Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA SOP re: airport ID requirements provided to IDP via FOIA request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA SOP re: airport ID requirements provided to IDP via FOIA request

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
They couldn't figure out what you were asking for? What a load of BS.

Like I said earlier, I guess TSA hasn't heard about President Obama's directive regarding responding to FOIA requests.
My thought also. They are trying to stall with the hopes that Phil will give up.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:14 am
Original Poster

placed FOIA request for TSA Screening Management SOP manual

Originally Posted by warning1369
“Screening Management SOP” (Standard Operating Procedures) manual

That is the key point. Not all rules, policies, process and procedures are defined in that book. That is also only a baseline document to each facility.
Thanks. I didn't understand your second paragraph, but today I placed a new request for the TSA Screening Management SOP manual.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:45 am
Original Poster

TSA requests clarification of FOIA request for screening management SOP manual

Originally Posted by pmocek
today I placed a new request for the TSA Screening Management SOP manual.
TSA replied:

Good morning, I just need to clarify if you are speaking of TSO screeners or passenger screening equipment. Please clarify for us.

Thank you,

Transportation Security Administration HQ (TSA)
Office of Special Counselor (OSC)
Freedom of Information Act Office (FOIA)
Main: 866.364.2872
Fax: 571.227.1406
In response, I wrote:

I seek a written description of procedures your staff use at airport checkpoints when searching and interrogating people who are stopped by your staff at those checkpoints.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:45 am
Original Poster

update on FOIA request for TSA Screening Management SOP

I recently received notice that my request (TSA09-0624) will require TSA to invoke the 10-day extension allowed by FOIA to the 20-business-day period in which they are required to comply.

Oddly, though I requested (at warning1369's suggestion) TSA's "Screening Management SOP manual" then at the FOIA officer's request, clarified that to mean "a written description of procedures [their] staff use at airport checkpoints when searching and interrogating people who are stopped by [their] staff at those checkpoints" they now say that my request seeks numerous documents that will necessiate a thorough and wide-ranging search.

Is there not such a thing as the Screening Management SOP Manual? I figured they'd just pull one document, redact it as necessary, and pass it along.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

update on FOIA request for TSA Screening Management SOP

I recently received notice that my request (TSA09-0624) will require TSA to invoke the 10-day extension allowed by FOIA to the 20-business-day period in which they are required to comply.
As of August 3, 2009, I have received no further contact from TSA regarding my June 15, 2009, FOIA request.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of August 3, 2009, I have received no further contact from TSA regarding my June 15, 2009, FOIA request.
Wonder if a Federal Court could hold TSA's feet to the fire?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Wonder if a Federal Court could hold TSA's feet to the fire?
I welcome advice on how to go about doing that.

In the meantime, I think I'll contact my Congressional representatives with a request for assistance.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I welcome advice on how to go about doing that.

In the meantime, I think I'll contact my Congressional representatives with a request for assistance.
You might be able to file in a federal court without a lawyer but I suspect it would be fairly difficult to learn enough quickly to do it yourself. If you can find counsel the job would be much easier. Call the ACLU or ask a local legal referral group for suggestions.

I would call all your congressional reps offices telling them that TSA has not answer a FIOA request and be sure to tell them how long you have been waiting.

Ask your reps to inquire on your behalf why your request has not been answered in the time allowed under current law. Also ask your representatives why a government agency is permitted by congress to act outside the law as evidence by repeated problems noted in the press and current legal actions being taken against TSA. Lets put the blame for this self induced problem exactly were fault lies, with the United States Congress and their lack of oversight.

I think every little bit of pressure we can place on TSA will contribute to bringing change to this out of control agency.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
There are some suggestions regarding how to deal with a delayed FOIA response in the guide for reporters described in post #12.

An excerpt:

Certain agencies regularly fail to meet the Act’s time requirements. For example, the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security have an average processing rate of one year, although many requests have lingered for several years at both agencies and others. Other agencies where long delays may be anticipated include the State Department, the Justice Department and the CIA.

Because of the size of the backlogs, courts have been reluctant to strictly enforce the Act’s time limits so long as agencies are processing requests in a reasonable manner. Unless you believe that is not the case, it may be best to wait for the agency to complete the processing of your request — especially because of the 2007 provision precluding the agencies from charging fees in these cases. However, it is wise to keep in touch with the agency while your request is pending so the agency will not think you have lost interest in the documents. You can also track your request on your own, either online or over the phone, by using the tracking number the agency is required to provide you. Agencies must log the date on which they received the request and the estimated date they will complete action on the request, and link that to the tracking number.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
There are some suggestions regarding how to deal with a delayed FOIA response in the guide for reporters described in post #12.

An excerpt:

Certain agencies regularly fail to meet the Act’s time requirements. For example, the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security have an average processing rate of one year, although many requests have lingered for several years at both agencies and others. Other agencies where long delays may be anticipated include the State Department, the Justice Department and the CIA.

Because of the size of the backlogs, courts have been reluctant to strictly enforce the Act’s time limits so long as agencies are processing requests in a reasonable manner. Unless you believe that is not the case, it may be best to wait for the agency to complete the processing of your request — especially because of the 2007 provision precluding the agencies from charging fees in these cases. However, it is wise to keep in touch with the agency while your request is pending so the agency will not think you have lost interest in the documents. You can also track your request on your own, either online or over the phone, by using the tracking number the agency is required to provide you. Agencies must log the date on which they received the request and the estimated date they will complete action on the request, and link that to the tracking number.
Does anyone know how to track them online?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Does anyone know how to track them online?
I found sites for other federal agencies, but not yet for DHS.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:33 pm

I found sites for other federal agencies, but not yet for DHS.
Let me know if you find it, my Google skills have failed so far.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:32 am
Original Poster

status update on TSA passenger search/interrogation SOP FOIA request (still pending)

I e-mailed the TSA FOIA office with a request for status and received a prompt reply:

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 19:00:18 -0700
Subject: FOIA: request status of TSA09-0624
To: TSA FOIA Officer <[email protected]>

Please describe the current status of FOIA request TSA09-0624.
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:05:08 -0400
Subject: RE: FOIA: request status of TSA09-0624
To: Phillip Mocek

Mr. Mocek,

We are diligently processing your FOIA request. Due to the increasing number of FOIA request received by this office; we have encountered some delay in processing your request. We are making every effort to comply with your request in a timely manner. Currently there are 213 open requests ahead of yours.

The records responsive to your request are in SSI review.

Thank you,

TSA FOIA Office
My request was for "a written description of procedures your staff use at airport checkpoints when searching and interrogating people who are stopped by your staff at those checkpoints". Given the information that Gregg alerted me to, I think I'll give them some time and look into that 2007 provision that could prevent them from charging me for fulfilling the request. I'd love to pressure them with a federal lawsuit, but this seems more practical.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:50 am

I e-mailed the TSA FOIA office with a request for status and received a prompt reply:
I just emailed them for a status check on one of my FOIA requests. I basically copy/pasted your letter.

I am sad to say I discovered the one FOIA request they bounced for more information was never given a control number. Bummer, but that one was the light weight one that I was not even worried about.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:24 am
Suspended

This is interesting:

Due to the increasing number of FOIA request received by this office;
Perhaps the public really is finally getting fed up with the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.