Wiki Posts
Search

Checking my gun; need advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Checking my gun; need advice

Hello folks,
I've been reading up and studying and preparing for my flight ATL to FLL in December. I'm not a very experienced flyer: just once or twice a year for the past ten years or so. First time flying with my handgun (concealed licensee in GA and reciprocity exists with FLA). (Oh, and I'm a fat old white lady, so I don't appear particularly threatening!)

I have read a ton of info on devianting.net and elsewhere (including TSA and Delta) and Deviant Ollam's messages here and so on. Here's my first plan -- anyone see any problems or have any suggestions?

I've bought a Samsonite hard-sided 20" rolling carry-on (which I will be checking). I have a hard-sided (plastic, non-locking) case for my gun, and a smaller, separate plastic case to hold the cardboard factory box containing my bullets (not very many, just enough to fill two mags). Since I cannot lock the gun case, I intend to secure the entire suitcase instead. I am concerned about possible (destructive) 'access' provided by the case zipper and the expansion zipper, so I will lock the case zipper with a non-TSA (keyed) lock, and surround the entire case with the PacSafe 55L wire mesh (with its non-TSA lock).

I have plenty of time to wait around and let the TSA take their time (and my keys for) performing their inspection -- and I believe in ATL they do it in the check-in area, so I will be present. (Don't know about FFL, but I don't mind getting to airports very early for flights since I fly so infrequently)

Am I going way too far? (I have to admit to great pleasure and relief that there may be a way to keep them out of my checked bag; the thought of folks pilfering, or just pawing my clothes, freaks me out!)

Thanks for any help or advice!
Elenor
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Would seem to do the job.

An alternative would be to

- put a padlock on the actual gun case so it reduces access to the firearm if someone got into the case. A Glock case works well - if you don't have one then ask a LGS if they have a spare.
- use a bike wire lock to attach the gun case to the actual Samsonite case - use the metal channels that have the extending handle inside them that are under the lining.
- then lock outside of case with non-TSA lock.

This should deny access to the firearm, keep it attached to the case and make it easier to open and close for inspection.

Ammo should be fine as is. Triple check it is unloaded and enjoy those reciprical rights. FL is different from GA on some CCW regs so make sure you read up as FL rules apply.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
My experience has been that as long as you have packed things in a manner that for the most part coincides with the requirements, you will not have any hassle or issues. My suggestion would be to buy a lockable firearms case and place that inside your checked baggage. You can get one at a local sporting goods store for under $20.00 and a set of padlocks for under $10.00.

While what you describe sounds like it meets the requirements, I expect you'd most likely encounter trouble with not having a lock on the firearms case. Specifically since the zipper could be popped open using a ballpoint pen. I understand you're going to use the PacSafe stuff, but they might scoff at that as well. I could also see them saying "technically it's in an unlocked case inside a locked case".

If you decide to go with your current plan, make sure you have a plan for what you'll do if the TSA says it can't go on the plane. You'll need a way back to your car to store it there, or the person dropping you off will have to come back and get the firearm. You'll also need to have the same plan for your return flight, but on top of that you'll need to have a plan for getting the firearm back to you in Georgia.

Personally, I would spend the extra money on a lockable firearms case and then not have anything to worry about the rest of the trip.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:13 pm

You have to have a hardsided locked case somewhere between the firearm and the outside world. If your outermost case is both hardsided and locked (with a non-TSA lock) then that qualifies.

As Deviant says, you can use that requirement to lock a much bigger piece of luggage filled with other stuff as well as the firearm. Put the firearm in a gun-rug and toss it in the luggage you're using and you can toss a "F#@*-off TSA" lock on the whole thing.

But Deviant also warns that a firearm doesn't preclude further inspection, even after the unloaded demonstration. You could be called back to the TSA desk and/or called to the jet bridge before the luggage is loaded and asked to open the case for additional TSA inspection (of course locking it up after inspection is over).

Edit: Re-reading your OP, I think you may have problems with the outer case you propose. If you can split the zipper and manipulate the lid wide enough to get a hand it, it doesn't qualify. If you can unzip an expansion joint and the joint itself is soft, that no longer qualifies. The entire case has to be hard. It doesn't have to be metal, but it has to be hard.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
You need a lock for your gun case. Buy a drill, four carriage bolts and nuts, a hasp, and non TSA pad lock, and get it done.

If your goal is to keep the TSA out of the rest of your stuff, then buy a bigger no zipper hard case, like a pelican or starlight, preferably one with wheels that can be locked.

Last edited by mre5765; Nov 23, 2013 at 7:59 am
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Have to say it, another much simpler alternative would be to leave the gun at home.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by timfountain
Have to say it, another much simpler alternative would be to leave the gun at home.
Well it might be complicated to rent a gun when she gets to FL, so, no. Though Hertz ought to get in on that, for sure.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer!

Originally Posted by thetaxman
- put a padlock on the actual gun case so it reduces access to the firearm if someone got into the case. A Glock case works well - if you don't have one then ask a LGS if they have a spare.
- use a bike wire lock to attach the gun case to the actual Samsonite case - use the metal channels that have the extending handle inside them that are under the lining.
- then lock outside of case with non-TSA lock.
Hmm, my impression from Deviant Ollala is that if you have a non-TSA lock on the gun case, then you cannot use a non-TSA lock on the suitcase. (I suppose I could use a TSA lock on the gun case...)

