Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Superguy
I think it also gives a good precedent for the $4700 case.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

It is only a District Court case, and TSA will likely want to appeal. If I was DHS OGC, I'd counsel against an appeal, because if they lose, it will have broader impact. That said, the timing couldn't be better, as DHS has to deal with the ACLU lawsuit as well.

Also, as another poster has noted, it does signal this court's "unwillingness to accept TSA's "anything for security" rationale for its unconstitutional acts."

I'm hoping they do appeal, and we get chance to get a decision contrary to the Davis case from the Ninth Circuit. Ready made for the SC....
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
not me. not one bit. every employee has the right to question something if they don't think it is right. the "i was just following orders" as noted by AngryMiller below, doesn't cut it with me
This should give screeners pause for concern as the balance has tentatively shifted.

As pointed out before, no TSO is going to receive a written reprimand or worse for failing to report a non-aviation item to an LEO. For the same reason that the TSA is not giving rewards for finding these type of items, the TSA is not able to discipline TSO's for failing to find and report them.

TSO's should really consider disregarding those items in the future so they are not faced with this type of situation. I don't envision negative repercussions ignoring them.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Very good news indeed.

Originally Posted by halls120
Also, as another poster has noted, it does signal this court's "unwillingness to accept TSA's "anything for security" rationale for its unconstitutional acts."
I haven't read the whole ruling, just PTravel's excerpts (thanks!), but I think the most significant line is the final one:

In other words, the need for heightened security does not render every conceivable checkpoint search procedure constitutionally reasonable.
^^^

I'm tucking that one away as the answer to the TSA's insistent claim of "by entering the checkpoint you've agreed to submit to anything we feel like doing."
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:29 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Is this a smack at Francine? If so, her name as "Francine the Googling lawyer" will be forever etched.
Why is she called that?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
Why is she called that?
It stems from this post by Francine on the TSA blog. http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/08/furt...ue-on-ids.html
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Very good news indeed.

I haven't read the whole ruling, just PTravel's excerpts (thanks!), but I think the most significant line is the final one:

^^^

I'm tucking that one away as the answer to the TSA's insistent claim of "by entering the checkpoint you've agreed to submit to anything we feel like doing."

Anyone who would like a copy of the decision, PM me.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
I'm rather surprised that none of the shills for TSA have dropped by to say anything about this decision since it will effect the screening process.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
I'm rather surprised that none of the shills for TSA have dropped by to say anything about this decision since it will effect the screening process.
Good question. Perhaps TSA has put a gag order out.

I do know that this case and the ACLU case have raised eyebrows at DHS HQ at the way TSA is running their shop.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:03 am
Suspended

I do know that this case and the ACLU case have raised eyebrows at DHS HQ at the way TSA is running their shop.
Excellent news!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me

Oh right, no-one at the parent agency, DHS, knew that TSA, being given the right to perform unlimited administrative searches, clearly and continuously, as a matter of policy even, transformed these administrative searches into criminal ones. (Of course I don't doubt DHS are rehearsing that position, to leave TSA twisting in the wind.) Whether the upcoming smackdown gets TSA only, or spreads to DHS as well, doesn't matter. Either way, its satisfying and very enjoyable to watch.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Oh right, no-one at the parent agency, DHS, knew that TSA, being given the right to perform unlimited administrative searches, clearly and continuously, as a matter of policy even, transformed these administrative searches into criminal ones. (Of course I don't doubt DHS are rehearsing that position, to leave TSA twisting in the wind.) Whether the upcoming smackdown gets TSA only, or spreads to DHS as well, doesn't matter. Either way, its satisfying and very enjoyable to watch.
You would be surprised at how much operational leeway agencies are granted by their respective Departments.

In the case of DHS and TSA, remember that TSA predates DHS - it was created as an agency of DOT almost a year prior to the creation of DHS. Thus, TSA's regulations were largely already in place once they transferred over to DHS. Given the inherent problems associated with the creation of an entirely new Deaprtment, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit that DHS OGC wasn't in a position for some time to exercise direct supervision of TSA operations.

However, DHS OGC is fully staffed (almost), and I know for a fact these two legal actions have focused their attention on TSA operations.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller

No, I just don't write anything unless I have something to say.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would hope that some ears have perked up at the White House.

Surely someone is hearing the drum beat of discontent from people who may well impact the next election.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean

No, I just don't write anything unless I have something to say.
Wow, Dean, I guess your missed my
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:44 am

Wow, Dean, I guess your missed my
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if people actually thought that TSA did put out gag orders not to talk about stuff, though.

And I'll see your and raise you a

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.