sounds like a fascinating trip—good luck!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
I looked at CSA using insuremytrip.com. They are on the high side of the companies I'm looking at. So far, Travelex comes as close as I can get with coverage for financial default of the airlines I'm using and a vague description of terrorism that could be applied to civil unrest if someone were to get killed (like what happened in Nov. 2008 at BKK)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.