Originally Posted by thetaxman
Ammo should be fine as is. Triple check it is unloaded and enjoy those reciprocal rights. FL is different from GA on some CCW regs so make sure you read up as FL rules apply.
Yes, thanks, been poring over the laws to make sure I understand the diffs! (Always better to avoid trouble!)
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks AdamBrock for the suggestions

Originally Posted by adambrock
My experience has been that as long as you have packed things in a manner that for the most part coincides with the requirements, you will not have any hassle or issues. My suggestion would be to buy a lockable firearms case and place that inside your checked baggage. You can get one at a local sporting goods store for under $20.00 and a set of padlocks for under $10.00.
Yeah, I suppose I'd better have it for either option.

While what you describe sounds like it meets the requirements, I expect you'd most likely encounter trouble with not having a lock on the firearms case. Specifically since the zipper could be popped open using a ballpoint pen. I understand you're going to use the PacSafe stuff, but they might scoff at that as well. I could also see them saying "technically it's in an unlocked case inside a locked case".
Because the zipper can be opened, I want to use the PacSafe -- the wire mesh (near as I can tell) closes tightly around the suitcase -- even if someone sliced the zipper (suitcase or expansion) they would not be able to open the case because of the wire mesh.

If you decide to go with your current plan, make sure you have a plan for what you'll do if the TSA says it can't go on the plane. You'll need a way back to your car to store it there, or the person dropping you off will have to come back and get the firearm. You'll also need to have the same plan for your return flight, but on top of that you'll need to have a plan for getting the firearm back to you in Georgia.
On reading everyone's advice (thanks SO much, y'all!) I'll use a(n unlocked) lockable gun case, bring a non-TSA lock for it in case I have to use it (as well as one for the suitcase per my original plan) and use the PacSafe mesh to secure the suitcase.

Personally, I would spend the extra money on a lockable firearms case and then not have anything to worry about the rest of the trip.
My biggest worry is someone stealing the gun case out of a TSA-"locked" suitcase. I'm trying to 'secure' that worry, more than any other.

Last edited by IceWoman; Nov 23, 2013 at 7:26 pm
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
You have to have a hardsided locked case somewhere between the firearm and the outside world. If your outermost case is both hardsided and locked (with a non-TSA lock) then that qualifies.
That was my impression, however my concern is a 'hard-sided suitcase' -- by virtue of the zipper-closure -- is not actually secure. (I'm more concerned about the actual security of the gun, than I am about playing 'security theater' roles. {eye roll} If I can make the TSA 'actors' happy, while providing actual security from theft -- then I'll feel good in flight!

As Deviant says, you can use that requirement to lock a much bigger piece of luggage filled with other stuff as well as the firearm. Put the firearm in a gun-rug and toss it in the luggage you're using and you can toss a "F#@*-off TSA" lock on the whole thing.
Yes, I'm trying to balance his great idea with 'normal' luggage, instead of big heavy ammo cases. I don't want to have to try to horse around some extra heavy case without wheels, just to protect my gun!

But Deviant also warns that a firearm doesn't preclude further inspection, even after the unloaded demonstration. You could be called back to the TSA desk and/or called to the jet bridge before the luggage is loaded and asked to open the case for additional TSA inspection (of course locking it up after inspection is over).
I'm entirely happy to take extra time at the airport to meet the requirements of the "play."

Edit: Re-reading your OP, I think you may have problems with the outer case you propose. If you can split the zipper and manipulate the lid wide enough to get a hand it, it doesn't qualify. If you can unzip an expansion joint and the joint itself is soft, that no longer qualifies. The entire case has to be hard. It doesn't have to be metal, but it has to be hard.
I get the impression, however, that most folks checking a gun in luggage use 'normal' hard-sided suitcases -- all of which come with a zipper closure. (Which I fear is not secure enough.)

Do most of y'all just throw a locked handgun case into a 'normal' hard-sided (zipper-closed) suitcase, lock it with a TSA-accessible lock and fly away? Is that considered enough? (And more important, IS that enough?) (Am I making this WAY harder than I need to? I'm really uptight about maintaining active control of my gun...)
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
You need a lock for your gun case. Buy a drill, four carriage bolts and nuts, a hasp, and non TSA pad lock, and get it done.
Thanks, I'll just pick up a locking guncase.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timfountain
Might be simpler, but I doubt it's wise!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
Well it might be complicated to rent a gun when she gets to FL, so, no. Though Hertz ought to get in on that, for sure.
ooohhh! I LOVE that idea! Don't have to worry about which size car you rent, just which size gun comes with it?!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by IceWoman
Do most of y'all just throw a locked handgun case into a 'normal' hard-sided (zipper-closed) suitcase, lock it with a TSA-accessible lock and fly away? Is that considered enough? (And more important, IS that enough?) (Am I making this WAY harder than I need to? I'm really uptight about maintaining active control of my gun...)
No. A smaller case within a larger case invites stealing the smaller case, unless there is a way to secure the small case to the large case.

I use "hinge with latch" style hard cases. Rifle cases (that don't look like rifle cases), Pelican style cases, or normal hinge-with-latch hard side luggage. No zips.

Another part of the regulation is that there can be nothing on the outside case that indicates that there is a firearm inside.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by IceWoman
Might be simpler, but I doubt it's wise!
Going to some bad parts of Orlando, Eh? Seriously, I've travelled all over the US and a lot of the world. I've never felt the need to pack, but that's me and my suggestion was semi-serious....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.