FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   mousse in carry on? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/993396-mousse-carry.html)

adgtravel Sep 9, 2009 3:33 pm

mousse in carry on?

Does anyone know if mousse is considered a liquid, gel, or lotion? I am only taking a carry on and my mousse is 6oz. Will I get to take it on plane? Thanks

worldexpress Sep 9, 2009 4:05 pm

if the container is larger than 3 oz., it will be confiscated. you're not going to win the argument with the tsa, no matter how you see or justify the composition of the substance.

remember 5th grade chemistry? does it fall under liquid, solid or gas?

StayingHomeIsBetter Sep 9, 2009 8:22 pm

I believe TSA applies a criterion of "If you can pour it or spread it, its a liquid."

slippahs Sep 9, 2009 10:59 pm

Let's move this to TravelBuzz since it doesn't deal specifically with the WorldPerks program.

Thanks,
slippahs
nwa forum co-moderator

Tinkerer Sep 13, 2009 10:17 pm

Good news is you can take mousse with you in your carry-on. Frizz-Ease makes 2 oz cans that I've successfully taken through TSA in many airports. Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Target tend to stock them in their travel section -- it's also available online.

Have a great flight!

TSORon Sep 14, 2009 4:46 am

Originally Posted by adgtravel (Post 12355527)
Does anyone know if mousse is considered a liquid, gel, or lotion? I am only taking a carry on and my mousse is 6oz. Will I get to take it on plane? Thanks

Most mousse comes in an aerosol can of one type or another. It is a liquid in the can and therefore falls under the liquid restrictions. 3.4 ounces or 100 ml.

yyzvoyageur Sep 14, 2009 8:13 am

Just leave it in your bag. If they find it: "Ooops, I forgot about that." If not, no harm done.

Crazyace718 Sep 14, 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur (Post 12377329)
Just leave it in your bag. If they find it: "Ooops, I forgot about that." If not, no harm done.

:td: The absolute worst advice you can take....

yyzvoyageur Sep 14, 2009 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Crazyace718 (Post 12377416)
:td: The absolute worst advice you can take....

Why?

AngryMiller Sep 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur (Post 12377433)
Why?

TSA is considering fining folks for bringing liquids past the checkpoint. In part this is because too many folks have successfully bypassed the confiscation of liquids at the checkpoints. Can't have the passengers getting one over on TSA.:td::td::td::rolleyes:

polonius Sep 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Oh, MOUSSE in carry-on -- I thought it was MOUSE in carry-on, in which case I was going to advise you, DEFINITLY, pack your mouse! And put him in a little arab head-dress, with little mouse-sized arabic flash cards! The TSA will LOVE this, guaranteed!

HawaiiTrvlr Sep 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I travelled a few weeks ago and put my zip lock bag through the screening. The remaining items stayed in my carryon. The screener said my shaving cream (less then 3 ozs) wasnt in my baggie like it should have. I thought it was just liquids that went in baggie. He said aerosols too and let me go. Didnt confiscate it or anything and I went to my gate.

TSORon Sep 15, 2009 4:46 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr (Post 12381306)
I travelled a few weeks ago and put my zip lock bag through the screening. The remaining items stayed in my carryon. The screener said my shaving cream (less then 3 ozs) wasnt in my baggie like it should have. I thought it was just liquids that went in baggie. He said aerosols too and let me go. Didnt confiscate it or anything and I went to my gate.

Liquids, pastes, gel's, aerosols, and lotions, are the general categories.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Sep 15, 2009 5:04 am

my initial thought was you could always just eat it... then i realised you meant HAIR mousse :p

gobluetwo Sep 15, 2009 7:52 am

You should refer to the thread about trying to get the giant stuffed koala on a plane. Oh, not that kind of moose? ;)