Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Obama appoints Errol Southers to head the TSA

Today's New York Times:

AP Source: Obama Wants Former FBI Agent to Run TSA

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 7, 2009
Filed at 2:30 p.m. ET

More Politics NewsWASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration plans to pick a former FBI special agent to head the federal agency charged with keeping terrorists off airplanes.

According to a Capitol Hill aide, the administration intends to nominate Erroll Southers to be the fifth man to run the Transportation Security Administration. The agency was formed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement has not been made.

The TSA is best known for airport security, which includes screening passengers and luggage for dangerous materials.

Southers currently teaches at the University of Southern California. A former police detective, he was deputy director of California's homeland security office, overseeing counterterrorism policies.
Errol's Background:

How many students at USC can say their professor was a former FBI special agent? ...

"I lived in that world where the CIA, FBI, customs, and police didn’t share information and were extremely competitive with each other—it was a big mistake," Southers says. Southers worked four years for the FBI—three of those years as a member of SWAT— completing 41 missions all over the U.S.

"I worked two undercover operations," Southers says. "I had a few exotic cars in my driveway, including a 1961 show Corvette. I came and went in all kinds of hours of the night. I think my neighbors thought I was a drug dealer!"

He was also a Santa Monica Police Department detective, where his experience qualifies him to be a gang and security expert witness, and a member of the Rio Hondo Police Academy...

Since 2003, Southers has taught a master’s-level "Homeland Security and Public Policy" class, which is structured on the contemporary discourse of terrorism post-September 11.

Southers did not know when he arrived at Brown University that he would be spending the next 30 years in law enforcement. He completed his pre-med studies and was in his first semester of medical school when he decided to pursue another career path.

"One thing I know about myself is what I like to do," he says. "I keep saying that one day I’m going to have to get a job because I’m having too much fun. I’ve never had a dull moment."...

"I’m not paranoid and I’m not a fear monger, but I am a realist and I know what the threats are," Southers says. "If you think about it, the better prepared we are to respond to an earthquake, the better we will be able to mitigate a terrorist attack or recover from a natural disaster."

Southers believes in the importance of educating students about terrorism. "Terrorism engages every discipline: sociology, education, physics, engineering," he says. "It doesn’t call for a military solution. It’s an interdisciplinary solution. As globalization increases, terrorism will not be confined to any one region or country. If you ask me whether we’ll see a suicide bomber from the United States in the future, the answer is yes, I think we will."

Southers’s background in counter-terrorism study in Israel, at the invitation of the ministry of foreign affairs, has made him a reputable source in counter-terrorism education. He returned to Israel in December for an International Consequence Management Seminar hosted by the Israeli Defense Force’s Home Front Command’s Civil Defense School.

"Until you go to the Middle East and see what it’s like to live day to day, you don’t know the full impact," Southers says. "We are very lucky. Every business there, with rare exceptions, has a security officer who’s armed—banks, cafes, McDonald’s. It’s an eye opener."

Southers is currently developing a certificate program, “Executive Program in Counter-Terrorism” that will unite six nations in combating terrorism beginning in August 2007.
Looks like his fun just stopped.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:29 pm

Does he have any management credentials to run a 40,000+ agency?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:32 pm

So is he going to be good or bad?

I can't find any good pictures of him so someone else will have to start making up his nickname. He does have ears that stick out like Obama's though.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
He might have good intentions, but suspect that he'll be undermined by the existing staff beginning on day one. His best bet is to ask for resignations from his entire staff, accept some and tear up others.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I sure hope he's not an idiot.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
A keynote address given by him.

Willing to give him some time to correct the mess that is TSA. Six months tops.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Does he have any management credentials to run a 40,000+ agency?
No, and also unlikely to have the cojones and hard heart needed to fire 60+% of the management staff that need to be shown the door in order to undermine the existing culture which is in need of a 180.

Maybe he read "From Good to Great" - who knows....but I'm not holding my breath that any substantiative change is coming, much less from an Administration that is all talk and all failure.

"Change I could believe in" would have come in the form of two temporary co-managers - one to handle culture and organizational direction and the other to focus on security policy and procedures in preparation for a major shift towards TSA as a policy agency under DOT and screeners/personnel/HR as a private-contract or local issue.

This guy sounds too much like Kip "We're at war!! They're going to kill us all!!" Hawley.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: CO/DL
"I’m not paranoid and I’m not a fear monger, but I am a realist".

I hope thats an accurate statement he made.

Lets hope this guy does some house cleaning esp in the uppermanagment ranks and does some wholesale firings.

I am willing to wait a short period of time and give the guy a chance, lets just hope that we do not end up with another "kippie" or worse yet the one who was originally in charge of TSA from day one, dont remember his name, but he was an ex-secret service agent who apparently came up with some of the TSA crap that still exists to this day. He was replaced by Admiral Loy.

I wonder what type of mood "Gale" is in right now? and where she will go, hopefully to the unemployment line with 40,000 smurfs to shortly follow^

Anyone guess why the President picked Mr Southers when TSORon was available

Last edited by RoadVeteran; Aug 7, 2009 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot

Looks like his fun just stopped.
I wonder who he pissed off.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gj83
So is he going to be good or bad?

I can't find any good pictures of him so someone else will have to start making up his nickname. He does have ears that stick out like Obama's though.
Beat me to it -- I think we should have a contest to come up with a nickname. It will be a good use of the period of time during his confirmation process. We will be ready to hit the ground running before he says, "So help me, God."
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Beat me to it -- I think we should have a contest to come up with a nickname. It will be a good use of the period of time during his confirmation process. We will be ready to hit the ground running before he says, "So help me, God."
With a name like Errol who needs a nickname though? We could just call him Error. That's a little easier to say anyway.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:27 pm

How about calling him "Scare Y'all?"
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope this guy is smart enough to stay away from the koolaide before some current staffers slips him a mickey.

I really think that what TSA needs is not another person with Law Enforcement as a background. Travelers are not criminals and resent being treated as such.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I hope this guy is smart enough to stay away from the koolaide before some current staffers slips him a mickey.

I really think that what TSA needs is not another person with Law Enforcement as a background. Travelers are not criminals and resent being treated as such.
How about someone from the entertainment world- maybe Stephen Colbert?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:40 pm

Somebody tie up ErrollSouthersisanidiot.com I can't right now because I am flat until payday. (Diapers are expensive)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.